What Is New
Log of Changes and Improvements to Sierra Chart
This list contains major items of development, items which are notable, and changes and additions which users need to be informed about.
This is not a comprehensive changes and additions log. It only represents less than 25% of the actual development performed every day. There are not version notes for each version. The main Sierra-Chart documentation is updated as needed relating to the changes and additions.
In addition to the below listed items for each version, there are also various low-level improvements, issues resolved, and small additions that a release has which are not listed.
- Various improvements related to data feeds. This version is still considered a pre-release.
- Time and Sales data is now maintained and accessible between data feed connections.
- Internal improvements to the Ask Volume vs. Bid Volume study.
- Daily historical data can now be downloaded from IB. To do this, select File >> Open Historical Chart on the menu. This is still a new feature. Please advise support if you encounter any problems.
- A new interactive scaling feature has been added to allow you to move the chart up and down. To use this new feature, right click in the price scale area and select the Interactive Scale Move option. Then just click and drag in the price scale area to move the chart up and down.
- Corrected issue with IB timestamps not using the local time.
- Resolved some issues related to the data feed services.
- Added a Difference line to the Ask Volume vs Bid Volume study. This study also now supports Time Offset settings in the Data/Trade Service Settings window.
- Added support for the DTN IQ Feed data service. For more information see the DTN IQ Feed page.
- There have been major internal changes with this version to support additional data/trade services. It is considered a pre-release. It should only be used by experienced users or those who wish to use DTN IQ Feed. It is recommended that you install this version in a folder different than where your current Sierra Chart is installed. If any problems are encountered, please advise support about them.
- Added options in the Chart Settings window to hide the Time and Values scale areas.
- Corrected some bugs concerning the "TPO and Volume Profile" study. Additionally, the study now has the capability to extend VA lines. It is strongly recommended that the TPO and Volume Profile study is not in any default chartbooks on the first run of Version 87, please be sure to remove the study before you upgrade Sierra Chart.
- The "TPO and Volume Profile" study has been significantly improved. As a result, to use this study you must remove and re-add the study. It is strongly recommended that the TPO and Volume Profile study is not in any default chartbooks on the first run of Version 86, please be sure to remove the study before you upgrade Sierra Chart.
- Made a change to the Time and Sales data structure used by custom studies. The date of the record is now stored. This change requires custom DLL studies that use Time and Sales to be recompiled to work with this version. If you are using Time and Sales related studies, please wait until the developer of those studies updates them to support this version before installing this version.
- Corrected a problem with Point and Figure charts that would cause an abnormal shutdown
- Added Ask Volume vs Bid Volume Study. (Special Feature)
- Added a new chart type: "TPO and Volume Profile" (Also known as Market Profile). This can be found under Analysis >> Studies on the menu. Currently this is made available at no extra charge to all users. At some point in the future there will be an additional charge for it. The Price Range Increment input changes the price range increment for the profile. The default is currently 1, you may have to adjust this based on the chart you are viewing.
- Corrected a problem logging into the software in some special cases.
- Corrected a problem where a study would not be moved to region 1 when the "Display as Main Price Graph" option was enabled or when setting a Spreadsheet study as a system or alert. Additionally, the Spreadsheet study has a new input to allow a system or alert to be displayed in any region.
- Corrected a problem where out of range inputs were not automatically corrected after closing the study settings window.
- Restored the MyTrack Dial Data Database support.
- Corrected a problem where IB daily volume messages were not being processed correctly. This prevented the display of the cumulative daily volume in the current quote window. This fix also provides slightly better tick and volume counting through a special algorithm by treating volume messages as trades in special cases. Please provide feedback so we can better improve the algorithm.
- Added 2 new commands to the Spreadsheet menu. When you select any cell along a quote line on a Spreadsheet, Open Historical Chart and Open Intraday Chart will open the symbol for the quote line as a Historical or an Intraday Chart respectfully. If the Chart is already open, the Chart will be activated instead.
- Added support for customization of the Toolbar. To customize the Toolbar, select Global Settings >> Customize Toolbar on the menu.
- Added support for customization of the Chart Header. To customize the Chart Header, select Global Settings >> Customize Chart Header on the menu.
- Corrected a problem with version 77 and 78 where the high/low of an intraday data record were not correctly set during real-time updating.
- Fill space is now saved with the chart.
- This version supports the new software service levels.
- Corrected a problem with the storage and display of bond futures prices when using the TransAct service. If you have been charting bond futures, it is necessary to delete the bond futures chart data files before opening them. For instructions, see Deleting a Chart Data File.
- Added new members to the custom DLL study structure that provide the bar index and y position of the active tool.
- Corrected a problem where the scale may have gone to 0 when a study did not cover all of the displayed bars due to not enough data the study required.
- The Preserve Fill Space option on charts has been changed to Lock Fill Space. When this option is enabled, the fill space on that chart will not change due to any new data or scrolling. When this option is not enabled, you can modify the amount of fill space and the fill space will be filled in as new data arrives. You can temporarily toggle this option by holding down the Ctrl key. So if the Lock Fill Space option is on, you can hold down the Ctrl key to modify the fill space, and if the Lock Fill Space option is off, you can hold down the Ctrl key to temporarily lock the fill space. You can easily turn this option on or off by using the Chart >> Lock Fill Space menu item. This option can also be found in the same place that the Preserve Fill Space option was in the Chart Settings window.
- Corrected a problem with the Global Crosshair where the cross-hair on charts other than the active one may not have been precisely on the corresponding bar.
