What Is New
Log of Changes and Improvements to Sierra Chart
This list contains major items of development, items which are notable, and changes and additions which users need to be informed about.
This is not a comprehensive changes and additions log. It only represents less than 25% of the actual development performed every day. There are not version notes for each version. The main Sierra Chart documentation is updated as needed relating to the changes and additions.
In addition to the below listed items for each version, there are also various low-level improvements, issues resolved, and small additions that a release has which are not listed.
1419 Release Date: 2016-05-27
- When using the Volume by Price study with the TPO Profile Chart study, all of the extension options for the Point of Control and Value Area are now supported with optional labels and they are all based upon volume profile calculations rather than TPOs.
- Resolved a problem where you could receive an error about creating the Trade Manager. This has now been solved. It occurred from a recent release related to logging improvements for Trade Position data updates.
- Other low-level development.
1416 Release Date: 2016-05-24
- The Message Log, Trade Service Log, Trade Orders and Positions, and Alerts Manager, now use the following Global Settings >> Graphics Settings color settings: General Text Window Background Color and General Text Window Text Color.
- Added a new Input Setting to the Volume by Price study named Set As Independent Volume Profile for TPO Chart which when set to Yes, allows single Volume Profiles to be added to TPO Profile charts which are independent of the individual TPO profiles.
- A new Volume Graph Period Type has been added to the Volume by Price study named "Specified Volume" which creates profiles based on the specified volume set with the Volume per Profile for Specified Volume Input.
- This was previously added but now is currently documented: New ACSIL functions for getting and setting persistent SCStrings have been added to ACSIL.
- Restored the original date control to the Date and Time Input setting for studies.
- Intraday file writing is now done on a background thread of execution.
- Other low-level development and issues resolved.
1412 Release Date: 2016-05-14
- Added Time Series Forecast study.
- Corrected an exception issue from the previous release related to downloading of user files like Chartbooks at startup.
- The new Sierra Chart installer is now released.
1411 Release Date: 2016-05-12
- Various low-level improvements.
- Sierra Chart now receives updated account information even while running. Therefore changes to your account like with usage time payments and the Sierra Chart Exchange Data Feed are automatically received by Sierra Chart. There is no longer a need to restart. In the case of when using custom studies from other sources which require authorization, those authorizations and any associated files are also received without restarting Sierra Chart.
1406 Release Date: 2016-05-06
- Corrected a problem with New Spreadsheets where when referencing data on a different Sheet within a Spreadsheetwindow and the data changes in the source sheet, the cell containing the reference does not update in the destination sheet.
- Added a new Background Coloring Method: "Based On AskVol BidVol Diagonal Difference Percentage" in the Numbers Bars study.
- Added Global Settings >> Set System Date-Time from Server.
- The two Username and Password settings for CQG FIX Trading have been combined into one. There is now also a new CQG setting in Global Settings >> Data/Trade Service Settings: Connect to Market Data Server.
1401 Release Date: 2016-04-27
- Corrected a problem from a recent release with the Move to Breakeven for Stop functionality not being active for server-side bracket orders.
- Now when using the Sierra Chart Exchange Data Feed with the lower-priced CME Group exchanges, it is only necessary to connect once a month to a live trading account. The other times you can connect to the SC Data - All Services and still receive the CME real-time data. For Interactive Brokers, added the option Global Settings >> Data/Trade Service Settings >> Trade Settings >> Perform Automatic Trading Account Check for SC Exchange Data Feed. When this is enabled, a connection to TWS will occur automatically as needed when using the SC Data - All Services service in order to receive the real-time CME data if using the lower-priced CME exchange fees.
- Numbers Bars Calculated Values study has two new subgraphs: Diagonal Positive Delta Sum, Diagonal Negative Delta Sum
- The Numbers Bars study has a new Text Type named Ask Bid Volume Difference Diagonal. Separate color coding for this type has not yet been implemented. It also does not support minimum and maximum highlighting.
- Internal performance improvements with the handling of text strings.
- File >> New Instance now works for Transact users.
