What Is New
Log of Changes and Improvements to Sierra Chart
This list contains major items of development, items which are notable, and changes and additions which users need to be informed about.
This is not a comprehensive changes and additions log. It only represents less than 25% of the actual development performed every day. There are not version notes for each version. The main Sierra Chart documentation is updated as needed relating to the changes and additions.
In addition to the below listed items for each version, there are also various low-level improvements, issues resolved, and small additions that a release has which are not listed.
472 Release Date: 2009-07-31
- Numerous low-level improvements to the trading functionality and interface to make the trading code easier to maintain, make it easier to add new trading functionality, correct some less commonly encountered issues, and make the trading features more resistant to problems with the live trading service you may be using.
- This version has undergone extensive internal changes to the trading functionality. Therefore the trading functionality should only be used in Trade Simulation Mode or with a simulation account from your trading service, until such time that you are certain the trading functionality works properly for you. If you have any problems contact Sierra Chart Support.
- Various improvements with the display of filled orders on the chart.
- The ACSIL order entry functions upon return now provide the ID of the new order that can used for subsequent cancellations and modifications. This is set in the InternalOrderID member of the s_scTradingOrderInput structure.
- The Trade Activity Log now uses multicolumn list controls on each of the tabs for better and more organized viewing of the data.
- When a reconnection to the data feed and trade server occurs, the working orders are completely preserved. This applies to all trading services.
- With the OEC trading service, when a parent order fills or is modified, the Attached Orders adjust to maintain the specified offsets.
- Corrected a problem where Filled Orders for all symbols would show on a chart when Trade >> Show Filled Orders is enabled.
- Corrected a problem where when running a high-speed backtest even when using High Accuracy, and you have tick data, there would be some inconsistencies compared to a slower speed backtest across the same time period in the chart.
- Added the Round Study Subgraph to Tick Size study. This study will round the selected study Subgraph data to the nearest tick size value based upon the Tick Size setting in Chart >> Chart Settings.
- Added the option Auto-Snap Extending Trendline to High/Low to Global Settings >> Tool Settings >> TrendLines.
- Updated the Average of 2 Subgraphs study so that it is now able to use subgraphs from two different studies.
- When moving trade order lines on the charts, they will now get adjusted to the Tick Size, when the Adjust Tool Values to Tick Size option is enabled in Chart >> Chart Settings.
- Added the ability to specify multiple chartbook and Spreadsheet files to open on startup in Global Settings >> General Settings.
- Various other low-level improvements.
471 Release Date: 2009-07-27
- It is now possible when using Interactive Brokers TWS, to access all orders entered from TWS and other applications in Sierra Chart. To do this, select Global Settings >> Data/Trade Service Settings. Set the Instance # to Client ID: 0. You will need to reconnect to the data feed if you are already connected. You will be able to view, modify and cancel orders that Sierra Chart has access to.
470 Release Date: 2009-07-17
- In File >> Data/Trade Service Settings it is now possible to select an Instance # with a client ID of 0 when connecting to IB TWS. This allows Sierra Chart to have access to all orders including those orders directly entered from TWS. Additional changes will be made to support this.
- Various low-level improvements.
469 Release Date: 2009-07-14
- Corrected a problem with clearing of data when using Trade >> Clear Trade Simulation Orders and Data.
- Corrected a problem where an error message would show in certain cases when changing the order quantity from the chart. This error no longer occurs.
- The Sierra Chart Error Filter now is able to filter data errors with IB -TD (True Data) symbols. The error filter can be configured under Global Settings >> Error Filter Settings.
- Various low-level improvements.
464 Release Date: 2009-06-30
- Corrected some display issues with the Volume by Price study.
- When you change the chart trade quantity in the chart trade mode box, it will also update the Trade Window immediately. When you change the Trade Window order quantity, it will also update the chart trade mode quantity.
- Corrected a problem with the Zig Zag study that caused high CPU usage when using text labels.
- Added an option to the Bill Williams Fractal Signals study to either show text labels or arrows. The new input for this is named Show Text Labels.
- Various low-level improvements.
