TransAct Futures Trading Service
- What is Included
- Setup Instructions
- Trading with TransAct from Sierra Chart
- Known Reasons for Missing Order Fills in Trade Activity Log and Solutions
- Common TransAct Trading Service Issues
- Sierra Chart Discount for Transact Users
- Solving Lagging Data Feed, Stopping Data Feed, Missing Data Issues
Sierra Chart supports the TransAct Futures Trading service. This service provides both real-time tick-by-tick futures data and futures trading.
Real-time Futures data and trading is provided for the CME, CBOT, NYMEX, COMEX, ICE, and Eurex. You will have access to long-term and tick by tick Intraday chart data, and futures trading. Long-term Historical Daily chart data is provided by Sierra Chart.
Trading with TransAct is fully supported with the Sierra Chart advanced trading functionality.
If you have any problems with market data, or the external trading functionality, which we do have reports of, these are issues which are out of Sierra Chart's control. In this case we recommend using the Sierra Chart Order Routing Service instead.
What is Included
- Streaming Real-Time Data: Yes. Provided by TransAct.
- Historical Intraday Data: Yes. Tick by Tick and various increments up to 1 Minute. Intraday data available for the last 5 years. Provided by TransAct.
- Historical Daily Data: Provided through the Sierra Chart Historical Daily Data service. 10+ years available.
- Historical BidVolume and AskVolume: Yes.
- Live Trading Services: Yes.
- Simulated Trading: Yes.
- Order Types Supported: All except Market If Touched.
- Server Managed OCO (Order Cancels Order): No.
- Automated Trading (applies to Live or Simulated): Yes.
- Source of Real-time and Historical Data: Provided by TransAct Futures except for Historical Daily bar data for days other than current day. Data is not provided by Sierra Chart.
- Historical Order Fills from Trading Server: Yes. Current day only and clears at the end of the trading day.
- To use the TransAct futures trading service, you need to have an account with them through one of their supported brokerages, like Infinity Futures. If you do not have an account, a free 30 day simulation account is available.
- Go to Sierra Chart. Select Global Settings >> Data/Trade Service Settings on the menu.
- Click on the Service list box at the top of the window. Select the TransAct WS service name from the list.
- Enter your TransAct account Username and Password in the corresponding fields on the Data/Trade Service Settings window. The information you enter here is definitely not your Sierra Chart login information. Those are different.
- Set the Connection Type to either Demo, Simulated Live, Live. What to select depends upon the particular TransAct Username you are using. Contact your broker to find out what you should select.
- In the Trade Account box, enter your TransAct account identifier. This must be set correctly in order to connect to TransAct. Contact your broker if you are not sure what this is.
- Enable the Connect On Program Startup and the Reconnect on Failure options.
- Set the Time Zone setting to the time zone that you want times displayed in.
- Set the Intraday Data Storage Time Unit to what you require.
- Press OK to close the Data/Trade Service Settings window.
- To connect to the data and trade servers, select File >>Connect to Data Feed on the menu.
- If the Window >> Message Log opens indicating an error connecting to the data and trade servers, then refer to Common TransAct Trading Service Issues.
To prevent continuous reconnections to the servers if the connection is failing, select File >> Disconnect.
- If you are still unable to connect to the TransAct data and trade servers, then refer to help topic 1.5.
- Continue with step number 3 on the Getting Started documentation page.
Trading with TransAct from Sierra Chart
The Sierra Chart trading functionality fully supports the TransAct trading service.
In order to perform live trading using Sierra Chart and view your TransAct account orders, select Global Settings >> Data/Trade Service Settings on the menu.
Set the Service Setting >> Connection Type to Live.
Make certain the TransAct Username, Password and Trade Account are set to your Live TransAct account information. If you change any of these settings, reconnect to the server with File >> Disconnect and File >> Connect to Data Feed on the menu.
Once Sierra Chart is connected to TransAct, to place live trades and to see your Orders and Position on a chart, make sure there is not a check-mark by Trade >> Trade Simulation Mode On. And make sure there is a checkmark by Trade >> Chart Trade Mode On.
