What Is New
Log of Changes and Improvements to Sierra Chart
This list contains major items of development, items which are notable, and changes and additions which users need to be informed about.
This is not a comprehensive changes and additions log. It only represents less than 25% of the actual development performed every day. There are not version notes for each version. The main Sierra-Chart documentation is updated as needed relating to the changes and additions.
In addition to the below listed items for each version, there are also various low-level improvements, issues resolved, and small additions that a release has which are not listed.
- Added Reset Scale to the Chart menu.
- Internal changes to scaling.
- Updated the Horizontal Line study.
- The Start TRANSACT command on the Trade menu now functions correctly. However, the latest TransAct software is required to support this.
- Added support for the TransAct trading and data platform.
- Improvements to interactive scaling on automatic scaling. Padding can also be added on graphs with User Defined Scaling now. Double clicking the price scale area resets padding to zero.
- Fixed problem with incorrect scaling on charts.
- Fixed value labels on subgraphs to not draw outside of the price scale region.
- Fixed drawing of the main price box so that it draws on top of other price labels, and does not go outside of the price scale region.
- Fixed Snap to High/Low function.
- Fixed Copy and Move Line/Text.
- Corrected a problem with the IB automatic login feature due to changes IB has made to their TWS software.
- Added arrow trendlines.
- Added auto-coloring for study subgraphs. This automatically uses the primary and secondary colors to color the subgraph based upon the slope.
- Added a Graphical Displacement setting to studies. This setting can be accessed at the bottom of the Subgraphs tab in the Technical Study Settings window. This supports negative displacement.
- Added GraphicalDisplacement member to the s_sc struct for DLL studies.
- Renamed GetCorrespondingIndex to GetNearestMatchingDateTimeIndex in the s_sg struct for custom DLL studies. Previously using a negative ChartNumber would not cause synchronization between the two charts. This has been changed so that now a negative number WILL cause synchronization and a positive ChartNumber will not.
- Added the functions GetNearestDateTimeIndex, GetNearestCOleDateTimeIndex, GetIndexForMatchingDateTime, GetIndexForDateTime, and GetIndexForCOleDateTime to the s_sg struct for custom DLL studies.
- Updated the Volume study to use only one subgraph instead of two.
- New Subgraph settings tab in the Technical Study Settings window.
- Minimum line width for study subgraphs is now 0 instead of 1.
- Light colors are no longer inverted for printing if the background color of the chart is also a light color.
- The Trade Window has been redesigned and now occupies less space.
- When using Extending Trendlines, the point of convergence is more accurate.
- Expanded the number of Alert Sounds supported. Sierra Chart now supports up to 16 Alert Sounds.
- Corrected a problem with the Fibonacci tool which caused the horizontal lines not to be displayed all the time.
- Added an option to display Fractions in a Short format. Select Global Settings >> General Settings to set this.
- Corrected a problem where the parabolic study would continuously display a profit or loss message.
- Added NumFillSpaceBars and PreserveFillSpace members to the s_sg struct for custom DLL studies.
- Added studies: Time and Sales Bid&Ask, Time and Sales BidSize, Time and Sales AskSize.
- When replaying multiple charts, there is rock-solid synchronization between charts.
- A Woodies Indicators option has been added to the setup program.
- New interface for study inputs in the Technical Study Settings window.
- The InputType for Inputs 3-32 is now defaulted to FLOAT_VALUE for custom DLL studies.
- Added the input value type MOVAVGTYPE_VALUE.
- Added TextInputName to the s_sg struct for custom DLL studies.
- Added RangeBarValue and RangeBarType to the s_sg struct for custom DLL studies.
- Added the Fill Top and Fill Bottom subgraph styles. To use these styles, you must first have a chart with at least two subgraphs. Set the draw style of one of the subgraphs to Fill Top, and another to Fill Bottom. In order for this style to show up, the subgraph with the Fill Top draw style must have values greater than the subgraph with the Fill Bottom draw style. The color of the subgraph with the Fill Top draw style will be used as the fill color.
- Added the ability for DLLs to use SUBGRAPHINDEX_VALUE and YESNO_VALUE input value types.
- Added a Fibonacci option to color lines the same as the trendline color. This can be found in Global Settings >> Tool Settings.