460 Release Date: 2009-06-24
- Corrected a problem where the Trade Window would show the Internal Position for the Service position display when service position data was not available. It should have shown no position. This has been now corrected.
- There is now a setting under Global Settings >> Trade Settings to set how many days of Trade Activity Log data that you want to store. This information is saved when you exit Sierra Chart. It is saved in an XML file. This now enables you to view filled orders from prior sessions on the chart even after you restart Sierra Chart.
- There is now a setting under Global Settings >> Trade Settings to save the Internal Positions data between Sierra Chart sessions. When this option is enabled, then Internal Positions data is saved between Sierra Chart sessions and will be restored when you start Sierra Chart.
- The Volume By Price study now has reduced CPU usage.
- Other low-level improvements.
457 Release Date: 2009-06-22
- Corrected an issue with the entry of Stop Limit orders from the chart. This issue arose in version 423 with the new feature to display filled orders on the chart.
- Added a feature to maintain a constant relationship between the Time and Values scales. This feature is called X & Y Constant Relationship, and it can be set by either going to Chart >> Chart Settings >> Scale, or by right-clicking in the Values Scale area. When this feature is enabled, changing the bar spacing will also change the Values Scale, and changing the Values Scale will also change the bar spacing. Enabling the X & Y Constant Relationship will also set the Scale Range Type to Constant Range, as that is the only scale type that supports this feature. This feature requires a software service package that includes the Advanced Features.
- Added the ability to display % labels on the Fibonacci time zone lines. To enable this, select Global Settings >> Tool Settings >> Fib Time Zones >> Display % labels on the lines.
- The DOM Depth values on the Values scale on the right of the chart and the DOM Graph on the chart now display correctly when the chart is using a Price Multiplier other than 1.
- Added support for the CTS T4 trading platform. At this time, real-time data is fully supported, however trading is not yet complete. For more information on this, see this topic on the support board: Support for CTS T4 Trading Platform.
- Added the ability to display a values scale on the left-hand side of the chart, in addition to the values scale on the right-hand side of the chart. This can be enabled in Chart >> Chart Settings >> Use Left Hand Scale. If there is a study in a chart region that uses a different scale type from the primary scale type of that region, then the left-hand scale will display the secondary scale values. This feature requires a service package level that includes Special Features.
- Added a toolbar button for the new Hand tool. You can add this button to your toolbar by going to Global Settings >> Customize Toolbar.
455 Release Date: 2009-06-17
- Updated the Spreadsheet component to a new version. This version supports the Microsoft Excel Analysis Tool Pack functions (93 new functions), CSV and text files, and auto-filling by dragging the lower-right corner of the Spreadsheet highlight box. Refer to our Spreadsheet Functions documentation page for the new functions.
454 Release Date: 2009-06-16
- Corrected a problem with the option "jump to end of all charts when Global Cursor is on and tool is deactivated" for the Chart Values tool where it would not function properly.
- Improved the Pivot Points-Daily study to always provide consistent values in all cases when there may be incomplete data in the chart.
- Added an extra subgraph to the Squeeze Indicator 2 study called Signal Values. This subgraph is not drawn, but it's values are set to 1 when the Squeeze Dots are colored outside, and 0 when they are inside. This is to make it easier to base alert conditions off of this study.
- Added the ability to draw text labels for the line transition points of the Zig Zag study. Use the inputs: Display Reversal Price and Length of Zig Zag Line, Display HH,HL,LL,LH Labels. The Text Labels subgraph is used to control the color and the font height for the labels.
- Added sc.SwingHigh and sc.SwingLow functions to the ACSIL.
- Added color coding of the position line. This can be configured in Global Settings >> Trade Settings >> Chart Trade Settings >> Line Configuration.
- Added a new calculation mode to the ZigZag study. To use this, set the new Use ZigZag Calculation Mode Based on Number of Bars input to Yes, and also set the next two inputs after that.
- Added alert options to the main price graph in Chart >> Chart Settings.
- Various low-level improvements.
450 Release Date: 2009-06-11
- Added Reset at Session Start Time option to the Cumulative Sum Of Study study.