For complete instructions, refer to the Overview of Trading page.
Notice : When trading from Sierra Chart, and you are running the TransAct AT software at the same time, you must disable the Auto Bracket feature in the TransAct AT software if you are using Attached Orders in Sierra Chart. Otherwise, a new order entered from Sierra Chart will cause an automatic bracket to be submitted from TransAct AT, resulting in two sets of brackets.
Known Reasons for Missing Order Fills in Trade Activity Log and Solutions
The following information is complete information about order fills being missing from the Trade >> Trade Activity Log >> Trade Activity tab. Sierra Chart Support has no additional information we can provide relating to this.
- The first step is to make sure you have set the controls at the top of the Trade Activity Log correctly. Refer to Viewing Historical Trade Activity for instructions.
- The Date-Time on your computer is incorrect. This will cause an order fill to be put in the wrong location in the Trade >> Trade Activity Log even if it initially appears to be in the right location. If the computers Date is too early, it could also be filtered out by Sierra Chart after restarting the program.
The extent of this problem will depend upon how far off the computer's date and time are from the correct time. An inaccurate time by seconds or a few minutes is not going to cause any significant problem. Refer to Incorrect Date and/or Time Display to set your computer's clock accurately.
- The Global Settings >> Data/Trade Service Settings >> Service Setting >> Connection Type is different compared to the Transact trading software you are using. For example it could be set to Simulated Live when in the Transact software you are using Live.
- Having Trade >> Trade Simulation Mode On enabled. This must be disabled/unchecked to receive order fills from the external trading server. Otherwise, they will not. This is going to be the most common reason for missing order fills.
- Not having Sierra Chart connected to the trading server with File >> Connect to Data Feed during the time the order fills are occurring. If Sierra Chart is not receiving the order fills in real-time when they occur, then there is no guarantee they will be received later on when connecting to the trading server at a later point in time.
- The order fills were not sent from the trading server on the trading connection either in real time or upon a connection. This could be due to the Connection Type being different compared to the trading software or for other unknown reasons.
- Not connecting Sierra Chart to the data feed at least once during the trading day before the market closes. The trading server only maintains order fills for the current day and clears them just after the market close.
- To download historical order fills that the trading server currently has and are not in the Trade >> Trade Activity Log, Reconnect to the Data Feed.
Within about 30 seconds after connecting to the trading server, go to Trade >> Trade Service Log. You will see a line that says Received (number of fills) order fills. Inserting the ones that do not exist. If zero order fills have been received, then the trading server did not send any and no longer has any record of them.
If this line indicates order fills have been received, but you do not see them in the Trade >> Trade Activity Log, then contact Sierra Chart Support.
For additional information and instructions to manually insert order fills, refer to Missing Order Fills from Trade Activity Log.
Since the Trade >> Trade Activity Log >> Trade Stats for Charts tab is based on order fills, it has a high probability of being inaccurate when there are missing order fills which is a common issue no matter what Trading service Sierra Chart is being used with. Therefore, neither Transact support or Sierra Chart support will provide any help with inaccurate information on that tab. Consider it unsupported.
The available symbols that can be used with the Transact trading service are found in File >> Find Symbol. The symbols under the Futures subcategory have data provided by Transact.
If a chart is not updating in real-time or there are only zeros displayed on a Quote Board for a symbol, then your transact account is probably not authorized for the symbol. You need to contact your broker to have them authorize your trading account for that symbol.
Once your trading account is authorized for a new symbol, you need to reconnect to the data feed by selecting File >> Disconnect and File >> Connect to Data Feed on the menu.
Common TransAct Trading Service Issues
This section explains possible issues you may encounter when using the TransAct trading service. Sierra Chart Support can only provide limited help with these issues.
You should contact TransAct support or your Transact affiliated broker to resolve these issues if necessary.
Account Logon Error
- If you are receiving the above message either in a pop-up window, or in the Sierra Chart Window >> Message Log, then there is a problem with the connection settings in Sierra Chart for the TransAct Trading service, your TransAct Username or Password are invalid as entered in Sierra Chart, your TransAct Username has expired, or your Transact account is not allowed to use the websocket connection.
