How to Use an Advanced Custom Study or a Study Collection
- How to Use an Advanced Custom Study Provided To You
- How to Use a Study Collection
- Advanced Custom Study Errors
- How to Build an Advanced Custom Study from Source Code (.CPP file)
How to Use an Advanced Custom Study Provided To You
To use an Advanced Custom Study developed for Sierra Chart, follow the instructions below. These instructions also include how to save and use Study Collection and Chartbook files you may have been provided as well.
If you have been provided a custom studies/indicators source code file with a CPP file extension, then instead refer to the How to Build an Advanced Custom Study from Source Code (.CPP file) documentation for instructions instead of the instructions below.
- If Sierra Chart is running in Safe Mode, custom studies cannot be used. For more information and to disable Safe Mode, refer to Safe Mode.
- Advanced Custom Studies are contained in DLL files (they have a .DLL file extension). If you have not already done so, you need to save the Advanced Custom Studies files, Study Collection files (.StdyCollct extension), and Chartbook Files (.Cht extension) you have been provided to your Sierra Chart Data Files Folder.
The location of your Data Files Folder can be found by selecting Global Settings >> General Settings on the menu. The folder is displayed in the Data Files Folder box. This is usually C:\SierraChart\Data. Refer to the image below. Make a note of this.
The Advanced Custom Studies files you have been provided have a .DLL extension. Study Collection files have a .StdyCollct extension and Chartbook files have a .Cht extension.
Save all of the files you have been provided to your Data Files Folder which you have made a note of above. The method to save the files just follows standard procedures for working with files.
The files may be in a compressed file, such as a Zip file. In this case you will need to first extract the contents of that file and then save the extracted files in the Data Files Folder.
Many user contributed Advanced Custom Studies are already included with Sierra Chart and you do not need to download the DLL files from the Support Board. Using them is explained in the steps below.
- To use an Advanced Custom Study select Analysis >> Studies on the menu.
- Press the Add Custom Study button. Refer to the image below.
- Locate in the list the name of the Advanced Custom Studies file you wish to use and press the plus sign "+" beside it.
- Select in the displayed list the study you want to use, and press the Add button.
- In the case of User Contributed Studies, these are located in the User Contributed Studies list in the Add Study window. We try to keep that list up to date with studies that have been contributed by users if the source code is available from them.
- Press the Settings button to adjust the settings for the study as required.
- Press OK .
- If you were provided Study Collection files (.StdyCollct extension), you can select them directly from the Analysis menu. For more information, refer to Study Collections.
- If you were provided Chartbook files (.Cht extension), you can open them through File >> Open Chartbook. For more information, refer to Study Collections.
How to Use a Study Collection
A study collection is a saved set of studies and their settings that can be applied to the chart with one easy step.
- A Study Collection file you want to use from the Sierra Chart Support Board, on the Additional Files page, or from other sources, will need to be saved to your Sierra Chart Data Files Folder.
Study Collection files have a .stdycollct extension.
- The location of your Sierra Chart Data Files Folder can be found by selecting Global Settings >> General Settings on the menu in Sierra Chart. The folder is shown in the Data Files Folder box. This is usually C:\SierraChart\Data. Refer to the image below.
- Save the Study Collection you want to use to your Sierra Chart Data Files Folder. Save any other files that are provided with it and associated with it, to this same folder.
- To apply the Study Collection, select it directly from the Analysis menu. You will see it directly on the Analysis menu and you can select it directly from there. You will also see other Study Collections listed on the menu. Refer to the image below.
- If you wish to understand or modify the settings of the studies in the study collection, refer to the Modifying Studies section.
- Optional: Refer to the Study Collections section for more information about Study Collections.
- Optional: If any of the studies in the study collection have a Simple Alert Condition formula defined on them, refer to the Alert Conditions and Scanning page to learn about Simple Alerts if you wish to make changes and to understand the formulas used.
Advanced Custom Study Errors
Error Loading Custom Studies DLL
The DLL (dynamic link library) file that contains the Advanced Custom Study or Studies that you are using could not be found or loaded. There are two possible reasons for this error message.
DLL File Could Not Be Found
You will need to obtain the specified DLL file and save it to your Sierra Chart Data Files Folder. Refer to Step #1 above for instructions.
When you save the DLL file to the Sierra Chart Data Files Folder, make certain it has a DLL file extension. Software which blocks malicious software such as antivirus software, can also potentially block the use of a downloaded DLL file and this can also cause this same error message.
DLL File Could Not Be Loaded Because of Missing Dependency File
In the second case, the problem is that the DLL file is present but it cannot be loaded because it depends upon another file which is not installed on the computer system. The general reason why this occurs is when it links to external libraries which exist in other DLLs. Commonly this occurs when using Visual C++ and the Runtime libraries are not statically linked.
In this particular case you will need to contact the developer of the DLL for help with this. They will need to statically link with the Runtime libraries. This is documented in the Visual C++ >> Configuring Project Properties section.
If you are unable to resolve this error, you will need to remove the Advanced Custom Study/Studies from your chart or charts to prevent the error from appearing again.
To do this, go to one of your charts, select Analysis >> Studies to view the Chart Studies window.
In the Studies to Graph section, select Custom DLL Study (see image below) and press Remove to remove the study.
Remove all of the Custom DLL Study studies from the list and press OK to save the settings.
You will need to do this for each chart that has a Custom DLL Study study which is causing the error.
Custom Study Function Not Found
This error means a study function has not been found in the CustomStudies DLL file. This could be because you are using an older version of a Study Collection file that does not have the updated function name or the function no longer exists in the DLL file.
What you will need to do in this case is first Remove the study or studies from your chart that is causing this error. This is done through Analysis >> Studies. The study to remove has the name Custom DLL Study. After this Add the study or studies again by following the steps in How to Use an Advanced Custom Study section (Analysis >> Studies >> Add Custom Study).
If you are unable to resolve this error, you will need to remove the Advanced Custom Study or Studies from your chart or charts to prevent the error from appearing again. To do this, go to one of your charts, select Analysis >> Studies to view the Chart Studies window.
In the Studies to Graph section, select Custom DLL Study and press Remove to remove the study. Remove all of the Custom DLL Study studies from the list and press OK to save the settings. You will need to do this for each chart that has a Custom DLL Study study which is causing the error.
*Last modified Monday, 27th November, 2017.