Rithmic Trading Platform Service
- What is Included
- Setup Instructions
- Historical Tick by Tick Data Instructions
- Using Stock Symbols
- Exchange Traded Spreads/Strategies
- Permission Denied Resolution Procedure
- Instructions to Provide Rithmic Log File to Support
Sierra Chart fully supports the Rithmic trading platform service. Rithmic provides low latency trading and market data. With this trading and data service you have access to real-time data, historical data and trading in the futures, stock and currency markets from many exchanges around the world. The Sierra Chart trading features fully support the Rithmic trading platform service. You are able to enter simple and advanced orders from the charts, ChartDOM, Trading DOM and Trade Window all within Sierra Chart.
Rithmic is an excellent backend trading platform service providing tick by tick data and reliable trading services.
For long-term Historical Daily chart data, the Sierra Chart Historical Daily Data Service is used.
Sierra Chart is the platform of choice for Rithmic. We provide stable, fast and high-performance software for the data feed and trading functionality.
The Rithmic trading platform service can only be used on Windows 7 and higher. Windows XP and Vista are not supported. It is also not recommended to use any other operating system other than Windows.
What is Included
- Streaming Real-Time Data: Yes.
- Historical Intraday Data: Yes. Specific availability: Historical tick by tick data provided for Optimus Futures customers regardless of service package. For service package 3 users, 1 Second historical Intraday data is provided. For service package 5 users, tick by tick historical Intraday data is provided.
- Historical Daily Data: Provided through the Sierra Chart Historical Daily Data service.
- Historical BidVolume and AskVolume: Yes. For the major futures contracts.
- Market Depth Data: Yes.
- Live Trading Services: Yes.
- Simulated Trading: Yes.
- Order Types Supported: All.
- Server Managed OCO (Order Cancels Order): Yes.
- Server Managed Bracket Orders: No. However, once parent order fills, OCO bracket is server managed.
- Automated Trading (applies to Live or Simulated): Yes.
- To use the Rithmic trading platform service, you need to have an account with a broker/trading service or clearing firm supporting the Rithmic trading platform service. Check with your current broker/trading service to see if they support Rithmic.
- Your broker will provide you with the necessary Rithmic connection information. You will need that from them before you can proceed. This consists of a Username and a Password for your Rithmic account.
- Go to Sierra Chart. Select Global Settings >> Data/Trade Service Settings on the menu.
Click on the Service list box at the top of the window. Select the Rithmic Trading service name from the list.
- Step removed.
- In the Service Setting >> Server list, you will need to select the server that your broker has specified for you to use.
Normally this will be Rithmic 01 - US for a Live account.
For a demo or simulation account, it normally is Paper Trading Server.
In the case if you are with Topstep Trader you need to select Rithmic Topstep Trader or Rithmic Topstep Trader - Europe
If you are unsure what to select, then select Rithmic 01 - US.
- In the Service Setting >> Username box, enter your Rithmic Trading account username. This is case sensitive! Make certain you enter it exactly as provided by your broker.
- In the Service Setting >> Password box, enter your Rithmic Trading account password. This is case sensitive! Make certain you enter it exactly as provided by your broker.
- Set the Maximum Number of Historical Intraday Days to Download to what you require. Generally this should be set to 186.
- Enable the Connect On Program Startup option.
- Enable the Reconnect on failure option.
- Set the Time Zone setting to the time zone that you want times displayed in.
- Set the Intraday Data Storage Time Unit to what you require.
- Press OK to close the Data/Trade Service Settings window.
- To connect to the data and trading servers, select File >> Connect to Data Feed on the menu.
- If the Message Log (Window >> Show/Hide Message Log) window opens and displays messages indicating there was an error connecting to Rithmic, then select File >> Disconnect to prevent further connection attempts. If the Message Log is offscreen, it can be brought onscreen with Window >> Reset Windows.
Next, carefully review the setup steps above again. Try connecting to the data and trading servers again by selecting File >> Connect to Data Feed on the menu. If there still is an error connecting, then review the information below and finally help topic 1.5.
- Below are common connection error messages and descriptions. The messages below are short subtext portion of messages which are direct from the Rithmic system and are displayed in the Sierra Chart Message Log.
- OS Error : There can be many reasons for this error. They are listed below.