- The list of spread symbols returned when using Get Spreads on the Find Symbol window are now sorted.
1400 Release Date: 2016-04-23
- Corrected a problem with CQG Bid and Ask processing which occurred during some recent changes.
- For the Spreadsheet System for Trading study added the following new Spreadsheet Sheet inputs to control the order quantity for Buy Exit and Sell Exit: Use Seperate Exit Order Quantity and Exit Order Quantity.
1399 Release Date: 2016-04-22
- Corrected a problem with Bid and Ask update processing for Interactive Brokers and Rithmic which arose due to some recent changes.
- Corrected a problem from 1398 which was causing a protocol buffer error when using the CQG trading platform service. This arose because a new protocol buffer definition file was being used ahead of the release on the CQG Web API production server.
1397 Release Date: 2016-04-19
- Additional performance improvements with TPO Profile Charts. The most recent changes are not likely to make a noticeable difference.
- Corrected a problem that arose in the prior pre-release causing an abnormal shutdown related to chart drawings from Advanced Custom Studies.
- New Data Recording Suffix: -BID_ASK_TRADE_SYNC.
1395 Release Date: 2016-04-13
- Added Study Subgraph Daily High Low study. This study will draw lines at the highest high and lowest low of the Study Subgraph being referenced, incrementally throughout the day.
- Added support for TPO Profile splitting when the Sub Period Price Display Style study Input is set to Horizontal Bars.
- Additional performance improvements with TPO Profile Charts.
1394 Release Date: 2016-04-10
- Additional performance improvements with New Spreadsheets. The opening of Spreadsheets is now faster when a spreadsheet is opened by the Spreadsheet Study.
- Finalized improvements to the TPO Profile Chart study scaling which now has much improved performance.
- Various other low level improvements and additions.
1393 Release Date: 2016-04-05
- Reduced CPU usage for the TPO Profile Chart study. The way scaling is handled is different and more efficient. The automatic adjustment of the scale based upon the high to low range is not yet fully implemented in this release but the basic functionality works. There is also a new study Input named Sub Period Price Display Style. It can be any of the following: Blocks, Letters, Horizontal Bars. Horizontal Bars is limited with display functionality but it is very fast.
1392 Release Date: 2016-04-02
- Resolved some issues relating to File >> New Instance.
- Corrected a problem with the calculation of Maximum Open Position Profit/Loss for the currently open Trade Position after the position quantity has changed from the initial value.
- Changed the JSON field names in the DTC Protocol client and server to support and use double quotation marks around them.
- Solved problem with downloading of historical Intraday data for EUREX contracts when using Rithmic.
- Performance improvements with the Trade >> Trade Activity Log.
- Solved a problem with existing Continuous Futures Contract charts from existing Chartbooks not working in new instances of Sierra Chart when the Service is DTC - Sub Instance.
- This version now supports downloading Historical Intraday data that is current to the real-time for ICE exchange symbols when using a supported trading service. This is a necessary update to receive real-time historical Intraday data for ICE symbols when authorized for that exchange in your trading account. This does not apply to the Sierra Chart Exchange Data Feed.
1389 Release Date: 2016-03-29
- Various improvements to the File >> New Instance functionality. There is now a setting to automatically start new instances on start up in Global Settings >> General Settings. This is a comma separated list of instance numbers.
- Small low-level changes related to the management of Attached Orders when using the DTC Server.
- New Chart >> Chart Settings >> Advanced Settings 2 option has been added: Show Hidden Drawings.
- The Spreadsheet >> Quote Spreadsheet setting now applies to individual Sheets rather than entire Sheet Collections.
- Numbers Bars study now allows Open and Close Marker Style to be set to Candlestick Body Filled or Candlestick Body Outline.
- New study: Bar Delta Below Bar displays the current bar delta value below each bar.
- Numbers Bars Calculated Values study Finish calculations have been updated.
1386 Release Date: 2016-03-26
- Various low-level trading related work relating to the DTC Server.
- Corrected a significant stability problem which is caused by the DTC Historical Data Server which is used by the File >> New Instance command. It is critical to update to this release when using the DTCHistorical Data Server or New Instance.