- Added the scale command Auto Scale the ChartDOM. What this does is changes the value scale to a constant range that will show every price level in the values scale area without any overlap. To perform this action, right click in the values scale area, and select Auto Scale the ChartDOM. This option is only enabled when Trade >> Show Chart DOM is enabled, and the Tick Size in Chart >> Chart Settings must be set properly.
- When printing a candlestick graph, candles with white as the fill color are left as white, instead of being shaded.
- Updated the Bid Volume vs. Ask Volume study to use the last non-zero value when calculating the difference.
- The Chart DOM Depth Lines are now shaded lighter for each DOM level away form the best price.
- Added the Hand tool. This tool is designed to easily scroll the chart back and forth short distances. The Hand tool is available on the menu under Tools >> Hand. To use this tool, click once on the chart and move your mouse to the left and to the right, and the chart will follow. Click again to de-activate the Hand tool.
- Added an option to show or hide the volume numbers on the DOM Graph. Settings for the DOM Graph can be found in Chart >> Chart Settings.
- Added the option Open the Trade Service Log when a new message is added to Trade >> Global Trade Settings.
- Added a toolbar button for Undo Erase ChartDrawing. You can set this to be shown in your toolbar by going to Global Settings >> Customize Toolbar.
- The option to start market depth updates in Chart >> Chart Settings was not being loaded properly. This has been fixed.
- Added support for displaying the Bid Volume and the Ask Volume in the chart header. You can add these values to the chart header by going to Global Settings >> Customize Chart Header.
- Added an option to the Chart Values tool to show the Tool Values Window when the Chart Values tool is active on the chart. You can find this setting in Tools >> Tool Settings >> Chart Values >> Show/Hide Tool Values Window When Tool Activated/Deactivated.
- Added Point On Low and Point On High draw styles. These draw styles will draw a point at the high or the low of the bar on the base graph when the value of the subgraph that's using the draw style is non-zero.
- Added support for coloring base graph draw types: Box, Point & Figure, Point & Figure XO, and Kagi.
- Added the option Use GMT Time to the Write Bar Data To File study.
- Added the ability to change the colors in the Squeeze Indicator 2 study. The colors can be set through the subgraphs Momentum HISTOGRAM Up Colors and Momentum HISTOGRAM Down Colors.
- Added the sc.ChartBarSpacing member to the ACSIL, which is set to the bar spacing as seen on the chart. This is one less than the number of pixels from one bar to the next. This is a read-only variable.
- Modified the Point & Figure study. Added the input Adjust High/Low of Last Bar to Match Last Price.
449 Release Date: 2009-06-09
- With the Attached Orders feature, as has always been the case when the parent order fills, the children are adjusted to maintain the original specified offsets, in case the fill is at a different price than the original order price. This now applies to market orders as well in Trade Simulation mode. There never was a problem with this when using a trading service.
- Solved a problem where there may have been inconsistent results during a fast backtest when using High or Medium accuracy, and where the Signal Only On Bar Close option with the Spreadsheet Study and Simple Alerts was not functioning right during a backtest using High or Medium accuracy. This problem arose in version 439 when backtesting was made faster.
- Added a new subgraph draw style for studies named Text. This style will let you draw the specified text at the values of the subgraph at the corresponding bars.
- Added a study named High/Low for Time Period. This study will draw lines throughout each day on an intraday chart that are based upon the Highest High and Lowest Low for the specified Start Time and End Time inputs.
- Corrected another issue with the Volume By Price study arising in SC version 443.
- Made some changes to IB market depth processing to solve some problems with the display of the data.
444 Release Date: 2009-06-01
- Corrected some issues with the Volume By Price study arising in SC version 443.
443 Release Date: 2009-06-01
- Various improvements have been made to the Volume by Price study. In the Volume by Price Settings Window, several new options can be found. Additionally, the price bars that are drawn with this study should have used the global color and width settings for the type of bars in the chart. This is now the case. This issue arose in a recent release.
- When you attempt to log into Transact, the necessary registry setting will be made to allow the Launch Sierra Chart button on the Transact AT software to work properly, in case it does not.
