Bitcoin Data and Trading Services
- What is Included
- Setup Instructions
- Market Depth Data
- Numbers Bars Study with Bitcoin/Crypto Currency Symbols
Sierra Chart fully supports market data in the crypto currency/Bitcoin markets.
Complete market data feeds from the major crypto currency exchanges are supported. The data includes real-time data, market depth data, historical Daily, and historical Intraday data.
What is Included
- Streaming Real-Time Data: Yes.
- Historical Intraday Data: Yes.
- Historical Daily Data: Yes.
- Historical BidVolume and AskVolume: Yes.
- Live Trading: No.
- Simulated Trading: Yes.
- Order Types Supported: Market and Limit. Client side managed Stop orders will be added.
- Server Managed OCO (Order Cancels Order): No.
- Automated Trading (applies to Live or Simulated): Yes.
- Select Global Settings >> Data/Trade Service Settings.
- Set the Service to Cryptocurrencies Data - DTC. If you do not see this service listed, then update Sierra Chart by selecting Help >> Download Current Version. This service provides market data from the following exchanges:
- Set the Intraday Data Storage Time Unit to what you require.
- Press OK to close the Data/Trade Service Settings window.
- Select File >> Connect to Data Feed.
- If there any connection problems, they will be displayed in Window >> Message Log. In this case, refer to Help Topic 1.
- To open a chart select File >> Find Symbol. All of the symbols are categorized under the following subcategories: BitMEX, Crypto Currencies, Poloniex. Refer to the image below.
In the case of BitMEX and Poloniex it is necessary to first get the symbols. For instructions, refer to Get Symbols.
Select the symbol that you want and open a Historical Chart, Intraday Chart or a Trading DOM.
- Continue with Step 3 in the Getting Started instructions.
Market Depth Data
To view the market depth data for a chart or Trade DOM, select Chart >> Open Market Depth Window.
In the Bitcoin market, there are a large number of market depth Bid and Ask levels. Many of which have very small quantities/sizes which unnecessarily clutter the display.
In order to provide an easier to read market depth display and ensure Sierra Chart can display all of the available levels, Sierra Chart consolidates market depth Bid and Ask levels into a larger price increment. This increment is dynamically calculated on our server.
In this case what Sierra Chart will do, is it takes the market depth Bid or Ask price price and rounds it to the nearest increment being used. Every market depth Bid and Ask price that is rounded to the same price, has its quantity/size added to the quantity/size for that market depth price level.
Market depth Bid or Ask levels with a quantity/size of 0.02 Bitcoin are ignored.
When viewing market depth in the Trade DOM columns you will need to increase the Chart >> Chart Settings >> Tick Size to a larger increment. For example, change it from .01 to 1.
Also refer to Customizing Trade DOM and Chart DOM Columns to add the Bid Size and Ask Size columns to view the market depth quantities/sizes on the Trade DOM or Chart DOM.
Numbers Bars Study with Bitcoin/Crypto Currency Symbols
The Numbers Bars study can be used with any of the Bitcoin / Crypto Currency symbols provided by Sierra Chart.
However, due to the wider range of prices with these symbols, it may be necessary to adjust the Tick Size to a larger increment in order to get a readable display and to improve performance. Otherwise, there may be an enormous amount of processing involved to handle smaller tick sizes which would be very inefficient and cause Sierra Chart to freeze at times.
Follow the instructions below to use the Numbers Bars study with these symbols.
- Open an Intraday chart for a Bitcoin/Crypto Currency symbol or go to an existing Intraday chart.
- Select Chart >> Chart Settings.
- If the symbol has values of 100 or higher, it is recommended to set the Tick Size setting to 1. This can be adjusted as necessary.
- Add the Numbers Bars study to the chart following the Numbers Bars step-by-step instructions.
- Once you have a Numbers Bars display, you will notice that the price levels displayed within each Numbers Bar is according to the Tick Size you have set. If there are too few levels, you can decrease the tick size to a smaller value. If there are too many levels, you will need to increase the Tick Size setting to a larger value.
Additional keywords: Bit coin.
*Last modified Monday, 09th October, 2017.