What Is New
Log of Changes and Improvements to Sierra Chart
This list contains major items of development, items which are notable, and changes and additions which users need to be informed about.
This is not a comprehensive changes and additions log. It only represents less than 25% of the actual development performed every day. There are not version notes for each version. The main Sierra-Chart documentation is updated as needed relating to the changes and additions.
In addition to the below listed items for each version, there are also various low-level improvements, issues resolved, and small additions that a release has which are not listed.
- Additional improvements with the Pivot Points studies.
- Volatility study added.
- Same As Region scale range type has been added to the Scale window.
- Out of order trade filter for the London stock exchange.
- Improvements with the Fan tool.
- Pressing the control-t keys will bring up the trendline color window. The common colors are displayed at the bottom and can be more easily selected. The individual Fibonacci retracement levels can be set to different colors. Go to Chart-Graphics Settings on the menu to set them.
- Trendline width can be adjusted separately.
- New pivot point study for intraday charts.
- a new function to filter errors in intraday charts.
- Can read more kinds of ASCII data.
- Missing data from historical charts is downloaded when the chart is opened and you are connected to data feed.
- Corrected a bug with the Independent type scaling.
- Can read ASCII intraday data.
- Improvements with the Difference study.
- Closing line study added.
- Text and Fan tools have been added.
- Elder Ray study added.
- Improvements with automatic scrolling when new bars are added to the chart to ensure the most current bar is always displayed.
- An automatic independent scale has been added. The overlay study now uses this new scale type to overlay prices with different scales.
- The adjust data function now works with intraday charts.
- A new study has been added to do currency conversions.
- Display As Main Price Graph Option: This option is in the Technical Study Settings window for a study on the chart. When this option is on, then the study will be displayed as the main price graph in the chart. It will replace the underlying price bars the study is based on and it will become the underlying data for any studies on the chart. For example if you set this option on the Difference study, then any of the other studies can be applied directly to that study. This option can also be used on the Spreadsheet Study. You can use a custom formula in the Spreadsheet Study that uses data from multiple charts. Like your own custom spread formula. You can then apply any of the standard studies available to that spread chart. This option is also very useful to create currency cross rates by using it with the Ratio study and two currency charts. Using this feature with the Spreadsheet Study can be a very useful feature and will let you do many things with Sierra Chart.
- The scanning feature scans only the charts in the active chartbook. All studies, systems and alerts on the scanned charts include the latest trade.
- The program now downloads missing intraday chart data for option charts.
- Improvements and important changes with the Spreadsheet Study feature.
- The last price for a symbol is shown in reverse colors in the price scale area of the chart.
- Using the control-e key will set all charts in a chartbook to the same symbol (see Keyboard Commands in the on-line help for details)
- Triangular Moving Average, Force Index, kurtosis, linear Regressive Slope.
- Overlay study has been added. This study overlays a price graph from another chart on a chart.
- Improvements with the Spreadsheet Study feature. Instructions for the Spreadsheet Study feature are now on the web site.
- The program supports historical chart data directly from the myTrack server instead of the Dial Data service. This simplifies access to historical chart data.
- Simplified opening of new historical and intraday charts.
- Excel support for the Spreadsheet study.
- When downloading intraday chart data, the message log only opens when retrieving more than two days of data.
- Can download historical data from myTrack even if the AIQ trading expert feature is used.
- Corrected a bug with printing.
- The Spreadsheet Study has been added. This study outputs chart data to a Spreadsheet and graphs data from the Spreadsheet to create your own studies.
- Corrected a bug with the scanning feature.
- And and Or operators can be used in condition expressions.
- Improved chart calculator tool.
- Bid ask average line works on all chart types.
- If historical charts are more than 1 day old, then a download will be done before the set download time.
- Version numbers are whole numbers now. It will be incremented by one with new versions. The download file will be named SierraChartSetup.
- The date for Sunday and holiday intraday chart data is automatically corrected to the date the trading is actually occurring on.
- Fibonacci retracement levels can be set in the General settings window.
- Intraday charts can handle new decimal format for stocks.
- Bid and ask displayed in the chart values window. Bid and ask average can be drawn on a chart.
- Can use default chart settings for new charts.
- The latest chart values and price are shown in the chart values window.
- Automatic repair of intraday files.
- The time scale adjustment is now a global setting. It is set in the General Settings window.
- A feature to call external functions for custom studies.
- Horizontal line tool.
- The open interest value in intraday charts shows the number of trades per bar.
- Mountain charts.
- New study that graphs the sum of all charts in a chart book.
- You can set the number of days to load into a chart.
- Works with a new database from the data feed for improved intraday charting. Can use separate colors for point and figure bars. Studies that use two or more charts in their formula no longer need the Include columns with no data option in Chart Settings window because the charts are synchronized. More studies and tools are to be released in the near future.
- Bar spacing is now shown on the chart window. Can track new intraday charts without reconnecting to the data service.
- Reporting of extended hours trading.
- Easier adding of chart symbols.
- Automatic downloading of data for newly added symbols.
- Scrolling past the right side of a chart will fill in right side with space that is automatically filled as new bars are added.
- Spreadsheet window position and size is now saved with the Spreadsheet file.
- A function has been added to the intraday data editor that lets you delete data from any position in an intraday file to the end. This is very useful for deleting data after missing data that causes gaps or for deleting blocks of data with errors. When you connect the data feed again, the deleted data will be replaced with new data from the server.
- New studies: Trade Volume Index. Directional Movement Index. Directional Movement Oscillator. STIX. 3 chart spread.
- Fibonacci support and resistance tool!
- A beep is sounded when a study alert condition becomes true.
- Higher resolution chart printing.
- Rate of Change study can be used on volume.
- Faster updating of intraday charts.
- Can adjust the time scale on intraday charts to your local time. This is useful if you live in Europe.
- Intraday charts now use the date from the data feed and are not affected by incorrect date settings on your computer.
- If symbols are prefixed with a / on a Spreadsheet, then the Net Change can be colored by setting a colored number format for the cells.
- The historical download retry time has been set to 5 seconds from 60 seconds.
- Up to 100 symbols per Spreadsheet.
- Improved price scale display with fractions.
- Study alerts and scanning!
- Can select a study collection name in the study window without losing changes to settings for the studies on chart.
- Many improvements with point and figure charts. Can graph trade volume for point and figure charts.
*Last modified Friday, 02nd March, 2018.