- Corrected a problem where with newer IB TWS versions, the Tick Size and the Price Display Format were not always being set correctly for NYMEX futures and some other futures. This information may be used for trade order handling and therefore it's important that you upgrade if using the trading features in Sierra Chart with IB and you're trading NYMEX futures.
- Corrected a problem with automated trading when using IB where all working orders were considered child orders due to a "0" sent by IB for the parent ID instead of a blank. This affected the working orders quantity and Internal Position With Working Orders quantity which are used in the auto trade logic. If you are using automated trading with IB, it is important you upgrade for proper auto trade management.
441 Release Date: 2009-05-29
- Various trading interface related improvements including low-level improvements. One such improvement is the position data on the Trade Window is now color coded.
439 Release Date: 2009-05-26
- Improved the interface for Attached Orders. The Optional Name setting has been removed. The list of attached orders is now more detailed. It provides an instant view of settings for all attached orders. We are also working on the ability to save an attached order configuration for easy selection.
- Added new buttons to the Trade Window. These include: Buy Bid, Buy Ask, Buy Market, Sell Bid, Sell Ask and Sell Market.
- Corrected a minor issue with the Pivot Points-Variable Period study where one additional bar ahead of the prior period of data used for the pivot point lines calculations for the current period of time, was included in some cases. In most cases this was not happening. It was known to happen with Weekly pivot point lines. There were no problems seen with Daily pivot point lines. Keep in mind that when using Tick, Volume, Range, Reversal, or RenkoCharts and the pivot point lines are derived off the data in the intraday chart, then there potentially could be issues with the accuracy of the pivot point lines simply due to the inherent problem where the bars do not start at even times. The Pivot Points-Daily study will be reviewed as well.
- Added to the right-click menu for the scale area on the right side of the chart, the command Auto Scale the ChartDOM, which will rapidly adjust the scale so that each price increment is visible on the ChartDOM and centers the current price. This allows the ChartDOM to be a more flexible trading tool.
- Improved the display of the on chart DOM Graph feature. It now displays the volume numbers for each level.
- Improved trading system back-testing to make it faster. You can now run a chart Replay up to 100,000 times for fast back-testing. Replaying a chart that contains a system study is how back-testing is performed. When using Backtest Accuracy: Medium or High, multiple charts that are being replayed now will stay synchronized. Although there will not be close synchronization if using a very fast replay. To maintain multi-chart synchronization, a replay will have to be at a slow to moderate speed. It cannot be excessively high.
438 Release Date: 2009-05-21
- Corrected some minor issues with the Automatic Trend Lines study. This study is now considered finalized.
- Internal code revisions have been made to the ACSIL trading functions. Be sure to test your ACSIL automated trading system in Trade Simulation Mode before using it live with this version. The functionality is the same.
437 Release Date: 2009-05-20
- For the IB trading service, when reconnecting to the data feed or when connecting to the data feed after restarting Sierra Chart, all trade orders from IB will be downloaded and in the case of futures, the symbols will be properly processed and the orders will appear on the chart. Although for this to work properly you must use futures format #1. An example of this is ES-200906-GLOBEX.
- The Refresh Order List button on the Trade >> Trade Orders Window now works with IB as well.
436 Release Date: 2009-05-19
- For ACSIL trading, the sc.AllowMultipleOrdersInSameDirection would always limit the maximum position to 1 even if it was set to a number larger than 1. We have corrected this by adding the sc.MaximumPositionAllowedInSameDirection member. See Advanced Custom Study Interface Variable Members relevant to Trading.
- The bar spacing can now be changed by clicking and dragging on the Time Scale on the bottom of the chart.
435 Release Date: 2009-05-18
- If the Global Settings >> Trade Settings >> Use Internal Position for Charts, Flatten and Reverse option is enabled, then the Flatten and Reverse commands rely on the Internal Position data. This solves the problem where the position from IB simply cannot be determined for some symbols. In this case, Flatten and Reverse were always disabled preventing their use. These commands will now be enabled when a Internal Position exists. However, keep in mind that the Internal Position may not necessarily reflect the actual position with your trading service because it could be out of sync with it. It only knows about trades since you started Sierra Chart.
