Resetting Sierra Chart to a Default State / Restoring Backup Global Configuration File
Resetting Sierra Chart to a Default State
There is no need to uninstall and reinstall Sierra Chart to reset to a default state. To reset Sierra Chart to a default state for whatever reason, perform the steps below.
Resetting Sierra Chart to a default state does not cause any of the Chartbooks, chart data files (DLY and SCID file extensions), or Spreadsheets to be lost. Those will remain.
- Exit Sierra Chart if it is running.
- Go to the Sierra Chart installation folder on your computer. The default is C:\SierraChart\. The installation folder can be determined through Window >> Message Log. Look at the Program path: line at the top of the Message Log.
- Rename some or all of the following files and folders by adding .backup to them. Only rename the files that you wish to have reset back to default.
- Sierra3.cfg (Contains all of the global settings in Sierra Chart. This includes settings set through all of the configuration windows under the Global Settings menu. Chart specific settings, like the settings in Chart >> Chart Settings, are held in Chartbooks and not this file. Sierra3.cfg does not include Account related settings or Global Symbol Settings and can be safely shared with others.)
- Accounts.config (This contains the Data and Trading service related settings including all Usernames and Passwords. Your Sierra Chart Account Name and Password is stored in this file. This file is encrypted.)
- KeyboardShortcuts.config (This contains the Keyboard shortcuts configuration.)
- TradeActivityLog.Data (The data displayed in Trade >> Trade Activity Log)
- TradePositionData.xml (Trade Positions data)
- ListedTradeOrders.xml (Open Orders data)
- SymbolSettings (folder containing Global Settings >> Symbol Settings data)
- SCStudiesDefSettings.ini (Defaults Study Settings. This file only exists if you have saved your own customized study defaults.)
- This is not a recommended step but if you want to remove all of your chart data files, Study Collections, and Chartbooks, go to the Sierra Chart Data Files Folder which is usually C:\SierraChart\Data. Rename this folder to Data_Backup.
- Restart Sierra Chart.
Restoring Backup Global Configuration File
This procedure explains how to restore a backup of the global configuration file. This is something that generally does not need to be done unless the global configuration file were to be accidentally deleted or damaged in some way.
- Exit Sierra Chart by selecting File >> Exit.
- Go to the folder Sierra Chart is installed to on your system. Usually this is C:\SierraChart. The installation folder can be determined through Window >> Message Log. Look at the Program path: line at the top of the Message Log.
- Go to the Backups subfolder within the Sierra Chart installation folder.
- Within the Backups folder you will see up to 30 #.Sierra3.cfg files. The beginning name of the file is the day of the month the backup was made on.
- Copy one of those files.
- Navigate up one folder level to the main Sierra Chart folder.
- Paste the #.Sierra3.cfg file you copied into the folder.
- Delete the Sierra3.cfg file.
- Rename the #.Sierra3.cfg file by removing the number and period in front of the Sierra3.cfg filename.
- Start/Run Sierra Chart again to use the new restored global configuration file.
*Last modified Thursday, 27th June, 2019.