Delayed Exchange Data Feed
The Sierra Chart Delayed Exchange Data Feed offers delayed, streaming data from the CME Group of exchanges (CME, CBOT, COMEX, and NYMEX). The data includes the Market Depth information.
This data is delayed by 10 minutes and 10 seconds. Therefore, when using this data feed, the data will be constantly streaming, but the data is not the Real-Time data, but is delayed by 10 minutes and 10 seconds. For example, if the current local time is 14:32:30, then this data feed will not be displaying any market data later than 14:22:20.
This data feed is only available for customers on the Sierra Chart Advanced Package (5) or on the Free Trial. There is, however, no additional cost to those customers to access and use this data.
Since this is delayed data, there are no exchange fees and no need to have a live, funded futures trading account in order to take advantage of the real-time nonprofessional exchange fees.
This data feed can also be used in conjunction with the Simulated Futures Trading Service, which allows for a more realistic simulation environment that can be used to test and modify trading algorithms and techniques without having to pay for a Real-Time data feed, or having a trading account.
When first accessing the data from the Delayed Exchange Data Feed it is possible to see up to a 10 minute wait before the data starts streaming. It is not expected that this will be the case in most cases, but it could be seen. This would be the case for the first user requesting market data for a symbol which has not been requested by any other user to give the server time to delay the data. The reason for this behavior is the efficiency of design of the Sierra Chart market data infrastructure.
The following instructions are to be used to access the Delayed Exchange Data feed.
There are a total of 4 sections to be completed. They are the following:
- Change to Package 5
- Software Upgrade
- Support for Sierra Chart Data Feeds
- Open a Chart for a Delayed Data Symbol
Change to Package 5 (Delayed Exchange Data Feed >> Setup Instructions)
This section of the Setup Instructions will detail how to change to Package 5 from Package 3.
If your Sierra Chart account is already activated for Package 5, then skip this section.
If you pay for Sierra Chart through a Reseller (you do not pay Sierra Chart directly for the software), then you will need to ask your Reseller to move you to package 5. You will need to discuss with them the change in fees that may be incurred due to this change. If this is the case, then skip this section and continue with the next one after having your Reseller put you on Package 5.
When changing service pacakges, the remaining service usage time on your account will be adjusted based upon the cost of the package you are changing to. When changing from Package 3 to Package 5, the usage time will be reduced due to the higher price. There is no charge for changing your Sierra Chart service package. Only your Sierra Chart account usage time ending date is adjusted.
- From within the Sierra Chart software, select Help >> Account Control Panel.
- Scroll down the page to the section entitled Purchase Sierra Chart Usage Time and Other Services.
- Select the link at the top of that section for Activate Services.
- In the section for Choose Service Package and Time Period for Usage Time select one of the Package 5 options.
- Select the Update/Set button.
Software Upgrade (Delayed Exchange Data Feed >> Setup Instructions)
This section of the Setup Instructions ensures that the Sierra Chart software is at a version that supports the Delayed Exchange Data Feed.
In order to be able to use the Delayed Streaming Data Feed, it is necessary that the Sierra Chart software be at version 2014 or higher. If the software is already at version 2014 or higher, then the following steps in this section can be skipped.
- Run the Sierra Chart software.
- Within the Sierra Chart software, select the pulldown Help >> Download Current Version.
- When prompted to close Sierra Chart since the software has been downloaded, select Yes.
- When prompted to Save the data in the Chartbooks, select Yes or No as needed.
- Select the Install button.
- When prompted that the installation is complete, select the OK button.
- Select the Close button and Sierra Chart will restart and will be running the Current Version.
Setting Up Support for Sierra Chart Data Feeds (Delayed Exchange Data Feed >> Setup Instructions)
- The delay data is accessible with the following Services in Sierra Chart:
- SC Data-All Services
- Trading Evaluator-Delayed
- SC Futures Order Routing/Data
- Within the Sierra Chart software, select Global Settings >> Data/Trade Service Settings. Select one of the above services.
- To ensure you receive the delay data when using SC Data-All Service,/b>s, you would want to uncheck Allow Support for Sierra Chart Data Feeds (see image below).
- Select OK.
Open a Chart for a Delayed Data Symbol (Delayed Exchange Data Feed >> Setup Instructions)
This section of the Setup Instructions opens a symbol for the delayed data.
- Within Sierra Chart select File >> Find Symbol.
- On the Find Symbol window, select a symbol from the CME, CBOT, COMEX, or NYMEX exchange, and select the Open Historical/Intraday Chart button.
- Select the Close button to close the Find Symbol window.
*Last modified Saturday, 23rd November, 2019.