Login Page - Create Account

Support Board


Date/Time: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 10:38:40 +0000



Post From: Future planned OS platforms for SC

[2016-04-05 15:26:10]
User35525 - Posts: 96
Good chart ganz:
https://www.netmarketshare.com/os-market-share.aspx?qprid=9

Windows's total market share has apparently dropped 73% to 63% in just 12 months -- about 14% -- indicative of a decrease in desktop market across the board in favor of mobile platforms. Maybe a time will come when SC would need to work on a mobile device.

The desktop trend for the same period (May 2015 to March 2016) shows that Windows generally has 90% of the desktop OS market share, with OS X and Linux sharing the remaining 10%:
https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=9&qpcustomb=0&qpct=4

It's been said that 90% of traders are losing money. Could it be that 90% of users have an unproductive OS? We chose SC because it's the best desktop trader software available; it's engineered the best and "just works", consuming few computing resources.

It's no shocker that our astute trading community would similarly be choosy about our OS. Support said they'd take a poll here, which will show more than the general market share trends. I wonder what SC's market share is among traders, but frankly it doesn't even matter to me, because I know it's better than other platforms, and profitable traders (both professional and retail) esteem it highly. And a democratic poll isn't the best way in my opinion, because even SC agrees that Windows is pretty poorly engineered; if they want to continue to improve, they should offer higher-quality software (which means making it available to Linux and OS X).

SC has a niche in "quality", which is diametrically opposed to "Windows". Frankly it's amazing that SC can be such a quality product, considering the sub-par OS and broker data feeds pushed to the masses. That's a testament to quality engineering.

I'm frankly surprised that Linux has nearly 20% of the "alternative" market share! To be more specific, as of March 2016, Linux and OS X enjoy 9.55% of total market share; of that entire "alternative" portion (the 10% who aren't the clueless masses), Linux enjoys 18.64% of market share!! So, roughly 4x as many people choose OS X as Linux. Wow, kudos Linux! With all of Apple's marketing, you have 8/10 smart people choosing Apple, and the rest chose Linux! And what's even more cool, is that represents a 5.9% increase from May 2015. Maybe "smart" isn't the best word. As Windows has the broadest market share, there are bound to be many smart, profitable traders using it. Their life would be infinitely better if they ditched Windows, but hey, different strokes for different folks.

Smart people do the right thing "eventually", and that's why SC ditched M$.net, ditched Java, ditched Windows registry, implemented DTC, put all their software in a single directory, engineered a quality graphics API, made things simple enough to work in Wine, listen to their customers, are considering OS X and Linux, and have considered QT and WX. I hope SC support "re-considers" wxWidgets. It's a good option for the future.
Date Time Of Last Edit: 2016-04-05 15:39:10