What Is New
Log of Changes and Improvements to Sierra Chart
This list contains major items of development, items which are notable, and changes and additions which users need to be informed about.
This is not a comprehensive changes and additions log. It only represents less than 25% of the actual development performed every day. There are not version notes for each version. The main Sierra Chart documentation is updated as needed relating to the changes and additions.
In addition to the below listed items for each version, there are also various low-level improvements, issues resolved, and small additions that a release has which are not listed.
- Corrected a problem where a runtime error would sometimes occur when logging into the software when using a firewall. Firewalls should no longer cause a problem.
- Corrected a problem where a user-defined scale for the main price graph may cause flickering. Added complete documentation for the Scale window in the Chart Settings topic in the programs on-line help. If you have been using a user-defined scale for the main price graph because studies cause it to become compressed, then it is recommended that you use the new Same As Region scale range for your studies.
- German menus have been added.
- Ability to enable or disable values on the horizontal line and Fibonacci line drawings on the chart.
- Improvements with the special and out of sequence trade filter for myTrack. Special and out of sequence trades are trades that are filtered from intraday charts to prevent spikes in the charts. All filtering is now listed in the programs message log. Contact support if the program appears to be filtering data it should not.
- Corrected a problem where chart regions may not keep their exact size over time.
- The Last Time field on Quote Spreadsheets now includes seconds.
- The program code for intraday chart updating and IB data processing has been reviewed. No problems were found. Some improvements were made. Any problems with IB charts not updating would be because no data is being received from the IB data feed.
- Improvements with the chart calculator tool.
- Chart window can be copied to a graphic file.
- Corrected a problem where trendlines in some cases would not start on the bar you began drawing at.
- The IB "accept incoming connection" and Login boxes are automatically closed (only the standalone version Login box is closed). The program will reconnect to the data feed if it detects a data feed loss from IB. The program will continuously try to reconnect for one full day. If you're able to start the IB standalone TWS software automatically like through the Windows scheduler, then you will now be able to continuously store data. Review the setup instructions for IB on the Data page on this web site for instructions to continuously store data.
- Chart grid lines are fully drawn to the right side.
- The number of Fibonacci levels and Fan tool slopes has been expanded to 11. Fibonacci lines are visible even if the original drawn line is off-screen. Current bid and ask values are passed to DLL functions.
- Study Moving Average study has been added to the program. This moving average study can be applied to any other study.
- When erasing lines or text, the identifying numbers can be clearly seen.
- The least squares moving average can be displaced.
- A References Other Charts option has been added to the Technical Study Settings window. This option can be turned off for the Spreadsheet Study which will prevent automatic recalculation every minute. This will decrease CPU usage. It's only necessary to turn on the References Other Charts option, when a study refers to another chart.
- Can set the minimum number of trades/ticks per bar to base bars on trades instead of minutes. Data is still currently stored in minutes. Therefore this feature does not create perfect tick charts. The ticks per bar is set in the Chart Settings window.
- Spreadsheet windows for the Spreadsheet studies are now opened in the background.
- Corrected a problem where the state of the active chart window was not always saved.
- Corrected a problem where tools would not draw properly during chart updating.
- The moving average type for the Slow stochastic can be set to one of five available types.
- Improvements with the commodity channel index.
- Charts are now printed completely in color. Corrected a problem where some color bars were not printing.
- Improved graphics updating to solve a flickering problem some users had on some systems.
- You can change the symbol in an intraday chart by just typing the partial symbol. If you want to switch to a new symbol type a / before the symbol.
- IB volume data is no longer multiplied by 100. If you need to adjust volume display you can do this in the Chart Settings window. The existing volume data in your data files can be adjusted to match the new volume format by using the Adjust Data function on the Edit menu. Volume data in intraday charts received with version 30 and earlier needs to be multiplied by .01 to match the new volume format.
- Can run multiple instances of Sierra Chart. This allows using both Interactive Brokers and myTrack at the same time. Instructions for this are on the Data and Trading services page page on this web site in the Interactive Brokers section.
- New settings for Up and Down bar colors and Candlestick fill color.
- Data is read from the Interactive Brokers software at the maximum possible speed to avoid any possible delays.
- Corrected an issue with the Intraday Data editor.
- Other improvements and more to come.
- Sierra Chart is now integrated to the Interactive Brokers Trading service. Refer to the Data and Trading Services page on this web site for Interactive Brokers setup instructions.
- An additional input has been added to the Slow Stochastic study.
- Intraday File Update List: This feature will update Intraday chart data files with current data for a list of symbols whether the charts for those symbols are opened or not. The Intraday File Update List window can be displayed from the Global Settings menu.
- A control has been added to the General Settings window for the Alert Sound.
- A Hidden option has been added as a study Subgraph display option.
- Additional improvements with the Pivot Points studies.
- Volatility study added.
- Same As Region scale range type has been added to the Scale window.
- Out of order trade filter for the London stock exchange.
- Improvements with the Fan tool.
- Pressing the control-t keys will bring up the trendline color window. The common colors are displayed at the bottom and can be more easily selected. The individual Fibonacci retracement levels can be set to different colors. Go to Chart-Graphics Settings on the menu to set them.
- Trendline width can be adjusted separately.
- New pivot point study for intraday charts.
- a new function to filter errors in intraday charts.
- Can read more kinds of ASCII data.
