What Is New
Log of Changes and Improvements to Sierra Chart
This list contains major items of development, items which are notable, and changes and additions which users need to be informed about.
This is not a comprehensive changes and additions log. It only represents less than 25% of the actual development performed every day. There are not version notes for each version. The main Sierra-Chart documentation is updated as needed relating to the changes and additions.
In addition to the below listed items for each version, there are also various low-level improvements, issues resolved, and small additions that a release has which are not listed.
1292 Release Date: 2015-09-05
- Corrected a problem from version 1291 where the market depth quantities were not properly aligned to the prices that they are for.
- Continued development of the DTC Protocol Server. Market data is fully supported now. The server can be enabled through Global Settings >> Data/Trade Service Settings >> SC Server Settings >> DTC Protocol Server.
- Implemented Quote Line fields in Quote Spreadsheets which were not previously implemented.
- Window >> Cascade, Tile Horizontally, Tile Vertically now arrange MDI child windows in the same order as they appear in the Windows and Chartbooks window, which is also the same order as the tabs on the Chartbook.
- Removed the use of the Microsoft Windows HTTP functions. All HTTP communication now uses Sierra Chart developed HTTP functionality.
- Corrected a problem from a recent release where there would be continuous messages added to the Message Log related to SSL and HTTP.
- Corrected a problem from a recent release where a freeze would occur when there is a login error at the main Sierra Chart login window.
- Various other undocumented small development and issues resolved.
1288 Release Date: 2015-08-27
- The Vertical Line Tool has new option called Vertical Text. From ACSIL, the s_UseTool struct also has a new member called VerticalText, which applies to Vertical Line drawings.
1287 Release Date: 2015-08-24
- Added Google Protocol Buffer encoding support in the DTC Protocol.
- Reorganized and added new Chart Values tool options. These are in Global Settings >> Tool Settings >> Chart Values.
- Significant performance improvements with the Volume by Price study have been made when using single Volume Profiles like manually drawn profiles.
- A separate font setting for the Compact Tool Values window in Global Settings >> Graphics Settings >> Fonts has been added.
- Notice: The Sierra Chart Relay Server now uses DTC protocol version 7. With the removal of the Fundamental Data messages from the DTC Protocol, there is now a breaking structure change to the s_SecurityDefinitionResponse data structure. This will require changes to any code that uses the relay server. For the current structure, refer to the /DTC/DTCProtocol.h file.
1285 Release Date: 2015-08-18
- Added support to access SC Forex Data when using any of the other supported Data and Trading services. The symbols are listed in File >> Find Symbol under the categories CFD and Forex. This symbol listings may not be up-to-date until the end of the day on 2015-08-18.
- Corrected a problem with the new Control Bar with setting the focus to the last active window. The timing of this has been changed. Previously when pressing the TOP Control Bar button to open the Trade Orders and Positions window, it would not become visible. This is now solved.
- Implementing a new DTC Protocol Server in Sierra Chart.
- Continued Control Bar improvements.
- Improvements to the Trade Window. Trade Windows can now be linked between charts. This is set through Chart >> Chart Settings >> Advanced Settings 2 >> Chart Linking.
1282 Release Date: 2015-08-08
- Continued improvements and development with the new Control Bar. For complete details about this and alternatives to the old Status Bar, refer to this Support Board thread. Refer to this Support Board post for complete instructions to set up the Compact Tool Values window to be equivalent to the old Status Bar.
- Renamed the ACSIL function sc.GetOrderFillSize to sc.GetOrderFillArraySize.
1281 Release Date: 2015-08-05
- Corrected a problem where when using a data recording suffix like -BID with an Intraday chart, historical Intraday data would be continuously downloaded over and over again. This is a critical update if you are using these data recording suffixes.
- Added new order line color settings for child orders. These are set through Global Settings >> Graphics Settings.
- Corrected another problem with the positioning of the Compact Tool Values Window when it is saved for each individual chart, when a chart is moved and when using the option to automatically hide the title bar and scrollbar for charts.
- For the Trading Loss Management feature in Trade >> Global Profit/Loss Management , the Loss Trigger Value now needs to be a negative number. A zero or positive number will disable this feature.
