What Is New
Log of Changes and Improvements to Sierra Chart
This list contains major items of development, items which are notable, and changes and additions which users need to be informed about.
This is not a comprehensive changes and additions log. It only represents probably 25% of the actual development. There are not version notes for each version. The main Sierra Chart documentation is updated as needed relating to the changes and additions.
In addition to the below listed items for each version, there are also various low-level improvements, issues resolved, and small additions that a release may have which are not listed.
1217 Release Date: 2014-12-12
- The Parallel Rays drawing tool has been modified so that all line extensions are done using the chart coordinate system rather than integer pixel coordinates. This ensures that the lines remain stable with changes with chart scaling. However, this tool and Rays cannot work properly on logarithmic scales because a straight linear line does not fit properly into a logarithmic scale.
- Corrected a printing issue with Chart Drawings where the drawing may not appear due to a coordinate limitation that was implemented many years ago to prevent triggering stability issues in the underlying operating system.
- Corrected a problem where there could be conditions where when a historical daily data download is performed, it may stop an Intraday chart from updating for the same symbol. Although you would continue to see the price box on the right side of the chart move. This was a very rare issue and in most cases when you notice this kind of problem, it was not the result of this problem but for another reason. For example, OEC users will notice a problem just like this but for the reason that the OEC symbol limit has been exceeded.
- The DTC Protocol version number has been increased 5. All the DTC messages and field names have been reviewed and changes were made to make them as logical, consistent, and compact as possible. The DTC documentation will be updated as soon as possible. Any existing Server or Client using DTC will continue to work with this version but a recompile will require naming changes to comply with the changes made.
- All brokers specific CQG connections now support FIX for trading because it has proven to be more reliable than the new CQG Web API for trading.
1216 Release Date: 2014-12-09
- Small change to CQG Web API interface where if the iinitial trade order snapshot data is not fully received, order entry is still possible.
- Corrected trade order rounding issue in CQG Web API interface.
- With the recent changes to the CQG trading platform service integration, one area that has been inconsistent and the source of some issues is the Fill Execution Service ID field for orders fills. In some cases it was not being set correctly or inconsistently between FIX and the Web API. This affects the fills in the Trade Activity Log. The most noticeable effect of this is duplicate order fills which affects Profit/Loss calculations. This has now been resolved going forward. It will not affect existing order fills already logged. There is now a common unique Fill Execution Service ID which works for both CQG FIX and the Web API. The result of these changes is you can have duplicate fills on the day of updating to this version or higher.
- Various low-level improvements and issues resolved with New Spreadsheets.
- Added support for Apply button on the Study Settings window when opened from the Chart Studies window.
- Corrected a problem with the writing of historical Daily data to the data file, arising in a recent version, where numbers that contain a zero immediately to the right of a decimal point would not be properly formatted and instead be formatted as integers. This is now resolved. If you notice any data errors in a Historical Daily chart, it is possible it could be due to this particular problem. To correct the data, select Edit >> Delete All Data and Download.
1213 Release Date: 2014-11-18
- Changed CQG WebAPI interface to resubscribe to Trade Orders and Positions when data is re-requested for better reliability.
- Change to both FIX and web API CQG interfaces clients to use same unique identifier for order fills.
- No longer using a 1 minute backup timer to identify Trade Orders as Canceled and instead always rely upon a definite notification from all of the connected Trading services upon the completion of receiving all Open orders to know that received all Open orders. The backup timer could be a problem in the case where a Trading service takes more than a minute to send Open orders.
- Corrected problem which occurs under certain conditions with Profit/Loss calculations within chart when converted to a common currency. This issue arose from a recent release.
- Corrected an issue where there would be a file error when using sc.SaveChartImageToFile in the ACSIL.
- When copying horizontal parallel lines from a short timeframe per bar chart to a higher timeframe per bar, the mapping is managed better, so that the drawings will appear even if they only normally span one bar in the destination chart.
- The list of Services and Data/Trade Service Settings window is now in alphabetical order.
- New Spreadsheet function added: AVERAGE_IGNOREZEROS.
- Added the ability to flip Lines, Fans and Parallel Lines Chart Drawings horizontally or vertically. This can be done from the Chart Drawing shortcut menu or from the Anchor tab of the Chart Drawing Properties window.
