Using Multiple Data and Trading Services at the Same Time
- Step-By-Step Instructions to Install Multiple Copies of Sierra Chart
- Setting Chart to Reference Local Symbol Data File Instead of Remote Data File
- Why We do Not Support Connections to Two Primary Data and Trading Services in the Same Copy of Sierra Chart
- Using DTC Server for Data and Trading in Another Sierra Chart Instance (new page)
In this documentation the term "copy" and "instance" have the same meaning. A copy or instance of Sierra Chart is an installation of Sierra Chart in its own folder which runs independent from any other instance or copy.
With Sierra Chart, you are able to run multiple copies/instances of the program at the same time on your computer. The purpose of this is to be able to use more than one different Data or Trading service at the same time. These are the services you select through the Global Settings >> Data/Trade Service Settings >> Service setting.
This can all be accomplished by running multiple copies/instances of Sierra Chart at the same time. Each one is located in its own folder on your computer.
Although it is important to be aware that in the case of when using the Sierra Chart Exchange Data Feed, this data feed can be used on its own and is also integrated with all Trading services. Therefore, there is no need to use multiple copies of Sierra Chart running on your system. You can use just one single copy. For additional information about this, refer to Integration with Trading Services.
There is also the ability to run multiple copies of Sierra Chart using market data and trading functionality from a single Server copy of Sierra Chart. This is very useful because some Data and Trading services only only allow one simultaneous connection per username/account to that particular service.
For additional information about using other copies of Sierra Chart which share the market data and trading functionality from a Server copy of Sierra Chart, refer to Using DTC Server for Data and Trading in Another Sierra Chart Instance.
When using multiple copies of Sierra Chart, each copy of Sierra Chart needs to be located in its own folder on your computer. It is that simple and very reliable.
Before using this feature, it is important to be aware that it is possible in Sierra Chart to use multiple trading accounts within a single copy/instance of Sierra Chart, if the particular Trading service username that you are logged in with, supports multiple trading accounts. For more information, refer to Selecting Trade Account. In this particular case, using multiple copies of Sierra Chart is unnecessary.
Step-By-Step Instructions to Install Multiple Copies of Sierra Chart
To use multiple Data or Trading services or Trading accounts at the same time, you need to install additional copies of Sierra Chart. The Sierra Chart licensing allows you to do this. In this way, you will have full access to all the capabilities each service provides.
You can also configure each copy of Sierra Chart to use the same Trading service but a different Trading service account. Multiple copies of Sierra Chart can be run at the same time if each copy is installed to and running from a different folder on your computer. Follow the instructions below to do this:
Installing multiple copies of Sierra Chart is also useful for distributing processing load.
- Download and install a second copy of Sierra Chart to "C:\SierraChart2\" or whatever unused folder you want to use. Download Sierra Chart from the Download page.
- If you want to copy settings from an existing installation of Sierra Chart to a new installation, refer to help topic 15.
- Start the second copy from that folder. On your desktop and also from the programs list on the Windows Start menu, you will notice a shortcut icon to the new installed copy of Sierra Chart. The icon name will have the folder you installed Sierra Chart to. You can use that icon to easily start Sierra Chart. You may also want to rename it to a more useful name.
- Login with your same Sierra Chart Account Name and password that you used with the original installation. You can also use another Sierra Chart account if you wish.
- Configure the second copy of Sierra Chart to the Data or Trading Service you want to use it with, by following the setup instructions for the Data or Trading Service you will be using.
- By running multiple copies of Sierra Chart at the same time, you can connect to multiple Data or Trading services or service accounts at the same time. You can install as many copies of Sierra Chart as you need. Each one needs to be in its own folder.
- To share data from the data feeds of the multiple copies of Sierra Chart that you have installed and are running with other copies/instances of Sierra Chart, refer to the Using DTC Server for Data and Trading in Another Sierra Chart Instance.
Setting Chart to Reference Local Symbol Data File Instead of Remote Data File
The following instructions explain how to set a chart to reference the local chart data file instead of a remote chart data file from another remote copy of Sierra Chart. This information is here because some users may be using the no longer supported remote chart data file feature.
- In the Destination copy of Sierra Chart, this is the copy where the chart is open, select Chart >> Chart Settings on the menu.
- Press the Find button beside the Symbol box.
- In the Instance list box at the top of the Find Symbol window, select the Service which has [This Instance] at the end. You must choose this one.
- Select the symbol from the available symbols.
- Press OK.
- To prevent a remote chart data file from being used again, do not change the File >> Find Symbol >> Instance setting when opening a chart.
Why We do Not Support Connections to Two Primary Data and Trading Services in the Same Copy of Sierra Chart
Sierra Chart has the capability to connect to alternate historical and real-time data sub services at the same time while having a connection to the primary Data and Trading server. These alternate sub services use reliable and standardized communication protocols.
However, we do not support a connection to 2 primary streaming data feeds or Trading services at the same time within the same copy. It is not a good idea for us to connect to 2 primary streaming data feeds within the same copy because this gets confusing in many ways, and if one data feed has trouble it will create problems for the other data feed and it gets really confusing for the user and for us to debug these kinds of issues.
Instead Sierra Chart supports running multiple copies for the highest degree of reliability and ease of troubleshooting problems.
*Last modified Saturday, 24th June, 2017.