1280 Release Date: 2015-08-01
- Added support to track Positions using the internal Trade Position data for OEC exchange traded spread/strategy symbols. OEC only reports the Positions for the individual parts of the spread/strategy but not the spread/strategy symbol itself. With this new feature you will see the Trade Position reported for the spread/strategy symbol, on the Trade Window for the chart.
- Corrected a problem with the positioning of the Compact Tool Values Window when it is saved for each individual chart, when a chart is moved.
- Added a new feature in Trade >> Global Profit/Loss Management to flatten all current Trade Positions when a certain Daily Loss is reached among the open charts and Trade DOMs. This only works for non-simulated trading.
- Continued improvements with the new Control Bar.
1276 Release Date: 2015-07-23
- Completed the main development on the new Control Bar.
- Corrected a problem with New Spreadsheets where a Reference (#REF!) error would be given under certain conditions related to an incorrect determination of a circular reference. This is now solved.
- Enhancements to automated trade logging to precisely identify the source of order cancel and position flatten operations.
- Various improvements to the new Control bar and fixed some issues related to it.
- Corrected an issue with chart printing where the chart would be small and not occupy the entire page.
- Corrected a problem with User Contributed studies which under some conditions would cause a freeze of Sierra Chart when pressing the Add Custom Study button in the Chart Studies window.
1270 Release Date: 2015-07-10
- On the QuoteBoard Alerts menu, there is a new command: Alert Num For New High/Low. This menu item is appended with either None or the Alert Number to be used. When this command is selected, an Alert Number can be entered. When there is a new High or Low for a symbol on the Quote Board and the Alert Number is nonzero, then an alert is triggered using this Alert Number.
- Released support for the new Control Bar which contains ToolBar buttons, a Status Bar and a Watch List. This feature is still under active development and currently has some limitations. The old Status Bar has been removed. For complete details about this and alternatives to the old Status Bar, refer to this Support Board posting.
- The DRAWING_REWARD_RISK now can be used from ACSIL. For an example function which demonstrates its use, refer to the scsf_UseToolExampleRewardRisk() function in the /ACS_Source/Studies.cpp file. The Reward/Risk drawing is a rather complex drawing to add due to the number of options. The example lays out all of the options and documents what they do. The example should be used to understand how to add a DRAWING_REWARD_RISK drawing.
- Low-level improvements to the Continuous Futures Contract feature related to the recent improvements with this feature.
1269 Release Date: 2015-07-10
- Added support for out of order order fills when using the TransAct trading service. This ensures that when this condition occurs, that Attached Orders will have the same quantity as the parent order.
- Corrected a condition where there could be continuous historical Intraday data downloading for a Continuous Futures Contract chart when insufficient data is returned from the server.
1268 Release Date: 2015-07-07
- Added the ability to configure keyboard shortcuts for TPO Chart commands through Global Settings >> Customize Keyboard Shortcuts. When keyboard shortcuts are configured, the TPO Profiles can be selected with the left click of the pointer on the TPO Profile. The TPO command invoked with the keyboard shortcut will then apply to the selected TPO Profile, if that command is profile specific.
- Added a new input to the Trade Management by Study study named: Only Modify Stops In One Direction.
- Added a new input to the Auto Retracement/Projection study named: Round to Nearest Tick Size.
- Added new study: Adaptive RSI Moving Average With Smoothing.
- Improvements to the Analysis >> Studies >> Add Custom Study function where an abnormal shutdown or freezing condition which could occur due to a faulty DLL file, has been eliminated in most cases.
- For both of the Heikin-Ashi studies, when they are set to Display as Main Price Graph, the Ask/Bid Volume Difference Bars and all of the Cumulative Delta Bars studies can be used with the Heikin-Ashi studies.
1267 Release Date: 2015-07-02
- Added a new input to the Numbers Bars study named: Enable Diagonal Zero Bid/Ask Compares.
- Added to the Alerts tab of the Study Settings window an option named: "Use Full Precision When Evaluating Alert Formula (can cause unexpected results)". When this option is enabled, all of the values referenced in the study Alert Condition Formula are not rounded off to the corresponding Value Format but used in their full precision.
- Added the Forecast Oscillator study.
- Corrected a problem from the prior release where the last study in a Study Collection was not being applied to a chart.
- Low-level improvements to the Continuous Futures Contract feature where invalid price data in the historical Daily data files which Continuous Futures Contract charts rely on, is automatically detected and corrected. When re-downloading data in an Intraday Continuous Futures Contract chart, the historical Daily data is fully re-downloaded as well if it is relied upon.