- Added the ability for DLLs to set text to display after the last bar by using a Date of -1 or -2 with the UseToolEx function. See Using Tools From an Advanced Custom Study for details.
- Increased the number of available inputs to 32.
- Increased the number of displayable subgraphs to 9.
- Added the Line Style setting for subgraphs.
- Added a Line Width setting for subgraphs to replace the previous Draw Width setting and allow individual subgraphs to have independent draw widths.
- Added a Caption setting for subgraphs. The caption can show the name and/or last drawn value of the subgraph.
- Required changes for DLL studies:
- ExtraSubgraphNames has been removed. Use Subgraph.Name.
- SubGraphDataColor has been removed. Use Subgraph.DataColor.
- SubgraphSecondaryColor has been removed. Use Subgraph.SecondaryColor.
- SubgraphSecondaryColorUsed has been removed. Use Subgraph.SecondaryColorUsed.
- Recommended for new DLL studies:
- SubGraphDataOut has been deprecated. Use Subgraph.Data.
- SubgraphName has been deprecated. Use Subgraph.Name.
- SubgraphColor has been deprecated. Use Subgraph.PrimaryColor.
- SubgraphStyle has been deprecated. Use Subgraph.DrawStyle.
- InputNames has been deprecated. Use Input.Name.
- Inputs has been deprecated. Use Input.IndexValue or Input.FloatValue depending on the Input.ValueType.
- Other minor DLL study changes:
- The size of TextInput has been increased to 256 bytes.
- The size of StorageBlock has been increased to 512 bytes.
- Added DailyHigh and DailyLow to the s_sg struct for DLL studies.
- For more details on the new members of the s_sg struct used in DLL studies, see the Advanced Custom Study Interface and Language page.
- Slight adjustment to PrintColor.
- Sierra Chart now graphs the difference between the Bid and Ask for the following IB symbols: AD-NYSE, VOL-NASD, VOL-NYSE, and AD-NASD.
- Sierra Chart graphs the average of the Bid and Ask for the following IB symbols: AD-NYSE, VOL-NASD, VOL-NYSE, and AD-NASD.
- Invalid IB volume data is filtered.
- Vertical Line can now be used with UseTool in custom DLL studies.
- More draw styles have been added for study subgraphs.
- Colors are darkened when printing.
- Improvements to the Trade Positions Window.
- New Trade Settings window has been added.
- Spreadsheet studies can use subgraphs 5 and 6.
- Added a Vertical Line tool.
- The Square of Nine study has an added setting called Auto Adjust which adjusts the levels of the lines to better fit the values in the chart.
- Added a setting for hiding the title bars on charts to conserve screen space. You can find this setting in Global Settings >> General Settings: Show Title Bars on Charts.
- Fixed a bug related to having a displacement on the Standard Deviation Bands study.
- Added support for secondary colors on study graphs for studies that support secondary colors.
- DLL Studies: You can now specify a specific color for any element in the graph using the SubGraphDataColor member of the s_sg struct similar to SubGraphDataOut. The AllocateColorArray function must be called before using SubGraphDataColor.
- DLL Studies: You can make use of secondary colors for graphs by setting SubgraphSecondaryColorUsed at the index of the graph to 1. You can get the secondary color similar to to the primary color by using SubgraphSecondaryColor.
- The file studies.cpp contains two new DLL study examples called SimpMovAvgColored and ColoredPriceGraph that demonstrate usage of the new color related functionality.
- Up to 6 subgraphs can now be used for studies.
- The Study/Price Overlay study with Synchronization enabled has been improved.
- You can now specify in Chart Settings a number of days per bar for an Intraday chart.
- The position in the graph remains the same when changing the bar period or chart symbol, except for when the graph is scrolled all the way to the end.
- The print layout, such as landscape or portrait is now preserved across sessions.
- Extending trendlines can be cut by right clicking on the line at the location that you want to cut it at and using the Cut Extending Trendline Here option on the shortcut menu.
- The Study/Price Overlay study now has a Synchronize option to synchronize a study or price graph from one chart to the corresponding times on the chart the study is applied to.
- The More Windows... menu option has been replaced with a new window for selecting chartbooks and windows. This can be found under the Window menu called Windows and Chartbooks.