1385 Release Date: 2016-03-21
- File >> New Instance has been added to start new instances of Sierra Chart.
- Improvements to Constant Range Scaling. Some settings specific to the use of the Constant Range scale type have been merged into a new drop-down in the Scale window. The old settings that this replaced includes the Auto-Centering check box, the Constant Range Scale With Auto-Center: Use Last Price Only check box, and the Constant Range Scale: Keep Last Bar In View check box.
A new constant range scale mode named Re-Center When The Last Bar Exceeds A Certain Number Of Ticks From The Center is available. The Scale window has been updated to include an input to specify the number of ticks to use for this mode.
- Spreadsheets now have a TRUE/FALSE number format available.
- VWAP Rolling study has new period type option "Days - 24 Hour Period" allowing bar-by-bar type of day rolling.
- New Data/Trade Services to support the new connection model for FXCM and LMAX.
1382 Release Date: 2016-03-16
- Improvements to DTC Server. This includes the modification of server side bracket orders. The server (when Sierra Chart is used as a server) modifies the attached bracket orders to maintain the original offset they have to the parent order, on a parent fill.
- Added support for LMAX Stop-Limit orders and resolved a problem relating to the modification of a Stop-Limit order for services that do not support Stop order modification.
- Corrected a problem with TPO Profile Charts arising from a recent release where Letter/Blocks will be slightly misaligned when using a Letter/Block Price Increment in Ticks Input setting greater than 1.
- Additional functionality added to the Relative Volume study. Added the Volume Average Type Input which has the options Average Volume and Median Volume. These control how the average volumes are calculated. Added new Study Subgraphs: Average Volume and Average Cumulative Volume, allowing access to the actual average values instead of the Relative Volume percentages.
- Corrected a problem with the setting of the ACSIL variable sc.IsFullRecalculation arising in a recent release.
- Corrected a problem from a recent release where some pricing data could potentially be skipped when filling simulated orders originating from Charts/Trade DOMs and modifying trailing stop orders originating from Charts/Trade DOMs. This did not affect back tests.
- Corrected a problem with the cancellation of Attached Orders when there are linked orders. This arose in a recent release. In some cases some Attached Orders would not be canceled when they should be.
- Disabled use of server-side OCO orders with the FXCM Trading service because the FXCM server is no longer handling those properly. We expect within the next 30 days to be releasing support for a new connection model for FXCM which will support full server-side OCO and bracket orders and have no account minimums.
1377 Release Date: 2016-03-08
- Improvements to the automatic downloading of user files from the Web server.
- Continued improvements with the DTC Server.
- Fixed a historical data issue with the Rithmic trading platform service relating to the downloading of 1 minute historical data from the Rithmic system.
- Added support for forward curves with the Continuous Futures Contract option.
- Added new Rollover Rule: "Number Of Calendar Days Before Friday Count Within Following Contract Month". This is used for the CBOE volatility Index futures.
- Added support for LMAX Trading service through central FIX order routing connection using the DTC Protocol.
- Menu commands have been added to go to prior and next Sheets within a Spreadsheet. Keyboard shortcuts can be manually set up for these.
- Added a delay before starting a historical data request which occurs after subscribing to real-time data so that when the historical data download is complete, and if there is any small amount of data missing it is filled in with the real-time received data during that delay.
- Various low-level improvements and issues resolved.
1375 Release Date: 2016-03-01
- There has been a change to the filling of simulated Stop orders. The changes are as follows: In the case where the Bid and Ask prices are higher than the last trade price, then a Buy Stop order will be filled at the last trade price +1 Tick. In the case where the Bid and Ask prices are lower than the last trade price, then a Sell Stop order will be filled at the last trade price -1 Tick.
- Resolved some issues and made improvements to the DTC Server related to Trade Simulation Mode. The LOGON_REQUEST TradeMode setting is no longer used in the DTC Server. Instead it is a combination of the Trade Account (whether it is a simulated account or not) and the global Trade Simulation Mode setting in the Server which controls whether a trade is simulated or not.