- Added the ability to the Time and Sales window to filter on Combined Records.
1265 Release Date: 2015-06-25
- Added the ability to set the Step Amount for the Triggered Step Trail Stop and Triggered Step Trail Stop Limit Attached Orders.
- The number of regions available for studies and the base graph has been increased from 8 to 12.
- Added new rollover methods to the Global Symbol Settings.
1264 Release Date: 2015-06-19
- Can now set the begin/end time for Rectangle Chart Drawings, and the begin time for Extending Rectangles through the Chart Drawing Configuration window. These settings are only valid when creating the Rectangles, and once created they can be modified as normal Rectangle drawings. When a Chart Drawing is created in this mode, the date from the initial Pointer left click is used along with the specified times. If the times are reversed, then an additional day is added to the ending anchor point (Example: draw from 18:00-03:00).
- Added the ability to cut a Rectangle Chart Drawing. Previously could only cut Extending Rectangle drawings.
- Made corrections to the code in the Random Walk Indicator study.
- Added keyboard shortcuts for the Custom Text Drawing buttons which can be added to the control bar.
- Enhancements to Attached Orders. The Move to Breakeven functionality for stops now supports 2 steps. There is also a Negative Offset in Ticks Triggered action type. This works similar to Offset in Ticks Triggered, except that a position which creates a loss will cause the stop to move towards breakeven.
- Corrected a problem where the new control bar was displaying on detached charts. This has been disabled for now.
- In an earlier release the Select Drawn Volume Profile By Outline Only option has been added to Global Settings >> Tool Settings.
- Added the Bollinger Bands - StandardDeviationOfAverage study to the Analysis >> Studies >> Add Custom Study list.
- Various small issues resolved.
1261 Release Date: 2015-06-04
- Added a Moving Average - Simple Skip Zeros study.
- Corrected a problem when using the CQG Trading service where during times when the market is closed, there could be price bars created when there is no actual trading activity.
- Changes to Market Depth data handling for the CQG Trading service.
- Enabling Limit Chase orders is now done through the Trade Window Menu/M button. The command is Use Limit Chase Orders.
- Added sc.CloseChart(int ChartNumber) and SC.CloseChartbook(const SCString& ChartbookFileName) ACSIL functions.
- Corrected a problem the CQG FIX Trading service account balance processing and added support for a new FIX report through CQG FIX to access account balance data through this report. However, feedback indicates that this report needs to be enabled on the server side. Update (2015-06-05): According to CQG, account balance support has now been added and now should work properly.
- Added the Relative Volume study.
- Added new ACSIL SC_BID_PRICE and SC_ASK_PRICE arrays for sc.BasedDataIn and added the Bid and Ask Prices study.
- Various other small issues resolved.
1257 Release Date: 2015-05-23
- The Fix Row and Fix Column functionality has been added to New Spreadsheets.
- Added formula function WEEKNUM to New Spreadsheets.
- In the formula details window on the New Spreadsheets, double-clicking or pressing the Enter/Return key on an item that is either a reference or returns a reference will now immediately jump to the referenced cell.
- Corrected a problem from a recent release where Trailing Stop orders, including Move to Breakeven Stops, were not functioning when using server side bracket orders with Interactive Brokers.
- Continuing improvements with New Spreadsheets.
1256 Release Date: 2015-05-19
- Improved the Move to Breakeven (BE) button on the Trade Window. An offset can now be specified controlling a positive or negative offset to the parent order fill price that the Stop Attached Order is moved to. This offset is set through Trade >> Open Trade Window for Chart >> Set >> Move to BE Offset (Ticks).
- Corrected some issues from recent releases causing an abnormal shutdown when using complex formulas in spreadsheets.
1255 Release Date: 2015-05-14
- The Trade Service Average Price is always used for the Position Average Price displayed on a chart or Trade DOM when using Interactive Brokers.
- Added the "Minimum Width For Volume Profile in Bars" Input to the TPO Profile Chart study. This controls the minimum number of bars that a Volume Profile for a TPO Profile will occupy in the chart.
- Added a Move to Breakeven (BE) button to the Trade Window. This will move the nearest Stop Attached Order to the fill price of its parent order. Additional enhancements will be added later on.
