What Is New
Log of Changes and Improvements to Sierra Chart
This list contains major items of development, items which are notable, and changes and additions which users need to be informed about.
This is not a comprehensive changes and additions log. It only represents less than 25% of the actual development performed every day. There are not version notes for each version. The main Sierra Chart documentation is updated as needed relating to the changes and additions.
In addition to the below listed items for each version, there are also various low-level improvements, issues resolved, and small additions that a release has which are not listed.
- Sierra Investment Software now offers Historical Daily Data as an option. For complete details, see the Historical Daily Data page. 5 years of Historical Daily Data for Sierra Chart is provided. This option is great for TransAct users, as an alternative to IB Historical Daily Data, or for users who just need daily historical charts.
- *Chart Download status and Symbol Errors are now displayed directly on the chart window. This is a major improvement in the communication of these messages. If you have ever experienced a chart not updating for a moment with real time data, now it is very clear why this can happen. This is usually due to a download in progress.
- A new Options Format is supported for IB. An Example is: ZN-FOP-200612-107-P-ECBOT.
- A new setting has been added to the General Settings window. You can now choose to display the Alert Log when a Study Alert is added.
- The Kagi, Renko, and Three Line Break charts have been enhanced. You can now add other studies to them.
- Changes to Getting Quotes on a Spreadsheet: When a # instead of a / precedes a symbol in a Quote Request on a Spreadsheet, the Number Formatting for the cells are ignored. The Quote Values are currently formatted to 5 decimal places. It is planned shortly that the formatting will be based on exchange specifications. If you precede the symbol with a /, then the cell number formatting is applied. Number formats can be controlled by selecting Spreadsheet >> Number Format on the menu.
- TPO and Volume Profile has been greatly enhanced with new customization options. Additionally, a new dialog window has been created to make it easier when customizing the TPO and Volume Profile study.
- Corrected a problem from version 106 with downloading historical intraday data when using the TransAct service.
- Corrected a problem where alerts would only play once.
- Corrected a problem where not all tick data was downloaded from DTN IQ Feed.
- Corrected a minor problem where a single day of data was lost when downloading historical daily data from MyTrack.
- Added the Zig Zag Study.
- Corrected a problem where tool lines/text would not display in the correct location after a chartbook was reopened when a non-zero time offset was set in the data/trade service settings window.
- Added the Three Line Break Chart Study (Special Feature).
- Made some internal improvements to the TPO and Volume Profile study.
- Corrected some problems with downloading Historical Intraday Data when using TransAct.
- Added the Renko Chart Study (Special Feature).
- Added the Kagi Chart Study (Special Feature).
- Made some internal improvements to the TPO and Volume Profile study.
- A Lock Scale feature had been added to the interactive scale menu. This simply prevents the scale from being modified while it is locked.
- A new color input has been added for TPO/Volume Profile. As a result, you may have to re-add the study or reconfigure your colors to get correct colors.
- Volume Profile Gridlines can now be hidden by setting the gridline distance to a negative number. Note that the distance of the gridlines (and ultimately the bars) are still controlled by this number.
- When using a solid color for TPO's, TPO POC/VA Bar Colors now controls what the POC and VA TPO colors are when the Use Different Colors for POC/VA option is turned on.
- TPO/Volume Profile Periods are able to be significantly closer to each other than before, this is still controlled with bar spacing.
- In the TPO/Volume Profile Chart Study, the 1 Day/Custom Days Time Increment (in Minutes) option can now be set to 1440 to represent a whole day increment. For more information on this see the TPO/Volume Profile Study Inputs Documentation Page.
- With the Volume Study, when there is no difference between the open and close, the bar color is now colored as the average of the 2 colors.
- Corrected minor synchronization and timing issues with replay. If any problems are found, let us know.
- Documentation for TPO and Volume Profile Charts has been added, refer to the TPO and Volume Profile Chart Documentation for more information about this study.
- When adding a Spreadsheet Study to a TPO and Volume Profile Chart, the TPO and Volume Profile Details are now listed in the X and Y Columns starting at row 10.
- Corrected a bug in TPO and Volume Profile Charts that sometimes caused values right of the decimal to be slightly inaccurate.
- Interactive Scaling other than for the constant range scale type now requires software service level 4.
- Corrected a bug concerning the POC (Point of Control) for TPO and Volume Profile Charts. The POC is calculated based on the following rules: 1) POC is the maximum number of TPO's/Volume. 2)If more than 1 exists, POC is the price that is closest to the mid point of the range [ (HighestPrice+LowestPrice)/2 ]. 3) If there are 2 prices equal distance to the mid point, the side that has more TPO's/Volume is the POC. 4) If both sides have equal TPO's/Volume, the lower price is the POC.
- Corrected a problem with "Import and Load Intraday Data" with the interpretation of time when the hour for a time was 0.
- Corrected some problems with the TransAct service integration.
- The Spreadsheet System/Alert study supports Bracket Trader integration. For more information see the Systems and Alerts Documentation.
- TPO and Volume Profile charts now require software service level 5 or 6.
- Made some changes to downloading historical daily data from IB.
- This version is a pre-release. However, it is known to be stable with DTN IQ Feed, myTrack, and IB. Some issues are being worked out with TransAct still.
- Various improvements related to data feeds. This version is still considered a pre-release.
- Time and Sales data is now maintained and accessible between data feed connections.
- Internal improvements to the Ask Volume vs. Bid Volume study.
- Daily historical data can now be downloaded from IB. To do this, select File >> Open Historical Chart on the menu. This is still a new feature. Please advise support if you encounter any problems.