- Corrected a problem with the conversion of TRUE and 1 values from the Buy/Sell columns to the correct values for placement of arrows on the chart when using the Spreadsheet System studies.
1210 Release Date: 2014-11-11
- Orders entered in Trade Simulation Mode from a chart will not be evaluated for a fill if the simulation account number is changed to a different simulation account number than they were submitted with.
- The ACSIL data structure member s_UseTool::UseRelativeValue has been renamed to s_UseTool::UseRelativeVerticalValues. Studies which use this structure member will function properly. However, when they are recompiled they will need to have this member renamed.
- In the case of the CQG Trading platform service, support for trading was added to work through the CQG web socket connection. There was a problem where the protocol definition file from CQG did not work with their Live server. As we understand this is now all resolved. In this version, support for trading through the CQG web socket connection has been restored since it was removed after it was originally released.
- Corrected a problem when reading a significantly older Chartbook where an invalid field code error would occur. This is now resolved.
- Added a new setting: Chart >> Chart Settings >> Advanced Settings >> Load Order Fills for Current Day Only. When this option is enabled, the default, then order fills are only loaded for the date of the last day in the chart. The start time of the trading day is based upon the Daily Stats Reset Time in Global Settings >> General Trade Settings. The purpose of the setting is to ensure an accurate Daily Profit/Loss calculation by avoiding the matching of order fills for the current trading day with fills from prior days, when there are missing fills, which can affect the Daily Profit/Loss calculation.
- Corrected a problem with the Continuous Futures Contract feature where under certain conditions which are not common, a chart may not update in real time after historical data has been downloaded for the chart. This could occur if historical data was downloaded and then it was detected the historical data need to be downloaded again for that chart when the original historical data downloads were all complete.
- Added new study: Volume and Price Threshold Alert.
1209 Release Date: 2014-11-05
- Added support for the CQG Trading service for trading functionality to work through the web socket connection. The FIX connection is no longer used with the "CQG Trading" Service in Sierra Chart. If you still want to use the FIX connection, that can be selected by choosing the "CQG FIX Trading" service within Global Settings >> Data/Trade Service Settings. For further information, refer to this thread.
- Support for historical tick by tick data from Rithmic. This is for only the most recent 10 to 15 minutes of historical data. For further information refer to Historical Tick by tick Data Instructions.
- Various improvements and issues resolved with New Spreadsheets.
- Corrected a problem with zero values being set into the destination study when using the Study/Price Overlay study when a positive Graphical Displacement is used on the source study.
1206 Release Date: 2014-10-28
- Updated TransAct Trading service bridge.
- Fixed order ID handling issue with CQG.
- Volume at Price Threshold Alert study has been added.
- Z-Score study has been added.
- Corrected problem with New Spreadsheets where not equal comparison(<>) between 0 an empty cell would evaluate to true. This will now evaluate to false. However, in generally need to be careful with the types you are comparing to. For example, a text string, even if it is empty, would be regarded as not being a numeric zero.
- Updated the connection to OEC to use a new SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) version required by the FIX server.
1204 Release Date: 2014-10-22
- Corrected a problem with the Clean Chart study collection where it would cause an error when applied to the chart. This is now resolved.
- In a recent release, the code for the Numbers Bars-Old study has been removed. This unexpectedly cause two problems. One problem is the Message Log would display this message: Study: 298 | Exception occurred while calling study function.. The Message Log will no longer display this message and the study will be listed as (unknown name) in the Studies to Graph list.
- Updated the connection to LMAX to use at a minimum TLS 1.0 or higher. This resolves a connection problem that was reported to the LMAX trading server.
1202 Release Date: 2014-10-16
- Improved the processing of TT FIX and AMP TT Net Position Reports processing so in the case where the Start of Day Position Report is interleaved with the current day order fill Position Reports, the Trade Position Quantity calculation still remains correct. We have discovered where the server can send these two category of Position Reports interleaved with each other and this causes a resetting of the Trade Position data back to zero while it is being calculated resulting in an inaccurate Trade Position Quantity for a symbol.