434 Release Date: 2009-05-15
- Updated the TPO Value Area Lines study to use a standard time input control for the Start Of Day input instead of entering the number of seconds since the start of the day.
- Enhanced the Color Bar Based On Alert Condition study with an input to use the alert condition that already exists on another study.
- Added the sc.GetStudyNameFromChart function to the ACSIL.
- With the Automatic Trendlines study, added an input named Number Of New Bars Before Auto-Adjustment. This specifies the number of new bars that must appear on the chart before the trendlines re-adjust automatically. This prevents often adjusting of the lines.
433 Release Date: 2009-05-14
- Corrected a problem where an error message would be shown upon startup indicating that the configuration file is not found. This message will no longer be shown. It would show on a fresh installation of Sierra Chart. This error was simply indicating the configuration file is not present and a default one would be used. However, this error is no longer shown so it does not confuse any users.
- The Spreadsheet studies will now display the Short Name for studies that have a Short Name set. The names will be displayed in the format: "Short Name (Study Name)".
- Removed the auto-coloring option Based on Open/Close and replaced it with Same as Base Graph. This will use the same logic as the base graph for determining which color to use for the subgraph. This makes it easy to have the colors of the bars of a subgraph match the colors of the bars of the base graph.
- Minor corrections related to custom charts made with the ACSIL. These corrections only apply to errors that may have been received with custom charts. If you never received errors with custom charts, then there was never a problem that these corrections, corrected.
- Removed outlines from the Bid Ask Volume Bars graph draw type.
- Changed the Volume study to use the new auto-coloring option Same as Base Graph. The input that had been used previously was removed.
431 Release Date: 2009-05-11
- Corrected a problem with the Donchian Channel arising in a recent pre-release.
- Corrected a problem where the OrderStatusCode member of s_scTradingOrderDetails was not being set. This applies to the ACSIL Trading functions.
430 Release Date: 2009-05-08
- The ACSIL Trading function SCTrading_GetLivePosition has been renamed to SCTrading_GetServicePosition to more accurately reflect what it does. SCTrading_GetSessionPosition and SCTrading_GetServicePosition no longer give an error when position data cannot be found. Instead the Position structure object members are simply empty or zero. However, the Symbol member will still be set.
- The ACSIL Trading functions SCTrading_GetOrderByIndex and SCTrading_GetOrderByOrderID get all the orders now. There is a new member of s_scTradingOrderDetails named OrderStatusCode that indicates the order status. Refer to the updated ACSIL Trading documentation. SCTrading_GetFilledOrderByIndex is now an unsupported function.
- If you have developed a system study using the ACSIL Trading functions, then you will need to rebuild it under this version or higher and make any appropriate code changes due to the changes that have been made.
- Added a Moving Average Type input to the Demand Index study.
- Made an adjustment to the way range bars are expanded when there would be a gap between the bars. Instead of being expanded based on the direction of the bar, range bars are now expanded in the direction of the next trade. This is to prevent the appearance of a high or low value that was never actually reached. Also the close of a range bar that needed to be expanded remains at the last traded price of that bar instead of being pushed to the high or the low of the bar.
- Fixed a problem with range bar charts not working when the Price Multiplier was set to something other than 1.
- Added support for BARDATE, BARTIME, and BARDATETIME for Simple Alert condition formulas for studies.
- Added the ability to set detached charts to always be on top of other windows. To do this, open a chart, detach it from the main window by selecting Chart >> Detach/Re-Attach Chart Window on the menu, and then select Window >> Always On Top on the detached chart's menu.
- Intraday charts now load data based on the session times set in Chart Settings rather than always cutting the days at midnight. So now if you set the Days to Load to 1 and the Last Date to Load in Chart Settings to a specific date, the chart will show the full trading day for that date according to the session Start and End Times.
- The PaintBar study has been renamed to Color Bar Based On Alert Condition.
- The font size for the volume counts in the Volume by Price study can now be set manually through the Volume Count Text subgraph line width. To do this, set the Draw Style for the Volume Count Text subgraph to Visible, and set the Width/Size to a number greater than 5. A Width/Size of 0 will adjust the size of the font automatically.