- A new interactive scaling feature has been added to allow you to move the chart up and down. To use this new feature, right click in the price scale area and select the Interactive Scale Move option. Then just click and drag in the price scale area to move the chart up and down.
- Corrected issue with IB timestamps not using the local time.
- Resolved some issues related to the data feed services.
- Added a Difference line to the Ask Volume vs Bid Volume study. This study also now supports Time Offset settings in the Data/Trade Service Settings window.
- Added support for the DTN IQ Feed data service. For more information see the DTN IQ Feed page.
- There have been major internal changes with this version to support additional data/trade services. It is considered a pre-release. It should only be used by experienced users or those who wish to use DTN IQ Feed. It is recommended that you install this version in a folder different than where your current Sierra Chart is installed. If any problems are encountered, please advise support about them.
- Added options in the Chart Settings window to hide the Time and Values scale areas.
- Corrected some bugs concerning the "TPO and Volume Profile" study. Additionally, the study now has the capability to extend VA lines. It is strongly recommended that the TPO and Volume Profile study is not in any default chartbooks on the first run of Version 87, please be sure to remove the study before you upgrade Sierra Chart.
- The "TPO and Volume Profile" study has been significantly improved. As a result, to use this study you must remove and re-add the study. It is strongly recommended that the TPO and Volume Profile study is not in any default chartbooks on the first run of Version 86, please be sure to remove the study before you upgrade Sierra Chart.
- Made a change to the Time and Sales data structure used by custom studies. The date of the record is now stored. This change requires custom DLL studies that use Time and Sales to be recompiled to work with this version. If you are using Time and Sales related studies, please wait until the developer of those studies updates them to support this version before installing this version.
- Corrected a problem with Point and Figure charts that would cause an abnormal shutdown
- Added Ask Volume vs Bid Volume Study. (Special Feature)
- Added a new chart type: "TPO and Volume Profile" (Also known as Market Profile). This can be found under Analysis >> Studies on the menu. Currently this is made available at no extra charge to all users. At some point in the future there will be an additional charge for it. The Price Range Increment input changes the price range increment for the profile. The default is currently 1, you may have to adjust this based on the chart you are viewing.
- Corrected a problem logging into the software in some special cases.
- Corrected a problem where a study would not be moved to region 1 when the "Display as Main Price Graph" option was enabled or when setting a Spreadsheet study as a system or alert. Additionally, the Spreadsheet study has a new input to allow a system or alert to be displayed in any region.
- Corrected a problem where out of range inputs were not automatically corrected after closing the study settings window.
- Restored the MyTrack Dial Data Database support.
- Corrected a problem where IB daily volume messages were not being processed correctly. This prevented the display of the cumulative daily volume in the current quote window. This fix also provides slightly better tick and volume counting through a special algorithm by treating volume messages as trades in special cases. Please provide feedback so we can better improve the algorithm.
- Added 2 new commands to the Spreadsheet menu. When you select any cell along a quote line on a Spreadsheet, Open Historical Chart and Open Intraday Chart will open the symbol for the quote line as a Historical or an Intraday Chart respectfully. If the Chart is already open, the Chart will be activated instead.
- Added support for customization of the Toolbar. To customize the Toolbar, select Global Settings >> Customize Toolbar on the menu.
- Added support for customization of the Chart Header. To customize the Chart Header, select Global Settings >> Customize Chart Header on the menu.
- Corrected a problem with version 77 and 78 where the high/low of an intraday data record were not correctly set during real-time updating.
- Fill space is now saved with the chart.
- This version supports the new software service levels.
- Corrected a problem with the storage and display of bond futures prices when using the TransAct service. If you have been charting bond futures, it is necessary to delete the bond futures chart data files before opening them. For instructions, see Deleting a Chart Data File.
- Added new members to the custom DLL study structure that provide the bar index and y position of the active tool.
- Corrected a problem where the scale may have gone to 0 when a study did not cover all of the displayed bars due to not enough data the study required.
- The Preserve Fill Space option on charts has been changed to Lock Fill Space. When this option is enabled, the fill space on that chart will not change due to any new data or scrolling. When this option is not enabled, you can modify the amount of fill space and the fill space will be filled in as new data arrives. You can temporarily toggle this option by holding down the Ctrl key. So if the Lock Fill Space option is on, you can hold down the Ctrl key to modify the fill space, and if the Lock Fill Space option is off, you can hold down the Ctrl key to temporarily lock the fill space. You can easily turn this option on or off by using the Chart >> Lock Fill Space menu item. This option can also be found in the same place that the Preserve Fill Space option was in the Chart Settings window.
- Corrected a problem with the Global Crosshair where the cross-hair on charts other than the active one may not have been precisely on the corresponding bar.
- Corrected a problem where studies such as ADX, MACD, and Bollinger bands, may not have been displayed when using old chartbooks or study collections.
- Holding down the Ctrl key now preserves the fill space when scrolling a chart.
- Changed default vertical line spacing for intraday charts to 1 day.
- Fixed the issue with not being able to set the vertical line spacing settings as default.
- Added DynamicNameExample to the end of studies.cpp as a demonstration for dynamically setting the name of a subgraph in a custom DLL study.
- Redesigned the Data/Trade Service Settings window.
- Corrected a problem with TransAct that may have prevented some symbols from being available.
- Double-clicking in the price scale area on a constant range chart re-centers the chart.
- Added a new Add Study window that supports browsing the available study functions in new or updated custom study DLLs. This can be found by pressing the "Add Custom Study..." button in the Technical Studies window.
- Custom study DLLs can be built to support the new Add Custom Study window that shows available functions in a DLL. For more information about how this is currently supported see the Advanced Custom Study Interface and Language documentation.
*Last modified Monday, 07th March, 2022.