1253 Release Date: 2015-05-09
- Effective with this version, there is no longer support to connect to Ninja Trader Brokerage using Rithmic on or after June 1, 2015.
- When using the Days to Load Chart Linking option, this now also includes loading data based on date range. So those date range settings are applied across linked charts as well.
- Corrected a small problem when there are repeating timestamps in the chart and when using the Volume by Price study where volume profiles are based on a specified number of bars, the number of bars the profiles cover may not always be correct.
- In the case of when server side bracket orders are supported with a Trading service, Sierra Chart will not attempt to modify the prices of the Attached Orders on a parent order fill to maintain the offsets the Attached Orders originally had to the parent order based upon the fill price of the parent order. In the past this would occur if Global Settings >> General Trade Settings >> Adjust Attached Orders to Maintain Same Offset on Parent Fill.
- Changes to the Value Area calculation method when counting 2 levels at a time, to make the calculation method similar to other programs.
1252 Release Date: 2015-05-02
- Added a new input to the TPO Profile chart study named Highlight Sub Period Midpoint Letter/Block , and a subgraph for the color and line width named Sub Period Midpoint Letter/Block Highlight.
- Corrected a problem where an unsupported order type for some trading services was being set as a market order type rather than being internally rejected.
1251 Release Date: 2015-04-28
- Added a Hollow attribute for non-line based Marker drawing tool types.
- Corrected small problem when compiling ACSIL source code which would generate compiler errors.
- Corrected a problem when using the Draw Volume Profile tool, where the Volume by Price profile does not appear immediately.
1249 Release Date: 2015-04-22
- Added the following new ACSIL members: sc.IsChartDataLoadingInChartbook() and sc.DataTradeServiceName().
- Added support which was previously removed due to some other changes, for longer-term Historical Daily charts for trading services that use a single digit year in the symbols. This change may require the data in a Daily or Intraday chart to be re-downloaded if the price values are incorrect at some points in the chart. For further information, refer to this Support Board posting.
- Various enhancements to the new File Open/Save dialog window.
- Corrected a problem from a recent release with the Rithmic bridge program used for connecting to Rithmic. Due to the fact that the Rithmic bridge uses an API component with a proprietary and not well understood design method, a problem arose where when an order is submitted, this sometimes could cause the bridge program to freeze. This is now solved.
1247 Release Date: 2015-04-14
- Added the ability to make a line parallel to a Pitchfork, Regression and other Chart Drawings when using the Make Line Parallel Chart Drawing shortcut menu command.
- The Bar Time Duration study now properly considers the session ending times to calculate the bar duration correctly.
- Enhancements to the Volume by Price study to properly control the Draw Styles for the Point of Control and Value Area Subgraphs when those are set to be drawn on the chart.
- Added flat edge option in s_UseTool for Chart Drawings from ACSIL For Drawing Tools, renamed ValuePerPoint to ValueIncrementPerBar.
- A new mode for Gann Fan and Gann Grid drawing tools which sets price square with second drawing point. The new mode is the default, and the old mode is still supported. In the Drawing Tool Configuration window you can now specify how the Value Increment Per Bar is specified (used to be called Value Per Point). The options are to set the value from the second pointer click, use the value from the Drawing tool configuration, or use the Chart Settings value. If you need to use both new and old behavior, then you can configure multiple Drawing Tool configurations and switch between them.
- The Gann Fan and Fibonacci Fan can also now be cut at a specific bar. All lines are cut at same point.
- There is a new Yes/No input added to the TPO Profile Chart and TPO Value Area Lines studies, to count 2 levels at a time when calculating the Value Area.
- Corrected a problem from a recent release with the transition from one futures contract to the next during a replay would result in an error and the chart would stop replaying.
- Support for changing the chart Bar Period Type and period to any of the supported Bar Period Types from the chart through the keyboard, has been added. Updated documentation.
- Corrected a problem with Chart >> Show Rollover Dates where it would not work in all cases.
1245 Release Date: 2015-04-08
- Added ACSIL functions sc.GetIndexOfHighestValue and sc.GetIndexOfLowestValue.
- Chart linking has been changed where the linking options in each chart are independent from each other. It is the Chart Linking option in the chart itself which affects whether a particular link option is applied to that chart. In Chart >> Chart Settings >> Advanced Settings 2 >> Chart Linking, there is a new button named Apply to Linked Charts. When this button is pressed, then any other charts within the same Chartbook that have the same Link Number, will get the same Chart Linking settings which are currently set on the chart.
