Using Chart Templates
- Study Collections
- Duplicating Charts / Template Charts
- Setting Default Chart Settings For New Charts
- Changing the Symbol of the Chart
- Default Symbol Settings
Using Chart Templates
There are several methods by which you can use default Symbol Settings, default Chart Settings, and sets of studies, for new charts, duplicated charts, and when you change the symbol of a chart.
All of these methods are explained below.
The studies on a chart can be saved as a Study Collection. A Study Collection can then be applied to an existing or new chart by selecting the Study Collection name from the Analysis menu.
All of the existing saved Study Collection names are listed directly on the Analysis menu.
You also have the ability to set this Study Collection to automatically be applied to new charts that you open.
For complete instructions for all of the above, refer to the Study Collections page.
Duplicating Charts / Template Charts
The simplest method to use a chart or Trade DOM as a template and create an identical one is to use the Duplicate Chart commands.
What we recommend doing is create a chart or charts that serve as templates for other charts. You can actively use this chart or these charts, or just keep them minimized and out-of-the-way. In this way the chart serves as a template.
When you want a chart based on one of them, simply duplicate one to the same or a different Chartbook. Either are possible. By supporting the use of existing charts as templates, you have an unlimited set of possible configurations that you can use as templates and for default settings.
Follow the instructions below to duplicate a chart or Trade DOM.
- Go to the chart or Trade DOM you want to duplicate.
- Use one of the following methods to duplicate it.
- Select Chart >> Duplicate Chart to duplicate the chart or Trade DOM to the same Chartbook.
- Select Chart >> Duplicate Chart to Chartbook to duplicate the chart to a different Chartbook.
- After you duplicate a chart, you have the ability to change the symbol on the duplicated chart to any symbol. For complete step-by-step instructions, refer to the Duplicate Chart documentation.
- An easier way to duplicate a chart or Trade DOM and automatically change the symbol is to select File >> Find Symbol. Select the symbol in the list you want for the duplicated chart or Trade DOM and press the Duplicate Active Chart button.
Setting Default Chart Settings For New Charts
You are able to set defaults for the following Chart Settings: Days to Load, Intraday Bar Period (Intraday charts only), Graph Draw Type. The Graph Draw Type is the setting for the bar type (Open High Low Close Bars, Candlestick Bars, ...).
- Select Chart >> Chart Settings on the menu.
- Set the Days to Load, Intraday Bar Period (Intraday charts only) and the Graph Draw Type as you require.
- Enable the Save Days to Load, Intraday Bar Period, Graph Draw Type as Default option.
- Press OK.
- When you open a new chart, these default settings will be applied to that new chart.
You should also be familiar with Chartbooks (workspaces). Charts that you open should be saved to Chartbooks. This way you can reopen them at once with the same configuration that you had when you saved the chartbook. For more information, refer to Chartbooks.
Changing the Symbol of the Chart
Another method by which you can use a chart as a template and reuse its existing settings and studies is to change the symbol of the chart to another symbol.
Refer to the Changing the Symbol of a Chart documentation for instructions.
Default Symbol Settings
The Symbol Settings defined for a symbol or symbol pattern in Global Settings >> Symbol Settings, will automatically be applied to new charts for the matching symbol and when changing the symbol of a chart.
For complete details, refer to the Global Symbol Settings page.
*Last modified Monday, 09th January, 2017.