1373 Release Date: 2016-02-26
- It is now supported to import simulated order fills into the Trade >> Trade Activity Log.
- New built-in chart bar type in Chart >> Chart Settings: Point And Figure.
- Added new ACSIL function sc.ChangeACSChartShortcutMenuItemText.
- Various work with the DTC Server in Sierra Chart relating to trading and market data. The DTC Server for simulated trading is still undergoing testing and there may be some issues that still need to be resolved.
- Corrected a problem with the filling of simulated orders that originate from the DTC Server where incorrect fill prices may have been used.
- Improvements to the internal handling and logging of Order cancel rejections and order modification rejections. The DTC Server now will always provide consistent and reliable Order Updates for these.
- Corrected a problem from a recent release where when there is an order modification reject of a parent order, the Attached Orders were not restored back to their prior prices. This is now solved. This was a problem that developed recently when Attached Orders are modified first before the parent order which is necessary to support the DTC Server in Sierra Chart.
- Corrected some issues with the Exporting and Importing of Trade Activity Log data.
- Corrected a problem with the Time and Sales Settings window where it would not close when pressing the OK button.
- Added new color settings to the Global Settings >> Graphics Settings window to set the text and foreground colors for all of the text based windows. This has been implemented for the Trade Orders and Positions window. Support for these color settings for other windows will be added soon.
- Added new color settings to the Global Settings >> Graphics Settings window to set the colors of the Profit/ Loss text displays on the Trade Window.
1371 Release Date: 2016-02-18
- Prevented a usually unnecessary reconnect to the data feed when closing the Data/Trade Service Settings window and also when Symbol Settings are received. Both of these are the result of recent changes.
- Finished the development of the multithreaded and multiple connection DTC Historical Price Data Server. Only DTC Binary Encoding is currently supported. There are no plans to support other DTC encodings anytime soon. And as a general rule JSON encoding will not be supported with historical price data.
- Added new Draw Style named: Custom Value At Y.
- Added Point and Figure as a new Chart >> Chart Settings >> Bar Period Type. This is in addition to the study and provides efficient and very accurate Point and Figure bars.
1369 Release Date: 2016-02-13
- Corrected an integer overflow problem when rounding numbers to an increment when evaluating alert formulas. This may have affected the evaluation of alert formulas when the formula is using large numbers like Volume/Quantity numbers from the main price graph.
- The Numbers Bars Calculated Values study now supports referencing another Intraday chart for the purpose of accessing chart data that uses different Volume Filtering compared to the chart it is applied to. This feature was added previously but some additional work has been done to it to complete it.
1368 Release Date: 2016-02-11
- Added the new input setting: "Include Fill Space In Developing Period Width" to the Volume by Price study. When this Input setting is set, the chart fill space is included into the Volume Profile width of a developing period, allowing more space for a developing Volume Profile to be displayed.
- When saving a single study as a Study Collection, and it is not in Chart Region 1, it will be set to be in Chart Region 2 and the Chart Region height percentages are properly saved with the Study Collection.
- Added the Automatic option to the Maximum Volume Bar Width Type Input with the Volume by Price study. It will select the period width until it exceeds the window width, at which point it will use the window width.
- Added the Volume Bar Minimum Width in Chart Bars Input to the Volume by Price study.
- Server-side OCO is now supported with the CQG Web API.
- New input added to the Volume Weighted Average Price - Rolling and Moving Average - Rolling High Accuracy studies. Refer to the updated documentation for these studies.
- New Global Settings >> Chart Trade Settings option: Disable Order Confirmations - Global.
- The study Numbers Bars Average Volume/Price Graph study has been added.
- Various low-level improvements and additions to the DTC Protocol implementation.
1366 Release Date: 2016-02-05
- Continued improvements to the DTC Protocol server. Corrected a problem with the DTC Protocol Server where when there is more than one client connected and they are subscribed to market depth data for the same symbol, the SymbolID in the market depth updates was not correct for additional clients beyond the first one.