428 Release Date: 2009-05-06
- The ACSIL sc.SCTrading_BuyExit and sc.SCTrading_SellExit functions would not necessarily flatten the position if an order quantity was not specified. The default quantity was 1 previously. Therefore at most they would give an order of quantity 1. By default the order quantity is now zero which means they will flatten the position. If the order quantity is specified, and it does not exceed the quantity necessary to flatten the position, that quantity will be used. Otherwise the position will be flattened.
- The ACSIL Trading functions, data structures and documentation have undergone numerous revisions. Refer to the current documentation. It is necessary for you to rebuild your custom studies that use the ACSIL trading functions. You may encounter compiler errors. When you do, refer to the updated documentation for the function, structure member or constant you are using to find out what changes you need to make.
427 Release Date: 2009-05-04
- There have been changes to the types used in the ACSIL trading structures. When using this version or higher it is necessary to rebuild your study functions that use the ACSIL Trading functionality, that were built with prior versions in order to work properly on this version and up. Due to type changes, you may also need to make code modifications. Several SCStrings have been converted to either doubles or ints. The Trading From an Advanced Custom Study documentation has been updated on May 5, 2008.
- Corrected a minor problem with the Pivot Points-Variable Period study when using evening session time settings.
- Various other low-level improvements.
425 Release Date: 2009-04-30
- Corrected some issues with the Automatic Trendlines study.
- Added the Average Fill Price (AvgFillPrice) to the ACSIL trading s_scTradingOrderDetails structure.
- The ACSIL Trading functions and structures have been internally improved. When using this version or higher it is necessary to rebuild your study functions that were built with prior versions in order to work properly on this version and up.
- Various low-level improvements.
423 Release Date: 2009-04-24
- Filled Orders can now be displayed on the chart in Chart Trade Mode. The settings for this feature can be found in Trade >> Global Trade Settings in the Chart Trading Section.
- The Text Size for the Volume By Price study has been fixed so that it resizes to the bar size as it did in previous versions.
- A problem with trailing stops arising in a recent pre-release, has been corrected.
- Our simple alert feature for studies has been enhanced. It is now possible to use an Excel-style formula for alerts. Alert condition formulas can refer to other studies on the chart by using this syntax: ID#.SG# where # is the study ID number shown on the right side of the study in the list of Studies to Graph and the number of the subgraph. To use an enhanced alert condition, precede the formula with an equals (=) sign. Documentation is being worked on. An example would be =CROSSOVER(ID1.SG1, ID2.SG1). This would give an alert when the first subgraph of study with ID 1 crosses the first subgraph of study with ID 2.
- Added a Copy Symbols button to the Alerts Log. When this button is pressed, it will create a list of symbols which have alert lines in the Alerts Log that can be pasted anywhere.
- Added a new study subgraph Draw Style pair named: Transparent Fill Top and Transparent Fill Bottom.
- Added a Copy Command to the Trade Orders Window and to the Positions Window.
- When downloading Historical Data from the Barchart Real-Time and Historical Data Service, the chart is updated as the data is being downloaded.
- Added a new option to the Study Settings Window to save the current settings as the default for newly added instances of the study. This option is named Save these settings as the default. There is also a Reset Defaults button that will clear these saved default settings.
- A Length input has been added to the Swing High and Low study.
- Added a new input to the Envelope Study to support a fixed value.
- A new function has been added to the ACSIL Trading Interface, sc.SCTrading_GetFilledOrderByIndex(), that is used to get order details of orders that have already been filled.
- When the connection is lost to the TransAct trade engine, Sierra Chart will retry every 20 seconds for 5 times, then every 1 minute for 55 times and stop. In no case will the Message Log open up indicating the retries during this time. Sierra Chart will not attempt to reconnect to the Transact trade engine if it was never able to successfully connect previously. If Sierra Chart has difficulty reconnecting to the Transact trade engine, then be certain your Transact AT software is fully up to date as Transact has resolved some issues with this.
*Last modified Wednesday, 22nd February, 2023.