- Continued work on the DTC Protocol. Added support for binary encoding with variable length strings and JSON encoding. Documentation is in the process of being updated.
- Corrected a problem with the Volume by Price study when there is a hand drawn profile, where the point of control and volume value area lines would not clear as the profile is moved around the chart.
- Added the ability to cancel working orders when using the Flatten button on the Orders and Positions window. To do this enable Position >>Cancel Orders for Symbol When Flatten on the Orders and Positions window menu.
- Corrected a problem with the downloading of historical data when using the CTS FIX Trading service.
1243 Release Date: 2015-04-01
- Corrected a Volume by Price study scaling problem when using Constant Range scaling with the TPO Profile Chart study.
- The Study/Price Overlay study properly overlays Initial Balance and Daily OHLC during real-time chart updating now.
- Corrected a problem from a recent release where when Intraday data is exported to a text file and the times do not contain milliseconds, the outputted text format was incorrect. This is now resolved.
- Enhancements to the new File Open/Save window. The folder can now be changed when opening a Chartbook. It cannot be changed when opening a Historical or Intraday chart data file. Search capability will be added next.
- Low-level changes to IB market depth processing.
- Continued performance improvements with New Spreadsheets.
1242 Release Date: 2015-03-24
- Corrected a problem from a recent release where the Show Rollover Dates feature was not displaying the vertical lines at the rollover dates for Intraday charts.
- Working on underlying support for futures spreads from the Sierra Chart Exchange Data Feed.
- When using the data feed provided by the FXCM FIX Trading service, there is now the Global Settings >> Data/Trade Service Settings >> Use Data Feed 2 setting, which uses a different data feed with different Bid Ask spreads. So if the Bid Ask spreads do not match what your account should be providing, then set this option to True and reconnect to the data feed.
1241 Release Date: 2015-03-18
- Added a new combining option for Time and Type for the Time and Sales window.
- Corrected a problem that arose in a recent release where when using the TransAct trading service, orders that are externally entered from Sierra Chart would map into the same order in the order list. So not all orders would be visible in Sierra Chart and the single order would only indicate the most recently order received.
- Corrected a problem that arose in a recent release with back adjustment calculations for continuous futures contract charts when using the CTS T4 trading service.
- Corrected a problem where when the Volume by Price study is referencing prior periods, the most recent Volume Profile, would not be correct during chart updating.
1235 Release Date: 2015-02-26
- Fixed issue with the Volume by Price study when basing volume profiles on a number of bars and bars in the chart have the same timestamp.
- There is now only one CQG service which uses the FIX protocol for trading. The others have been removed. When Sierra Chart is set to use one of the CQG services, it will be automatically set to use CQG FIX Trading upon an update.
1234 Release Date: 2015-02-24
- Low-level improvements to the Study/Price Overlay study to better work with studies that are displaced and studies that recalculate at bars earlier than the last bar in the source chart, like the Zig Zag study.
- The Study/Price Overlay study and the Spreadsheet studies now properly output data from the study like the Zig Zag study that change at bars earlier than the last bar in the chart.
- The Volume Weighted Average Price (VWAP) study was split into two different studies. The original VWAP study no longer has the continuous non-resetting mode input, but maintains the recurring period based nature of the study. The new study is named Volume Weighted Average Price - Rolling (similar to the continuous non-resetting option in the original study). The new study allows rolling periods to be specified in minutes or days, and the day version will correctly roll across weekends.
- Corrected a problem with the Save As dialog for the Trade Activity Log.
- Added new Chart >> Chart Settings option named Include Saturday-Sunday Bars for Daily Charts which will include Saturday and Sunday bars when Include Columns with No Data is enabled.
1232 Release Date: 2015-02-14
- The change to calculate real-time volume for TD Ameritrade index symbols has been removed because it did not work properly. There are no plans to add this capability because it cannot work reliably with TD Ameritrade.
- Sierra Chart no longer uses a different symbol for Historical Daily charts when a Trading service does not provide historical Daily data. The symbol mapping is now handled at a lower level. When updating to this version, the symbols for historical charts will be changed to the standard symbol used by the particular Trading service you are using. New historical Daily data files will be created and downloaded.
*Last modified Friday, 21st July, 2017.