- Worked around an apparent operating system bug affecting the standard period decimal point character from being used where a comma is set as the decimal point delimiter in the operating system. For more information, refer to this Support Board thread.
- The code for the Numbers Bars-Old study has been removed. You need to remove it from the chart and use the new Numbers Bars study. The study will not have a name in the Analysis >> Studies >> Studies to Graph list. Refer to the Numbers Bars study documentation.
1200 Release Date: 2014-09-26
- There are three new Chart / Trade DOM columns that can be added: Current Traded Total Volume, Current Traded Bid Volume, Current Traded Ask Volume. All of these accumulate current traded volume until the values are cleared. These values are cleared independently from the Recent Bid/Ask Volume. The values can be cleared using the Trade Window Menu, Context Menu (right click over values), or you can set up a ToolBar button or keyboard shortcut. These new columns have custom Text Colors that can be set through Global Settings >>Graphic Settings.
- Corrections to various small issues reported on Support Board relating to recent and past development.
- Added support for text-to-speech alerts. The interface for this is in Global Settings >> General Settings >> Alerts.
- Continued performance improvements to the New Spreadsheets.
- Improvements to the management of historical data downloading for Continuous Futures Contract charts.
- The Value On High and Value On Low Draw Styles are now offset so they do not cover the High and Low of a chart bar, respectively.
- Added support for the FXCM FIX Trading service to support multiple trading accounts. Multiple trading account numbers can be separated by a comma in Global Settings >> Data/Trade Service Settings >> Connection Details >> Account. This feature requires further testing by Sierra Chart before it should be relied on.
- In the case of Target and Stop Attached Orders, when Sierra Chart is disconnected from the trading server and becomes connected again, and either the Target or Stop order is no longer working, its sibling, the other Target or Stop, will be canceled. This is for safety reasons. This functionality has always existed but only if the other order was reported as filled, would it sibling be canceled. Now if the other order is either filled or canceled, then its sibling will be canceled as well.
1196 Release Date: 2014-09-26
- There is a new option in the ZigZag study: "Text Label Offset Specified As" which will allow you to specify a Percentage or Tick Size. The "Text Label Offset" will specify the magnitude like it always has.
- Corrected a problem with the processing of the initial market depth data from the CQG Trading Platform service.
- Corrected a problem with recent changes to the Study/Price Overlay study where Fill Blanks with Last Value may not always work.
- Reduced CPU usage for the bridge program used for the Rithmic Trading Platform service.
- There is a new column in the Alerts Log which which displays the Alert Source. The Alerts Log tab column order can also be changed by dragging the column headers.
1191 Release Date: 2014-09-16
- Corrected a problem where the historical daily data which is needed for the latest futures contract in an Intraday chart which is set to a Continuous Futures Contract chart using a volume rollover or is back adjusted, would not be kept up-to-date if there was no Historical Daily chart open for the current futures contract.
- Corrected a problem from a recent release where Study Collection files would say they require a newer version of Sierra Chart. This is now resolved.
- The Study/Price Overlay Study now supports drawing beyond the last bar on the destination chart when overlaying a study from the source chart which is shifted forward through the Displacement setting.
- Added the following new Spreadsheet functions: TRUNCHOUR, TRUNCMIN, TRUNCSEC.
1188 Release Date: 2014-09-09
- Added support for server-side OCO and bracket orders for the OEC Trading service.
- The Color Bar Based on Alert Condition study has a new Draw Style Offset Type input to offset non-color bar styles based upon a Percentage or Number of Ticks according to the chart Tick Size.
- Corrected a problem arising in a recent release where the Evaluate on Bar Close option was not being followed in the evaluation of Simple Study and Chart Alerts.
- Server-side OCO orders are now available to Rithmic Optimus futures users.
- Corrected a problem when using the Study Subgraph Fill Draw Styles where the value labels would be referring to one bar forward instead of the last bar displayed.
- Corrected a problem from the prior release where the Chart Values tool would become active when left clicking when using the Pointer tool and the Chart Values tool setting Always on When Using Other Tools is enabled.
1185 Release Date: 2014-09-03
- Corrected a problem with the loading of historical Daily data from the data file. Some recent days of data may not have been loaded. This problem arose with file I/O changes that are being made in the software to support other operating systems.