- This error can mean a firewall is blocking the connection. For more help on this, refer to help topic 1.2.
- One of the following files is missing from the \Rim folder in the Sierra Chart installation folder:
This is an unlikely problem but the solution to this is to install Sierra Chart again by selecting Help >> Download Prerelease. For complete instructions, refer to Fast Update.
- The remaining reasons for this error only Rithmic support can assist with. Basically it indicates some kind of problem that the Rithmic software had when initializing itself which relates to the computer operating system. Understand that the connection to Rithmic uses what is known as an API component. It is not a direct connection which Sierra Chart uses for almost all of the other supported Data and Trading services.
Have your broker/trading service put you in contact with Rithmic support and provide Rithmic the Rithmic log file. The path to this file is usually: C:\SierraChart\Rim\Rithmic.log.000
- OS Error : There can be many reasons for this error. They are listed below.
Locate the symbol in the lists and press the appropriate button. If you do not see listed the symbol that you need to use, contact Sierra Chart Support so that we can add it for you.
However, if the symbol you need is not listed, then you can look up the symbol in the Rithmic R|Trader software. Once you have the symbol, manually type it into the Selected Symbol box on the Find Symbol window. The general format is: [symbol]-[exchange].
If you do not see any symbols listed in the Find Symbol window, then select Global Settings >> Symbol Settings >> Update From Server. Wait for the symbol list to update and then press OK.
Historical Tick by Tick Data Instructions
When using the Rithmic trading platform service, historical tick by tick data is provided through a combination of the Sierra Chart Historical Data Service and the Rithmic system itself. All historical data is provided by the Sierra Chart Historical Data Service other than the most recent 10-15 minutes which comes from the Rithmic system.
Follow these instructions to configure Sierra Chart to download historical tick by tick data when using the Rithmic trading platform service.
- You need to subscribe to Sierra Chart Service Package 5. If you are not on this package, change your Service Package.
- Update to Sierra Chart version 1209 or higher by selecting Help >> Download Prerelease.
- Follow the instructions on the Tick by Tick Data Configuration page.
- To ensure complete tick by tick data in the chart data file, go to the chart and select Edit >> Delete All Data and Download.
Using Stock Symbols
The Rithmic trading platform service supports stock trading. Therefore, you can use can chart and trade stocks. To open a chart or trading DOM for a stock, select File >> Find Symbol on the menu. In the Selected Symbol box, enter the symbol following this format: [stock symbol]-[exchange]. The primary exchange is BATS.
Stock and other symbols can be permanently added through Global Settings >> Symbol Settings.
Exchange Traded Spreads/Strategies
The Rithmic trading platform service supports exchange traded spreads and strategies. Follow these steps to open an Intraday chart or Trade DOM for an exchange traded spread or strategy.
Historical Daily charts are not supported when using Rithmic for exchange traded spread or strategy symbols.
- The first step is to find the exchange traded spread or strategy symbol. The best place to determine these is through the Symbol lookup feature in the Rithmic R|Trader trading software. Starting, using and looking up symbols in the R|Trader software is not within the scope of these instructions.
- In Sierra Chart select File >> Find Symbol on the menu.
- In the Selected Symbol box, enter the exchange traded spread or strategy symbol following this format: [spread symbol]-[exchange]. Example: NGH3-NGZ3-NYMEX.
- Press either Open Intraday Chart or Open Trading DOM.
Messages like these from the Rithmic system indicate you are not authorized for the particular exchanges you want to get market data from. Contact your broker/trading service about this and let them know what symbols you want to trade.
The Rithmic system may not provide historical Intraday data for futures option symbols. For historical Daily data for futures option symbols, use the symbols documented on the Sierra Chart Historical Data Service Futures Symbols page.
Permission Denied Resolution Procedure
The error that the Rithmic software, which is used to connect to the Rithmic system, gives when there is a connection problem to the Rithmic system is the "Permission Denied" error.
Below is an example of this from the Window >> Message Log:
This "permission denied" error is not within the control of Sierra Chart. This error message is most commonly encountered by new Rithmic users for various reasons.
The error is nondescriptive and can have various meanings.
Even though you may be able to successfully log into the R | Trader software, when connecting to the Rithmic system using their C++ API, which Sierra Chart uses, you can still encounter the common "Permission Denied" error.
