What Is New
Log of Changes and Improvements to Sierra Chart
This list contains major items of development, items which are notable, and changes and additions which users need to be informed about.
This is not a comprehensive changes and additions log. It only represents less than 25% of the actual development performed every day. There are not version notes for each version. The main Sierra Chart documentation is updated as needed relating to the changes and additions.
In addition to the below listed items for each version, there are also various low-level improvements, issues resolved, and small additions that a release has which are not listed.
- Vertical Line can now be used with UseTool in custom DLL studies.
- More draw styles have been added for study subgraphs.
- Colors are darkened when printing.
- Improvements to the Trade Positions Window.
- New Trade Settings window has been added.
- Spreadsheet studies can use subgraphs 5 and 6.
- Added a Vertical Line tool.
- The Square of Nine study has an added setting called Auto Adjust which adjusts the levels of the lines to better fit the values in the chart.
- Added a setting for hiding the title bars on charts to conserve screen space. You can find this setting in Global Settings >> General Settings: Show Title Bars on Charts.
- Fixed a bug related to having a displacement on the Standard Deviation Bands study.
- Added support for secondary colors on study graphs for studies that support secondary colors.
- DLL Studies: You can now specify a specific color for any element in the graph using the SubGraphDataColor member of the s_sg struct similar to SubGraphDataOut. The AllocateColorArray function must be called before using SubGraphDataColor.
- DLL Studies: You can make use of secondary colors for graphs by setting SubgraphSecondaryColorUsed at the index of the graph to 1. You can get the secondary color similar to to the primary color by using SubgraphSecondaryColor.
- The file studies.cpp contains two new DLL study examples called SimpMovAvgColored and ColoredPriceGraph that demonstrate usage of the new color related functionality.
- Up to 6 subgraphs can now be used for studies.
- The Study/Price Overlay study with Synchronization enabled has been improved.
- You can now specify in Chart Settings a number of days per bar for an Intraday chart.
- The position in the graph remains the same when changing the bar period or chart symbol, except for when the graph is scrolled all the way to the end.
- The print layout, such as landscape or portrait is now preserved across sessions.
- Extending trendlines can be cut by right clicking on the line at the location that you want to cut it at and using the Cut Extending Trendline Here option on the shortcut menu.
- The Study/Price Overlay study now has a Synchronize option to synchronize a study or price graph from one chart to the corresponding times on the chart the study is applied to.
- The More Windows... menu option has been replaced with a new window for selecting chartbooks and windows. This can be found under the Window menu called Windows and Chartbooks.
- Colors for the lines above and below the main line for tools Linear Regression and Pitchfork are now set to a lighter intensity of the color used for the main line.
- The Constant Range value is now displayed at the top of the price scale region when using the interactive scaling.
- For IB CASH symbols, the average of the bid and ask is charted instead of the individual bid/ask values.
- Corrected a problem where the previous tool was not re-selected when using a tool command such as Adjust Line or Move Line.
- Right clicking on lines or text provides a context menu for actions to perform on that line or text.
- When using a tool command such as Erase Line/Text or Adjust Line, lines and text can now be selected by simply clicking on them with your pointer.
- Made changes with downloading of IB backfill data.
- Improved the Range Bar Charts feature. There are two types supported. If the Range Bar type 2 option in Chart Settings is enabled, then a new bar is created when the range has met your setting whether or not trading continues within the range. Otherwise, a new bar is only formed when trading moves beyond your specified range.
- Added the Dr. Andrew's Pitchfork tool (median line tool). This tool can be found under the Tools menu. To use this tool, simply select 3 points by clicking on the chart. The first point represents the starting point of the extending trend line. This trend line is drawn between the 2nd and 3rd points. Parallel lines are drawn above and below the median line starting at the second and third points.
- Note: To get the desired effect, point 1 should be left of points 2 and 3. Otherwise, Sierra_Chart will correct this error and will not allow you to draw a pitchfork in the negative x direction.
- Updated the Constant Range Scaling feature. If Auto-Centering is off, the chart will only auto-center when you scroll the chart, select Chart >> Reload and Recalculate, or press the END key on your Keyboard.
- Fixed the problem with Interactive scaling.
- Added the Intraday Range Bar Chart type. This setting can be found in Chart Settings. You can also type a value into the chart followed by the letter r and ENTER to quickly switch to an Intraday Range Bar chart.
- We also added an option to cut a tick, volume, or range bar at midnight. This option can be found in Chart Settings.
- Added the function "GetStudyArrayFromChart" for custom DLL studies. For more information see Creating Custom DLL Studies
- Added new menu "Global Settings". All global settings windows are listed here. Existing settings windows can still be accessed from their respective menus.
- In General Settings we have added the option to disable the Save All prompt when exiting from Sierra Chart. We have also added options to open a specified chartbook and Spreadsheet window on startup.
- Tool Settings now exist in the Tool Settings window under Global Settings.
- When Constant Range scaling is enabled for the main price graph, there is a interactive scale feature. You can now click and drag your mouse up and down in the scale region on the right side of the chart to invoke scale changes. See the instructional videos page for an in depth look at this feature.
- A new trading interface has been added.