- Corrected a problem from a recent release where real-time stock/equities data would not have been received when using the Sierra Chart Real-Time and Historical Exchange Data Feed.
- Corrected a problem with the downloading of historical data from the Sierra Chart Historical Data Service where download requests may have been rejected indicating they do not contain a two digit year even if the symbol did have a two digit year.
1183 Release Date: 2014-09-02
- Rewrote the Chaikin Money flow study.
- Historical Intraday data for Rithmic is now provided by the Sierra Chart Historical Data Service except for the most recent 10 minutes of historical data. Historical tick by tick data is provided with Sierra Chart service package 5. With package 3, the timeframe of the historical Intraday data records is 2 seconds minimum. This historical Intraday data provides Bid Volume and Ask Volume.
- Corrected a problem with the handling of server side bracket orders for IB and CTS T4, where Moved to Breakeven and trailing processing for child Stop orders would begin to occur when the parent order is modified, even if it has not been filled.
1178 Release Date: 2014-08-25
- Corrected a problem from version 1177 with DTC protocol data structures which would affect the market data snapshot and historical data downloading. Version 1177 has been locked out.
- The Vertical Line Tool configuration window now allows alerts to be configured.
- The Alert Once and Blink Once Per Bar Options are made more reliable for Chart Drawings.
- Alerts are re-allowed if a Chart Drawing is moved or adjusted. This does not apply if Only Trigger Once is enabled and was triggered.
- The following ACSIL variables and functions related to the computer system Pointer have been renamed. The documentation for these has been updated as well.
- MouseEventType >> PointerEventType
- ReceiveMousePointerEvents >> ReceivePointerEvents
- SC_MOUSE_DOWN >> SC_POINTER_BUTTON_DOWN
- SC_MOUSE_MOVE >> SC_POINTER_MOVE
- SC_MOUSE_UP >> SC_POINTER_BUTTON_UP
- Stop orders as the main order for server-side Bracket orders can now be used when using CTS T4.
1174 Release Date: 2014-08-14
- Added support for CTS T4 FIX Trading service server-side bracket orders. Only Limit and Market if Touched orders can be used as the parent/main order. Market and Stop orders are not supported for server side bracket orders. If a Market or Stop order is used as the parent order, the initial management of the bracket order will be performed by Sierra Chart.
- Added new option: Global Settings >> Tool Settings >> Prompt When Deleting All Chart Drawings .
- Added a ToolBar button for Clear Recent Bid and Ask Volume. The command Clear Recent Bid and Ask Volume can also be accessed from the shortcut menu by right clicking on the price scale. This command only applies to the Recent Bid and Ask Volume columns on the Chart/Trade DOM.
1173 Release Date: 2014-08-09
- Added the following ACSIL functions: void * sc.AllocateMemory(int Size) , sc.FreeMemory(void *Pointer).
- Corrected an issue with the new IB server-side bracket feature where trailing stop orders were activated before the parent order filled. This is now resolved.
- Corrected an intermittent issue arising in a recent release where when using the CTS T4 trading service, real-time updates of the chart bars may not have occurred after the historical Intraday data was downloaded.
- Added the following option: Global Settings >> General Settings>> Wait for Prior Alert Sound to Finish Before Playing Next Queued Sound .
1172 Release Date: 2014-08-07
- Fixed an issue related to when setting a string into a SCString in an ACSIL data structure. This affected the Time Line study when displaying text on vertical lines.
- Worked on Linear Regression End Channel study to make it consistent with the Linear Regression tool.
- Solved some issues with Spreadsheets and Simple Alerts in the non-CLR version.
- With the new Interactive Brokers server-side bracket feature, when the parent order fills, Sierra Chart will no longer modify the Target and Stop order to maintain the original Attached Order offset settings.
- Corrected a problem with the DTC protocol where the determination of whether bracket orders are supported on the server may not have been correct.
- Low-level improvements with historical data downloading from DTN IQ Feed.
1167 Release Date: 2014-08-02
- In ACSIL the Line Width will now be able to be adjusted to zero for highlight drawings allowing the removal of the outline. Your code will need to be recompiled against version 1167 or higher, and you will need to explicitly set the LineWidth to zero. Example: Tool.LineWidth = 0;.