- Corrected a problem where studies such as ADX, MACD, and Bollinger bands, may not have been displayed when using old chartbooks or study collections.
- Holding down the Ctrl key now preserves the fill space when scrolling a chart.
- Changed default vertical line spacing for intraday charts to 1 day.
- Fixed the issue with not being able to set the vertical line spacing settings as default.
- Added DynamicNameExample to the end of studies.cpp as a demonstration for dynamically setting the name of a subgraph in a custom DLL study.
- Redesigned the Data/Trade Service Settings window.
- Corrected a problem with TransAct that may have prevented some symbols from being available.
- Double-clicking in the price scale area on a constant range chart re-centers the chart.
- Added a new Add Study window that supports browsing the available study functions in new or updated custom study DLLs. This can be found by pressing the "Add Custom Study..." button in the Technical Studies window.
- Custom study DLLs can be built to support the new Add Custom Study window that shows available functions in a DLL. For more information about how this is currently supported see the Advanced Custom Study Interface and Language documentation.
- Updated Sierra Chart so that the automatic TWS login feature works for newer TWS versions.
- Added a vertical grid line spacing setting. This is available in the Chart Settings window. By default, the vertical grid line spacing is 1 month for historical charts, and 1 hour for intraday charts. If you have been using the day/month breaks option, then you will need to change the vertical grid line spacing to your requirements by selecting Chart >> Chart Settings on the menu.
- Made improvements to the TransAct data service interface.
- Data Source Settings is now called Data/Trade Service Settings.
- Fixed scaling issues related to Same As Region and DrawZeros.
- Fixed backward compatibility with the Horizontal Line study.
- Added Reset Scale to the Chart menu.
- Internal changes to scaling.
- Updated the Horizontal Line study.
- The Start TRANSACT command on the Trade menu now functions correctly. However, the latest TransAct software is required to support this.
- Added support for the TransAct trading and data platform.
- Improvements to interactive scaling on automatic scaling. Padding can also be added on graphs with User Defined Scaling now. Double clicking the price scale area resets padding to zero.
- Fixed problem with incorrect scaling on charts.
- Fixed value labels on subgraphs to not draw outside of the price scale region.
- Fixed drawing of the main price box so that it draws on top of other price labels, and does not go outside of the price scale region.
- Fixed Snap to High/Low function.
- Fixed Copy and Move Line/Text.
- Corrected a problem with the IB automatic login feature due to changes IB has made to their TWS software.
- Added arrow trendlines.
- Added auto-coloring for study subgraphs. This automatically uses the primary and secondary colors to color the subgraph based upon the slope.
- Added a Graphical Displacement setting to studies. This setting can be accessed at the bottom of the Subgraphs tab in the Technical Study Settings window. This supports negative displacement.
- Added GraphicalDisplacement member to the s_sc struct for DLL studies.
- Renamed GetCorrespondingIndex to GetNearestMatchingDateTimeIndex in the s_sg struct for custom DLL studies. Previously using a negative ChartNumber would not cause synchronization between the two charts. This has been changed so that now a negative number WILL cause synchronization and a positive ChartNumber will not.
- Added the functions GetNearestDateTimeIndex, GetNearestCOleDateTimeIndex, GetIndexForMatchingDateTime, GetIndexForDateTime, and GetIndexForCOleDateTime to the s_sg struct for custom DLL studies.
- Updated the Volume study to use only one subgraph instead of two.
- New Subgraph settings tab in the Technical Study Settings window.
- Minimum line width for study subgraphs is now 0 instead of 1.
- Light colors are no longer inverted for printing if the background color of the chart is also a light color.
- The Trade Window has been redesigned and now occupies less space.
- When using Extending Trendlines, the point of convergence is more accurate.
- Expanded the number of Alert Sounds supported. Sierra Chart now supports up to 16 Alert Sounds.
- Corrected a problem with the Fibonacci tool which caused the horizontal lines not to be displayed all the time.
- Added an option to display Fractions in a Short format. Select Global Settings >> General Settings to set this.
- Corrected a problem where the parabolic study would continuously display a profit or loss message.
- Added NumFillSpaceBars and PreserveFillSpace members to the s_sg struct for custom DLL studies.
- Added studies: Time and Sales Bid&Ask, Time and Sales BidSize, Time and Sales AskSize.
- When replaying multiple charts, there is rock-solid synchronization between charts.
- A Woodies Indicators option has been added to the setup program.
- New interface for study inputs in the Technical Study Settings window.
- The InputType for Inputs 3-32 is now defaulted to FLOAT_VALUE for custom DLL studies.
- Added the input value type MOVAVGTYPE_VALUE.
- Added TextInputName to the s_sg struct for custom DLL studies.
- Added RangeBarValue and RangeBarType to the s_sg struct for custom DLL studies.
- Added the Fill Top and Fill Bottom subgraph styles. To use these styles, you must first have a chart with at least two subgraphs. Set the draw style of one of the subgraphs to Fill Top, and another to Fill Bottom. In order for this style to show up, the subgraph with the Fill Top draw style must have values greater than the subgraph with the Fill Bottom draw style. The color of the subgraph with the Fill Top draw style will be used as the fill color.
- Added the ability for DLLs to use SUBGRAPHINDEX_VALUE and YESNO_VALUE input value types.
- Added a Fibonacci option to color lines the same as the trendline color. This can be found in Global Settings >> Tool Settings.
- Added the ability for DLLs to set text to display after the last bar by using a Date of -1 or -2 with the UseToolEx function. See Using Tools From an Advanced Custom Study for details.
*Last modified Friday, 02nd March, 2018.