- Missing data from historical charts is downloaded when the chart is opened and you are connected to data feed.
- Corrected a bug with the Independent type scaling.
- Can read ASCII intraday data.
- Improvements with the Difference study.
- Closing line study added.
- Text and Fan tools have been added.
- Elder Ray study added.
- Improvements with automatic scrolling when new bars are added to the chart to ensure the most current bar is always displayed.
- An automatic independent scale has been added. The overlay study now uses this new scale type to overlay prices with different scales.
- The adjust data function now works with intraday charts.
- A new study has been added to do currency conversions.
- Display As Main Price Graph Option: This option is in the Technical Study Settings window for a study on the chart. When this option is on, then the study will be displayed as the main price graph in the chart. It will replace the underlying price bars the study is based on and it will become the underlying data for any studies on the chart. For example if you set this option on the Difference study, then any of the other studies can be applied directly to that study. This option can also be used on the Spreadsheet Study. You can use a custom formula in the Spreadsheet Study that uses data from multiple charts. Like your own custom spread formula. You can then apply any of the standard studies available to that spread chart. This option is also very useful to create currency cross rates by using it with the Ratio study and two currency charts. Using this feature with the Spreadsheet Study can be a very useful feature and will let you do many things with Sierra Chart.
- The scanning feature scans only the charts in the active chartbook. All studies, systems and alerts on the scanned charts include the latest trade.
- The program now downloads missing intraday chart data for option charts.
- Improvements and important changes with the Spreadsheet Study feature.
- The last price for a symbol is shown in reverse colors in the price scale area of the chart.
- Using the control-e key will set all charts in a chartbook to the same symbol (see Keyboard Commands in the on-line help for details)
- Triangular Moving Average, Force Index, kurtosis, linear Regressive Slope.
- Overlay study has been added. This study overlays a price graph from another chart on a chart.
- Improvements with the Spreadsheet Study feature. Instructions for the Spreadsheet Study feature are now on the web site.
- The program supports historical chart data directly from the myTrack server instead of the Dial Data service. This simplifies access to historical chart data.
- Simplified opening of new historical and intraday charts.
- Excel support for the Spreadsheet study.
- When downloading intraday chart data, the message log only opens when retrieving more than two days of data.
- Can download historical data from myTrack even if the AIQ trading expert feature is used.
- Corrected a bug with printing.
- The Spreadsheet Study has been added. This study outputs chart data to a Spreadsheet and graphs data from the Spreadsheet to create your own studies.
- Corrected a bug with the scanning feature.
- And and Or operators can be used in condition expressions.
- Improved chart calculator tool.
- Bid ask average line works on all chart types.
- If historical charts are more than 1 day old, then a download will be done before the set download time.
- Version numbers are whole numbers now. It will be incremented by one with new versions. The download file will be named SierraChartSetup.
- The date for Sunday and holiday intraday chart data is automatically corrected to the date the trading is actually occurring on.
- Fibonacci retracement levels can be set in the General settings window.
- Intraday charts can handle new decimal format for stocks.
- Bid and ask displayed in the chart values window. Bid and ask average can be drawn on a chart.
- Can use default chart settings for new charts.
- The latest chart values and price are shown in the chart values window.
- Automatic repair of intraday files.
- The time scale adjustment is now a global setting. It is set in the General Settings window.
- A feature to call external functions for custom studies.
- Horizontal line tool.
- The open interest value in intraday charts shows the number of trades per bar.
- Mountain charts.
- New study that graphs the sum of all charts in a chart book.
- You can set the number of days to load into a chart.
- Works with a new database from the data feed for improved intraday charting. Can use separate colors for point and figure bars. Studies that use two or more charts in their formula no longer need the Include columns with no data option in Chart Settings window because the charts are synchronized. More studies and tools are to be released in the near future.
- Bar spacing is now shown on the chart window. Can track new intraday charts without reconnecting to the data service.
- Reporting of extended hours trading.
- Easier adding of chart symbols.
- Automatic downloading of data for newly added symbols.
- Scrolling past the right side of a chart will fill in right side with space that is automatically filled as new bars are added.
- Spreadsheet window position and size is now saved with the Spreadsheet file.
- A function has been added to the intraday data editor that lets you delete data from any position in an intraday file to the end. This is very useful for deleting data after missing data that causes gaps or for deleting blocks of data with errors. When you connect the data feed again, the deleted data will be replaced with new data from the server.
- New studies: Trade Volume Index. Directional Movement Index. Directional Movement Oscillator. STIX. 3 chart spread.
- Fibonacci support and resistance tool!
- A beep is sounded when a study alert condition becomes true.
- Higher resolution chart printing.
- Rate of Change study can be used on volume.
- Faster updating of intraday charts.
- Can adjust the time scale on intraday charts to your local time. This is useful if you live in Europe.
- Intraday charts now use the date from the data feed and are not affected by incorrect date settings on your computer.
- If symbols are prefixed with a / on a Spreadsheet, then the Net Change can be colored by setting a colored number format for the cells.
- The historical download retry time has been set to 5 seconds from 60 seconds.
- Up to 100 symbols per Spreadsheet.
- Improved price scale display with fractions.
- Study alerts and scanning!
- Can select a study collection name in the study window without losing changes to settings for the studies on chart.
- Many improvements with point and figure charts. Can graph trade volume for point and figure charts.
*Last modified Wednesday, 18th March, 2020.