- For removing text from ACSIL added chart drawing, you will now be able to explicitly set the s_UseTool::Text member to an empty string to cause the label to be removed. Example: Tool.Text = "";.
- Corrected a problem from a recent release when downloading historical Intraday data when using Rithmic through Optimus Futures. If you are missing tick by tick data in the chart, re-download the data with Edit >> Delete All Data and Download.
- Added support for multiple Trade Simulation Mode accounts. Refer to Multiple Trade Simulation Accounts for more information.
- There are now four commands on the Help menu for downloading an updated version of Sierra Chart. There is support for downloading the current version or the prerelease, and for each of these you can download support for the new spreadsheets or the old spreadsheets. Old spreadsheets refers to the spreadsheet functionality provided in the standard version of Sierra Chart all these years. For existing users of the old spreadsheets, we recommend downloading the version that supports the old spreadsheets. The new spreadsheets are nearing completion but not fully ready for existing users.
1166 Release Date: 2014-07-29
- The Trade Stats for Charts tab has been moved from the Trade >> Trade Orders and Positions window to the Trade >> Trade Activity Log.
- There is a new menu command to globally mute all alert sounds: Global Settings >> Mute All Alert Sounds. This command can also be added as a ToolBar button.
- Added server-side bracket order support with Interactive Brokers. To use this feature, enable Global Settings >> General Settings >> Use Server-side OCO and Bracket Orders.
- Added support to download historical Intraday data for unexpired contracts when using the CTS T4 trading service, from the Sierra Chart Historical Data Service. To use this feature, enable Global Settings >> Data/Trade Service Settings >> Allow Support for Sierra Chart Data Feeds. The historical data is in 30 seconds units. Disable this option to download historical Intraday data from the CTS T4 system instead.
1163 Release Date: 2014-07-22
- Corrected a problem arising in the prior release with the handling of IB trading service symbols when getting the non-simulated Trade positions, which would cause some symbols to report a Position of 0 in the Trade Window when there was a nonzero position for the symbol.
- Added an extra layers of safety to ensure an order does not get submitted more than once. This primarily applies to Limit Attached Orders which are being held until touched (feature added in 1161).
1161 Release Date: 2014-07-19
- The Find Symbol Window can now do a search of symbol descriptions for the TeleTrader service. In the lower right of the window is a new button Search By Desc. You can select an exchange, enter search text, and use this button to do simple searches.
- There is a new Adjust button in the Tools >> Manage Chart Drawings Window to adjust Chart Drawings by a specified price amount. You can select either the symbol root of the drawing list to adjust all Chart Drawings for the selected symbol or you can select individual Chart Drawings within a symbol to adjust select Chart Drawings.
- There is a new setting in Chart >> Chart Settings to set the Chart Region for the main price graph to be displayed in.
- There is the new option: Global Settings >> General Trade Settings >> Hold Limit Attached Orders on Client Side Until Touched where when enabled, will hold Target Attached Orders on the client-side, in other words not sent to the server, until they are touched. The purpose of this feature is when there is not server-side OCO and connectivity is lost between Sierra Chart and the trading server, only the Stop order will be at the trading server and if it is filled, then there is not a chance the Limit order could fill and put you back into the market.
1159 Release Date: 2014-07-12
- The Find Symbol window remembers the previous symbol and branch selected.
- Cleaned up the Symbol List saving and loading menu and functionality on the Quote Board. The menu has been renamed to File. The functionality provided by this menu previously was not well organized and functioning as intended.
1158 Release Date: 2014-07-10
- There is a new setting in Global Settings >> General Settings to specify the folder when saving chart images. The filename of saved chart images will now contain the Date and Time in a readable format.
- Added a new setting to General Trade Settings to use the bid or ask price for open profit/loss calculations. Currently this only applies to the open profit/loss values within a chart.
- You can now search by description in Find Symbol window when using the TeleTrader Data service.