Follow the instructions below to resolve this condition.
- Select Global Settings >> Data/Trade Service Settings.
- The Service Setting >> Server, Service Setting >> Username, and Service Setting >> Password settings that you have set may be incorrect. Contact your broker for help with these settings if you are not sure what they should be set to. You do not enter your Sierra Chart Account Name and Password for these Username and Password settings. In the case of a Rithmic demo account, it is necessary to set the Server to Paper Trading Server .
- Due to the fact that we do not know your Rithmic Username and Password or what particular Rithmic server you should be connecting to necessarily, and the fact that we do not know what the specific underlying cause is for the "Permission Denied" error, it is necessary to for you to rely on your broker for support for setting these fields. If there is a clear technical question Sierra Chart Support is able to answer, then we can be contacted through an Account Support Ticket in regards to that question.
- Press OK to close to Data/Trade Service Settings window.
- Try connecting again with File >> Connect to Data Feed.
- If you still are encountering a "Permission Denied" error, continue following the remaining steps to isolate the cause.
- The "Permission Denied" error can be encountered because the Rithmic server is unavailable to be connected to. This error commonly can be encountered over the weekend. In this case it is best to wait until Sunday evening to see if you can connect to determine if this is the problem or there is some other problem.
- In the case of a new Rithmic account, it is necessary to log into the R | Trader software with your Rithmic Username and Password at least once, before it is possible to connect Sierra Chart to your Rithmic account. Therefore, first log into the R | Trader. It is necessary to complete the Rithmic Market Data Agreements and Self-Certification Process. Every Rithmic user must complete this process before they will be able to login to any trading platform. To complete this process, use these instructions below:
- Download & Install R Trader using this link.
- Launch R Trader and enter the demo Username and Password provided by your broker.
- For the 'System' field, please choose 'Rithmic Paper Trading'.
- The agreements will pop up in a new window, please double click on each of them and agree or certify yourself as either Non-Professional or Professional.
- Once these both appear as green and accepted you should then be able to connect here Rithmic account within Sierra Chart. You may close R Trader at this point if you wish.
- The "Permission Denied" error is encountered because you are using a Rithmic demo account and it is not allowed to connect usually because there was a previous Rithmic account used on your system, or for another reason. In this particular case Sierra Chart support cannot provide any help with this since we do not control the connections. Your broker will need to contact Rithmic for help with this. Rithmic will need to know that particular Username being used and the Global Settings >> Data/Trade Service Settings >> Service Setting >> Server setting being used.
- Rithmic demo accounts are limited to 30 days per exchange guidelines on providing live, streaming data. If you have used a Rithmic demo previously you will not be able to login with a new Rithmic demo Username.
- The "Permission Denied" error is encountered because your Rithmic Username has been disabled. You will need to contact your broker about this.
- The "Permission Denied" error is encountered for some other unknown reason. You will need to contact your broker about this.
- The "Permission Denied" error is encountered because you are trying to connect more than once to your Rithmic account. In this case contact your broker and request them to allow your Rithmic Username the number of simultaneous connections needed for your account. Usually 2 will be sufficient.
- Rithmic has said that a Permission Denied error could also mean a firewall is blocking the connection. For more help on this, refer to help topic 1.2. A firewall can also cause a Rithmic OS Error as well.
- So as you can see, there are a myriad of potential problems as to why you may get a "Permission Denied" error. None of which Sierra Chart has any control over and the nondescriptive "Permission Denied" error message is a message from the Rithmic system. Not from Sierra Chart.
Instructions to Provide Rithmic Log File to Support
Follow the instructions below to provide the Rithmic log file to Sierra Chart support. When Sierra Chart support receives this log file it will be provided to Rithmic along with a description of the problem in order for Rithmic to provide guidance to resolve whatever the problem is.
- Start a new Support Request on the Support Board.
- Follow the instructions to Attach a File.
- When attaching the file, you will need to navigate to the folder C:\SierraChart\Rim on your system. If Sierra Chart is installed into a different folder on your system, then navigate to the folder it is installed to.
- The Rithmic log file is named Rithmic.log.000. Attach this file. Make sure it is attached privately.
- Type a a description of the problem and Submit the support request.
*Last modified Sunday, 22nd January, 2017.