- Added "Linear Regression End Channel" to the studies list. This study calculates the linear regression on the fly for the most recent bars. It also calculates and displays the standard deviation lines. You can set the number of bars to calculate and the number of deviations.
- Added "Study Overlay" to the studies list. This study allows you to overlay a study from one chart onto another. The charts can have different time periods.
- Corrected a problem with the Future Display feature for Spreadsheets due to changes MyTrack has made to future symbols.
- Added a moving average type input to the Standard Deviation Bands study. This lets you select a moving linear regression line, with standard deviation bands above and below this line. Existing charts and Study Collections that have this study will default to an exponential Moving Average. Change the Moving Average Type input to 2 to use a Simple Moving Average.
- Added a study named "Overlay (Non-Sync)". This study lets you overlay a price graph from a chart with a different period per bar.
- Added a 128 byte permanent storage block for Custom DLL studies. This data block is only saved to disk if the study is saved as part of a study collection or the chart is saved.
- Added Constant Range Scaling. This option is available in the Scale Window for charts and studies. For example, select fChart >> Chart Settings on the menu and press the Scale button.
- To re-center the chart, press the "End" or "Insert" key on your keyboard.
- Added the Linear Regression tool with Raff Channels. You can find this by selecting Tools >> Linear Regression. The Linear Regression works like the standard Trendline tool. Just draw the line and Sierra_Chart will auto-fit the line as a regression line. It will also solve the Raff Channels and apply them to the chart.
- Made revisions to the improved volume reporting for the IB data feed.
- All Bid, Ask, BidSize, and AskSize data received from the data feed is now stored and is available through the Time and Sales feature. Currently the only way this data can be used is through custom DLL studies.
- Custom DLL studies that have already been written and use the Time and Sales array will need to be recompiled to work with this version.
- Added a new option in Chart Settings to Preserve the Fill Space that is created when scrolling past the last bar in the chart. One use of this feature is for custom DLL studies to place text information in this open space on the right of the chart.
- Added an option to General Settings that allows you to Hide all Study Inputs displayed on charts.
- We have separated the Erase All Lines command into two commands:
- Erase All Non-Text Drawings
- Erase All Text
- The Bid Size and Ask Size fields for Quote Lines on a Spreadsheet have been separated. Additionally, a Number of Trades field has been added.
- Corrected a problem with the improved volume reporting for IB.
- Added the Copy and Move Line/Text command to the Tools menu.
- Improved volume reporting for the IB Data feed.
- NOTE: Chartbooks saved with version 70 will not work on older versions.
- Charts can now be linked together within chartbooks. When you change the symbol of a linked chart, all other charts with the same link number will be set to that same symbol. For more information see the Link Number Setting on the Chart Settings documentation page.
- A Only Charts in Chartbook option has been added to the Chart menu. If this option is checked the Previous File, Next File, and Start Scan commands on the Chart menu only switch to symbols within the chartbook. Otherwise, these commands switch to all symbols you have a data file for. You can now switch to the next or previous symbols of a chartbook within a chart itself. For more information see: Moving Through Your Data Files.
- A Go To Chart button has been added to the Message Log window. If an alert has been triggered, you can now highlight the alert and click on the Go To Chart button to open the chart that gave the alert. If the chart has been changed to a different symbol, the chart will load the symbol that triggered the alert.
- The global cursor feature correctly corresponds to the date and time axis on all charts compared to the active chart.
- When the price graph type is set to Candlestick and you are using a study that uses a Price Graph style, then the color of the Candlestick's is set through the color settings for the study.
- A "Prompt to Remove Studies" checkbox has been added to the Studies Window. This applies to Study Collections.
- If you have a lot of trendlines and text on the chart, the cpu usage will be much less. The algorithm has been made 100 times faster.
- When a custom DLL study is removed from the chart, the study function is called one last time and the LastCallToFunction flag variable is set to 1.
- We've added an option to enable the global cursor feature in the Tools menu. If you need to use the Global Cursor feature, enable it in the Tools menu.
- Chart settings such as minutes/seconds per bar can be changed by a custom DLL study. Refer to the sample function ChangeSettingsExample() in the studies.cpp file.
- Additional variables are passed to custom DLL studies. Refer to the SierraChart.h file to see what's new.
- The Y axis values are are synchronized across all graphs when using the global cursor. Also, the chart values displayed in the status bar and chart value's windows are no longer dependent on the active window when using the global cursor.
- There was a bug with the Time and Sales studies that would cause unexpected behavior such as Sierra_Chart shutting down. This has been corrected.
- Additionally, the Time and Sales studies have been enhanced. A Volume filter input has been added to filter out trades below a certain volume level. The Time and Sales price value is color coded. There is a different color depending upon whether a trade occurred at the bid, ask, or other level. If you have developed or are using custom DLL studies that use Time and Sales, they will need to be recompiled because of the improvements. They will recompile without any modifications.
- The Link Number of Charts are now saved within chartbooks.
- A Global Cursor feature has been added. When the chart values tool is used, the cross hair is displayed on all charts at the corresponding location.
- The Set Charts to Same Symbol command has been added back to the chart menu.
*Last modified Wednesday, 22nd February, 2023.