Technical Studies Reference
Text Display For Study | Text Display For Study from Chart
The Text Display for Study, is a study which is designed to give you a large text display of the value at the last bar in the chart of the selected Subgraph of the selected Study on any chart in the Chartbook.
The study Subgraph can also be from the same chart that this study is applied to. You can position this value text display anywhere on the chart. Use the Study And Subgraph To Display Input to select which study Subgraph on a chart to display as large text.
Once you have the value of a study Subgraph for the last bar displayed, as text on the chart, you may not want to view the original study any longer. To do this go into the Study Settings window for the study and enable Hide Study.
Setting the Text Font Size
To set the font size of the text, open the Study Settings window for this study. For instructions, refer to the Adding/Modifying Studies section.
Select the Subgraphs tab. Adjust the Width/Size setting for the Text Display Subgraph.
- Horizontal Position From Left: This Input specifies the relative position from the left side of the chart that the study value text will appear at. The value can be from 1 to 150.
- Vertical Position From Bottom: This Input specifies the relative position from the bottom of the Chart Region that the study value text will appear at. The value can be from 1 to 100. 1 is at the bottom of the region and 100 as at the top of the region.
- Study And Subgraph To Display: This Input provides 3 list boxes allowing you to select a specific Chart, Study and the study Subgraph that you want to display the last value of as a large text display. If you do not see the particular study you want to select listed and it is on the same chart and in the list of Studies to Graph in the Chart Studies window, then you need to first Apply the studies to the chart before you can select them if they were not applied to the chart before.
In the case of the Text Display For Study the selection of the chart is not supported. This is only supported with the Text Display For Study from Chart study.
- Subgraph Columns Back: The default value for this Input is 0. It specifies from the last column/bar in the chart, how many columns/bars back to get the value from the study Subgraph to display. For example if this is 1, then the second to last value in the study Subgraph being referenced, will be displayed by this study as text.
This can also be set to a negative value to reference study Subgraph values after the last column/bar in the chart. This would be for studies that draw past the last bar in the chart.
- Prefix Text for Displayed Value: You are able to specify text that the displayed value will be prefixed with. This Input allows you to specify the text. This allows you to label the displayed value so you know exactly what it is when looking at it on the chart. The final output will be: [Prefix Text]: [value].
Displaying Average True Range Value on Main Price Graph
The following directions give an example of how to uses the Text Display for Study study in order to display the current value of the Average True Range study without displaying the Average True Range study itself on the chart.
- Open the Studies window and add the Average True Range to the list of studies to graph. For information on how to add studies, refer to Adding/Modifying Chart Studies.
- Select the Settings button to open the settings for the Average True Range study.
- Select the checkbox next to Hide Study to hide this study and not have it displayed on the Chart.
- Modify the settings for the Average True Range study as desired. For more information on the Inputs for this study, refer to Average True Range.
- Select OK to close the settings window for the Average True Range study.
- Add the Text Display for Study study to the list of studies to graph.
- Select the Settings button to open the settings for the Text Display for Study study.
- Select the Study and Subgraph to Display Input and set the Study to the Average True Range and the Subgraph to ATR (SG1).
- Set the other Inputs for this study as desired.
- Select OK to close the Settings window for the Text Display for Study study.
- Select OK to close the Studies window and have the Average True Range displayed in the Main Price Graph.
Displaying Text Based on Alert Condition
The following directions give an example of how to use the Text Display for Study in combination with the Color Bar Based on Alert Condition study in order to conditionally display text on a chart.
In this particular case, the ADX study is also used as the basis for the test condition. Other studies can be used, as this is just for example purposes.
- Open the Studies window and add the ADX, Text Display for Study, and Color Bar Based on Alert Condition studies to the chart. Ensure that the order of the studies in the Studies to Graph area is in the following order from top to bottom:
- Color Bar Based on Alert Condition
- Text Display for Study
- If desired, set the ADX study to Hidden by selecting the ADX study in the Studies to Graph area and then selecting the Hide button.
- Hide the Color Bar Based on Alert Condition study by selecting the the Color Bar Based on Alert Condition study in the Studies to Graph area and then selecting the Hide button.
- Open the Settings window for the Color Bar Based on Alert Condition study by selecting the study from the list in the Studies to Graph area, then selecting the Settings button.
- Select the Alerts tab and enter a formula similar to =ID1.SG1 > 28. Note that the specific ID of the ADX study is to be used if it is not the very first study in the Studies List.
- Select the Settings and Inputs tab and adjust the Settings as desired, leaving the Output When Condition True as 1.0. Select OK to close the Settings window for this study.
- Open the Settings window for the Text Display for Study study.
- Set the Settings as desired, setting the following to these specific values:
- Study and Subgraph to Display: Set to the Color Bar Based on Alert Condition study and the Color Bar Subgraph.
- Use Text for Non-Zero Value: Set this value to Yes.
- Non-Zero Value Text: Enter the text to display when the Color Bar Based on Alert Condition becomes true. For example, enter the following ADX is True.
- Select OK to close the Settings window.
- Select OK to close the Studies window, if necessary.
*Last modified Monday, 08th October, 2018.