- Added a new Graph Draw Type to draw hollow candlesticks (GDT_CANDLESTICK_HOLLOW). This is useful when using the Numbers Bars study and you also want to draw a candlestick outline on top of the Numbers Bars. This can be done by using the Overlay (Bar) study and overlaying the same Chart Number that the study is on.
1156 Release Date: 2014-07-02
- Corrected a connection problem to Rithmic and TeleTrader which arose from the previous release.
- Added the ability for sc.OpenChartOrGetChartReference to specify the timeframe of bars for Historical charts. This can be daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly or yearly. Refer to the scsf_OpenChartOrGetChartReferenceExample code example for details.
1155 Release Date: 2014-07-01
- Volume for stocks from the IB Trading service is now multiplied by 100 to create actual volume which matches the volume from the Sierra Chart Historical Data service which is now used for historical Intraday data.
- LineNumbers are now automatically assigned for ACSIL added Chart Drawings. Previously they were only automatically assigned for an ACSIL Chart Drawing identified as user drawn.
- Continued improvements with the new Non-CLR Spreadsheets.
1154 Release Date: 2014-06-28
- Corrected a problem where an ACSIL study was not able to modify a user drawn drawing. Support for this was recently added but had an implementation issue. For an example to modify a user drawn drawing, refer to scsf_AdjustUserDrawnDrawingExample in /ACS_Source/studies.cpp.
- Corrected a problem with the trading statistics studies like Trading: Daily Profit/Loss. The problem was that the trade statistics data were not adjusted to the Time Zone setting in Sierra Chart. This created a graph which was out of alignment with the timescale on the chart.
1152 Release Date: 2014-06-25
- Update: Due to recent changes, the SendOrdersToTradeService automated trading management variable must be set consistently with the global Trade >> Trade Simulation Mode On setting. If global Trade Simulation Mode is off, then SendOrdersToTradeService must be set to Yes/TRUE for any order action (submitting, modifying, canceling order) to work, otherwise they will be ignored and there will be an error. If global Trade Simulation Mode is on, then SendOrdersToTradeService must be set to No/FALSE for any order action (submitting, modifying, canceling order) to work, otherwise they will be ignored and there will be an error.
- Support for historical Bid and Ask prices has now been fully implemented. As of June 23, 2014 our servers are now maintaining this data for many of the supported Data and Trading services. This feature provides accurate Bid and Ask prices during chart replays.
- Corrected a problem with the AMP/TTNet trading service where if there were 2 or more overnight positions, those positions would not have been reported upon a connection to the trading server.
- Corrected a problem from the prior release where the Compact Tool Values Window was not displayed.
- All of the tabs on the Trade Activity Log now use Sierra Chart developed displays rather than operating system list controls. This greatly improves performance and eliminates any stability issues.
- Corrected a problem from a recent release where when using one of the back adjusted Chart >> Chart Settings >> Advanced Settings >> Continuous Contract options, the open price for some historical bars would be close to zero when using tick by tick data.
- There is now the ability to Save and Load Data and Trading service specific settings within the
Global Settings >> Data/Trade Service Settings window. This is useful when you have different sets of settings for the same Data or Trading service.
1149 Release Date: 2014-06-21
- Futures spread symbols are now supported when using OEC. The spread symbols need to be looked up through the OEC trading software. In Sierra Chart you will need to use the exact same spread symbol as is used in the OEC trading software.
- The Time Line and Time Range Highlight studies now support drawing into the forward projection area of the chart after the last displayed bar. To enable this, set the Display in Forward Projection Area input with these studies to Yes.
- Corrected a problem with the non-CLR Spreadsheets, which arose in a recent release, with the outputting of study data to the Sheet.
- The ACSIL variable sc.CurrentSystemDateTime, no longer includes milliseconds. The milliseconds part of the time is always zero. Added the ACSIL member sc.CurrentSystemDateTimeMS which includes the current system time milliseconds.
1148 Release Date: 2014-06-18
- Updated the interface to TeleTrader due to changes made by TeleTrader. To use TeleTrader, it is required that you use this version or higher.
- Corrected a price formatting issue for some symbols for the CQG Trading service.
- In the case of the TT FIX/AMP trading services, CBOT symbols which use the CME exchange code, are now automatically converted to CBOT.
*Last modified Friday, 17th February, 2017.