- Low-level changes/issues resolved relating to Tick Size, Value Format and Price Multipliers when using the Sierra Chart Exchange Data Feed. when Auto Set from Data Feed was checked in Chart >> Chart Settings, and using the Sierra Chart Exchange Data Feed, the Price Multipliers were incorrectly being set.
- Continued improvements to New Spreadsheets.
- Added new rollover date rule for ICE Brent crude oil futures.
- The connection to TeleTrader is no longer performed through a separate DTC bridge program and is direct from the Sierra Chart main process.
- The Relay Server has been removed (Global Settings >> Data/Trade Service Settings >> SC Server Settings) and has been replaced.
If you have been using the Relay Server, for the same functionality you need to use the DTC Protocol Server and send a LOGIN_REQUEST message to put the connection into Relay Server Mode. Refer to the updated Relay Server documentation for specific instructions.
1364 Release Date: 2016-01-30
- Corrected a problem with the Initial Balance study not working on Mondays when the Initial Balance Type is Daily and the time range overlaps midnight.
- Corrected another price mapping problem from the prior release that existed under certain conditions with the Recent Bid/Ask Volume and Current Traded Bid/Ask/Total Volume market data columns.
1362 Release Date: 2016-01-30
- Added the General Settings >> Subscribe Real-time Data and Download Historical Data During Scan option. When this is enabled, real-time data will be subscribed to and historical data will be downloaded for symbols that are being scanned when using the Scanning functionality.
- Support for unbundled CME trade data from the CTS T4 trading service. There is currently not an option for this so the CME data from CTS will always be processed as unbundled but an option will be added soon.
- Solved a price mapping problem from a recent release that existed under certain conditions and with certain values with the Recent Bid/Ask Volume and Current Traded Bid/Ask/Total Volume market data columns.
- Resolved some small potential issues when submitting an order for a different Symbol or Trade account from ACSIL.
- In the DTC Protocol Server, the Require TLS (transport layer security) is now supported in properly implemented. When this is enabled, the connection will be encrypted and only an encrypted connection will work. TLS version 1.2 should be used when connecting to the DTC Protocol Server when using TLS.
1360 Release Date: 2016-01-27
- There is a new option Settings >> Auto Set Alert Text Column Width on the Alert Manager. Toggling this off will prevent the Alert Text column from being automatically sized.
- Corrected a problem with the CQG Web API trading interface where the price set for order modifications and for order updates for certain symbols (like Silver) was incorrect.
- Added new ACSIL functions: sc.TimeStringToSCDateTime and sc.IsDateTimeContainedInBarIndex. The documentation will be updated.
1359 Release Date: 2016-01-27
- Corrected a problem with the CQG Web API trading interface where the price set for submitted orders for certain symbols like silver was incorrect.
- Other low-level improvements.
1358 Release Date: 2016-01-23
- Continued performance improvements with New Spreadsheets.
- Corrected a problem with the TeleTrader data service where when a symbol contains more than two delimiters, it is now properly parsed rather than giving a symbol error.
- The Trade Account field is now set from open orders sent by IB Trader Workstation.
- Other low-level improvements.
1355 Release Date: 2016-01-16
- Corrected problem with New Spreadsheets where when pasting a formula into a cell, the formula result may have been incorrect until the cell was recalculated.
- Continued performance improvements with New Spreadsheets.
- Changes to Automated Trade Management where Market orders are not attempted to be canceled when orders are set to be canceled on entries, reversals, and exits because market orders cannot be expected to be canceled. Therefore, market orders are considered in calculations of working orders when combined with the current Trade Position Quantity, even if the variables to cancel orders have been set to TRUE/Yes. This functionality still requires testing. An automated trading system needs to be tested with this version and higher in Trade Simulation Mode to verify it will function correctly. Although we see no reason why any changes to an automated trading system would be necessary. The changes done are to ensure that automated trading works more safely since market orders cannot be expected to be successfully canceled under usual conditions.
- Added Average Price for Bar study which is meant to normally be used as a hidden study and allow other studies to be based on it to use these average prices as necessary.
*Last modified Wednesday, 19th December, 2018.