- Colors for the lines above and below the main line for tools Linear Regression and Pitchfork are now set to a lighter intensity of the color used for the main line.
- The Constant Range value is now displayed at the top of the price scale region when using the interactive scaling.
- For IB CASH symbols, the average of the bid and ask is charted instead of the individual bid/ask values.
- Corrected a problem where the previous tool was not re-selected when using a tool command such as Adjust Line or Move Line.
- Right clicking on lines or text provides a context menu for actions to perform on that line or text.
- When using a tool command such as Erase Line/Text or Adjust Line, lines and text can now be selected by simply clicking on them with your pointer.
- Made changes with downloading of IB backfill data.
- Improved the Range Bar Charts feature. There are two types supported. If the Range Bar type 2 option in Chart Settings is enabled, then a new bar is created when the range has met your setting whether or not trading continues within the range. Otherwise, a new bar is only formed when trading moves beyond your specified range.
- Added the Dr. Andrew's Pitchfork tool (median line tool). This tool can be found under the Tools menu. To use this tool, simply select 3 points by clicking on the chart. The first point represents the starting point of the extending trend line. This trend line is drawn between the 2nd and 3rd points. Parallel lines are drawn above and below the median line starting at the second and third points.
- Note: To get the desired effect, point 1 should be left of points 2 and 3. Otherwise, Sierra Chart will correct this error and will not allow you to draw a pitchfork in the negative x direction.
- Updated the Constant Range Scaling feature. If Auto-Centering is off, the chart will only auto-center when you scroll the chart, select Chart >> Reload and Recalculate, or press the END key on your Keyboard.
- Fixed the problem with Interactive scaling.
- Added the Intraday Range Bar Chart type. This setting can be found in Chart Settings. You can also type a value into the chart followed by the letter r and ENTER to quickly switch to an Intraday Range Bar chart.
- We also added an option to cut a tick, volume, or range bar at midnight. This option can be found in Chart Settings.
- Added the function "GetStudyArrayFromChart" for custom DLL studies. For more information see Creating Custom DLL Studies
- Added new menu "Global Settings". All global settings windows are listed here. Existing settings windows can still be accessed from their respective menus.
- In General Settings we have added the option to disable the Save All prompt when exiting from Sierra Chart. We have also added options to open a specified chartbook and Spreadsheet window on startup.
- Tool Settings now exist in the Tool Settings window under Global Settings.
- When Constant Range scaling is enabled for the main price graph, there is a interactive scale feature. You can now click and drag your mouse up and down in the scale region on the right side of the chart to invoke scale changes. See the instructional videos page for an in depth look at this feature.
- A new trading interface has been added.
- Added "Linear Regression End Channel" to the studies list. This study calculates the linear regression on the fly for the most recent bars. It also calculates and displays the standard deviation lines. You can set the number of bars to calculate and the number of deviations.
- Added "Study Overlay" to the studies list. This study allows you to overlay a study from one chart onto another. The charts can have different time periods.
- Corrected a problem with the Future Display feature for Spreadsheets due to changes MyTrack has made to future symbols.
- Added a moving average type input to the Standard Deviation Bands study. This lets you select a moving linear regression line, with standard deviation bands above and below this line. Existing charts and Study Collections that have this study will default to an exponential Moving Average. Change the Moving Average Type input to 2 to use a Simple Moving Average.
- Added a study named "Overlay (Non-Sync)". This study lets you overlay a price graph from a chart with a different period per bar.
- Added a 128 byte permanent storage block for Custom DLL studies. This data block is only saved to disk if the study is saved as part of a study collection or the chart is saved.
- Added Constant Range Scaling. This option is available in the Scale Window for charts and studies. For example, select fChart >> Chart Settings on the menu and press the Scale button.
- To re-center the chart, press the "End" or "Insert" key on your keyboard.
- Added the Linear Regression tool with Raff Channels. You can find this by selecting Tools >> Linear Regression. The Linear Regression works like the standard Trendline tool. Just draw the line and Sierra Chart will auto-fit the line as a regression line. It will also solve the Raff Channels and apply them to the chart.
*Last modified Friday, 02nd March, 2018.