- First contact TransAct Support and ask them to allow your Transact account to be able to use the websocket connection with Sierra Chart. This is an essential first step.
- What they will request you do is log onto the online account portal for your Transact account and choose an option to use the standalone Sierra Chart.
- In Sierra Chart, select File >> Disconnect on the menu.
- Select Global Settings >> Data/Trade Service Settings on the menu.
- Enter your correct TransAct account Username and Password in the corresponding fields in this window. This is the same Username and Password that you use when logging into the TransAct AT software. Do not use your Sierra Chart Account Name and Password. They will not work here!.
- Set the Trade Account field.
- If you have a TransAct demo account set the Connection Type to Demo. If you have a TransAct Live account, then set the Connection Type to Live or Simulated Live.
- Contact TransAct Support or your broker for assistance with these connection details if needed.
- Press OK.
- Select File >> Connect To Data Feed on the menu. If you are still having trouble with the connection, contact TransAct Support or your broker.
- If you have followed all of these instructions and this does not resolve the issue, you will need to contact TransAct support or your broker.
Good till Canceled Order Rejected
When the following order rejection message is given the Trade >> Trade Service Log or as the Order Action Source for the order in the Trade >> Trade Activity Log for the order: TransAct order update (Order reject). Info: GTCs Not Authorized for Account, then this means that you cannot use Good till canceled for the Time in Force (TIF) setting.
You must set both the main parent order and Attached Orders to use a Time in Force of Day instead.
To set the Time in Force on the Trade Window for the main parent order, refer to Time in Force.
To set the Time in Force to Day for Attached Orders, refer to Time In Force.
Sierra Chart Discount for Transact Users
Previously Sierra Chart was offering a discount to Transact users when they pay directly to Sierra Chart for using Sierra Chart rather than through Transact.
Due to the legacy method by which Transact provides access control for using Sierra Chart, the technical method of implementation of the discount was getting complicated and confusing. Therefore, it has been withdrawn. Especially being that you potentially could still be billed by Transact.
If you want to pay for Sierra Chart directly, we require that you have your own direct Sierra Chart account. For instructions, refer to the Direct Account instructions. You can take advantage of the multi-month discount that we currently offer all users.
Solving Lagging Data Feed, Stopping Data Feed, Missing Data Issues
When using the Transact trading service, the data feed is fully provided by Transact. This is not a Sierra Chart provided data feed.
As of version 1942 Sierra Chart uses a websocket connection to Transact. It no longer uses this less than reliable bridge program since that version. It uses a direct connection. Technically this is a far more direct and more stable method of connectivity.
However, there have been reports of lagging data, and stopping data, and missing data. These issues are not within the control of Sierra Chart and are external to Sierra Chart. For more information about lagging data, refer to Help Topic 4.
In regards to missing data, the reason this happens is that when the Transact server has buffered one or more megabytes of data to be sent to you, it will then discard that data. This then causes missing data in the charts. We have twice asked Transact under this scenario to disconnect the user rather than discarding the data.
You will notice at the time you are having an issue with the Transact data feed that if you look at a chart for the symbols TICK-NYSE or EURUSD, that those charts will continue to update and be current without any data lag.
If you notice a problem with the Transact data feed lagging you will need to contact Transact and if they are not able to solve the problem, then we recommend you use the Sierra Chart provided Denali Exchange Data Feed for CME/CBOT/NYMEX/COMEX market data.
This data feed is fully integrated when using Transact for trading. This is a fast and reliable data feed for just $25 USD a month.
Due to the legacy method by which Transact provides access control for using Sierra Chart, to use the Denali Exchange Data Feed first requires that you have your own Direct Account.
To get started with this data feed you first need to have your own direct account. Refer to the Direct Account instructions. After that, and follow the Denali Exchange Data Feed Set up Instructions. You will not experience any of the above problems with this data feed. And if you have any minor data lagging issues, the Denali data feed has options to manage this.
*Last modified Wednesday, 04th March, 2020.