Technical Studies Reference
Overlay (Bar or Single Line)
This study overlays the main price graph from another already open source chart on to the chart this study is applied to (destination chart). If the chart you want to overlay is not already open, it can be opened through File >> Find Symbol.
Multiple Overlay studies can be added to a chart to overlay more than one main price graph on to a destination chart. This study allows you to view multiple symbols in one single chart.
Scaling: By default, the Scale Range is set to Independent for this study. This allows the Overlay to be visible when overlaying on a graph with a completely different price range.
If you are overlaying a graph on a chart with similar prices, the overlaid bars or line will not match the scale of the graph it is overlaid on. To make the graph line match, set the Scale for this study to Automatic. Refer to the Chart Scale and Scale Adjusting documentation for complete instructions for changing the scale.
The graph can be either a Bar or a Single Line. If you use the Bar version, the actual style is controlled with the study's Graph Draw Type setting in the Study Settings window for the study.
Scale Values: When overlaying a graph on another graph in the same Chart Region with differing values, you will need to use an Independent scale. You may also want to see the Values Scale numbers for the graph being overlaid. You are able to view these on the left side of the chart. To do this, select Chart >> Chart Settings >> Advanced Settings. Enable the Use Left Side Scale option.
- For this study you will need 2 charts. Make sure you have open the chart that you wish to overlay on another chart. You can open it with File >> Find Symbol if it is not already open.
- Open or go to the chart that you want to overlay the main price graph of another chart on. This must be in the same chartbook as the chart you will be overlaying from.
- Add the Overlay (Bar or Single Line) study through Analysis >> Studies.
- After adding the Overlay study, press the Settings button on the Chart Studies window to open the Study Settings window for the study if it is not already open.
- Select the Settings and Inputs tab.
- Set the Chart Number to Overlay Input to the chart that you wish to overlay. All of the open charts in the same chartbook will be listed. The main price graph of the chart will be overlaid onto the chart that this study is applied to.
- Set the Chart Region to the chart region you wish to display the main price graph overlay in. If you want to overlay it over the main price graph of the chart, set this to 1. If you want to display it below the main price graph, then set the Chart Region to 2.
- If you are using the Overlay (Bar) study, then select the Subgraphs tab. Set the Graph Draw Type to the type of price bar that you require.
- Chart Number to Overlay: This is the primary Input for the study. This Input selects the particular chart that you want to overlay the main price graph from. The chart you are overlaying must be open. All open charts within the same Chartbook as the chart you are using this study on, will be listed.
- Input Data. This Input sets what data array to overlay. This Input is only available with the Overlay (Single Line) study.
*Last modified Friday, 29th September, 2017.