Global Settings Menu
Displays the General Settings window.
Displays the Graphic Settings window.
Data/Trade Service Settings
Displays the Data/Trade Service Settings window.
Quote Spreadsheet Settings
Opens the Quote Spreadsheet Settings window.
Displays the General Tool Settings window which sets general tool settings and settings for the Chart Values tool.
The Tool Configuration menu lists all of the available drawing Tools. When you select a Tool, the configuration window for that Tool will be displayed. For complete details, refer to Drawing Tool Configuration.
Error Filter Settings
Displays the Error Filter Settings window.
Global Settings >> Intraday File Update List
This command displays the the Intraday File Update List window. Sierra Chart will maintain Intraday chart data for symbols entered into this window whether the charts are opened for those symbols or not, while connected to the data feed (File >> Connect to Data Feed).
Do not use the SCID file extension when entering symbols in this list. Just enter the symbol itself.
This list does not maintain data for Historical Daily charts.
To Add A Symbol To This List: Press the Add button. Type the symbol in the Symbol text box. Press Add before entering each symbol. Press OK when done. When done and currently connected to the data feed, historical Intraday data will be downloaded for new symbols and real-time market data updates will be started for them.
To Delete A Symbol: Select the symbol in the list box and press the Delete button.
To Import a List of Symbols: There is the ability to import a list of symbols from a text file. Each symbol needs to be on its own line in the text file. After you have created a file with the list of symbols, press the Import button. Select the file from the Open file window and press Open to import the list of symbols.
To have market depth data subscribed to for the symbol from the connected Data/Trading service, append a |MDD to the end of the symbol.
This command opens the Global Symbol Settings window.
Customize Control Bars >> Control Bar 1-8
Refer to Customize Control Bars.
Customize Menu Items
Customize Menu Items allows you to change the names for the available menu commands.
Below are descriptions for all of the controls in this window.
- Commands: This list contains all of the available menu commands which can have the name changed for them.
- Selected Menu Item: This displays the currently selected menu item.
- Custom Menu Item Name: Enter in this box the new name for the Selected Menu Item.
- Assign: This command button will set the specified Custom Menu Item Name to the Selected Menu Item.
- Remove: This command button will clear the previously specified Custom Menu Item Name from the Selected Menu Item.
- Set All To Defaults: This command will remove all of the Custom Menu Item Names which have been previously assigned.
- OK: Saves the changes made.
- Cancel: Cancels without saving any changes.
Set System Date-Time from Server
When this command is selected, the current Date-Time is requested from the Sierra Chart server and your computer's Date and Time is set using this received Date-Time.
The time zone setting on your computer is properly considered when the time is being set.
The Date-Time received from the Sierra Chart server is moved forward by 50 percent of the amount of time it takes to receive it from the server. The maximum adjustment will not exceed 5 seconds.
If your computer's clock is off by more than 24 hours, the Date and Time will not be adjusted for safety reasons.
Detailed information about the setting of the Date-Time is provided in the Window >> Message Log after selecting this command.
If you encounter the following error in the Window >> Message Log, then this is an indication that the operating system permissions or version is not allowing a program to set the system Date-Time.
Customize Chart Header
To open this window, select Global Settings >> Customize Chart Header on the menu.
Displays the Customize Chart Header window which allows you to Add, Remove, Move Up (move left), and Move Down (move right) all of the fields along the Chart Header, which is the top text information line at the top of the chart window. Refer to the image, to see what the Chart Header is.
For a description of each of the available Chart Header fields, refer to Chart Header Field Descriptions.
The following image shows highlighted fields. To highlight a field, select the field name in the Selected Header Fields box in the Customize Chart Header window. Press the Reverse Color button. Each field that has a reverse color, will be prefixed with RC (reverse color) in the Selected Header Fields list. If you do not want to highlight a field and it is already highlighted, then select it and press the Reverse Color button to set it to normal text.
Global Settings >> Customize Chart Shortcut Menu
When right clicking on a chart with your pointing device, a menu will be displayed. This is called the Chart Shortcut Menu. This menu can contain whatever menu commands that you require.
To Add, Remove, Move Up, or Move Down the menu commands on the menu, select Global Settings >> Customize Chart Shortcut Menu. You can add any of the available menu commands that you find on the Sierra Chart menus.
The Study Settings and Delete and Download Data menu items cannot be removed. These are considered basic required commands on the Chart Shortcut menu.
Customize Chart Trade Menu (Global Settings >> Customize Chart Trade Menu)
When Trade >> Chart Trade Mode is enabled and you right-click on a chart with your pointing device, a menu will be displayed. This is called the Chart Shortcut Menu. This menu will also contain various trading related commands. The particular commands that will be added to this menu are customized through the Global Settings >> Customize Chart Trade Menu window.
Through the Customize Chart Trade Menu window you can Add, Remove, Move Up, or Move Down the trading related menu commands which are displayed on the Chart Shortcut Menu.
Customize Chart Drawing Menu
This command opens the Customize Chart Drawing Menu window. This window is for setting the Chart Drawing related commands to display on the right-click menu which displays when you right-click with your pointer on a chart. Chart Drawings are drawn with Chart Drawing Tools.
Customize Keyboard Shortcuts
This command opens the Customize Keyboard Shortcuts window. The Customize Keyboard Shortcuts window is used for assigning keyboard shortcut keys to any of the available menu commands. To do this follow the instructions below.
It needs to be understood that Keyboard Shortcuts map to menu commands. When a menu command is not enabled within the current context, the keyboard command will not do anything and be ignored.
- Select Global Settings >> Customize Keyboard Shortcuts.
- In the Commands list, choose the particular menu command that you wish to set up a keyboard shortcut for.
- Choose the particular key in the list of keyboard keys and the key modifiers (Control, Alt, Shift) to assign to the Selected Command.
- Note: Do not use individual letters and numbers for keyboard shortcuts without a modifier (Control, Alt, Shift). Keyboard shortcuts are handled at the operating system level and you will lose use of these individual letters and numbers that you use if you are not using a modifier. For example, if you use the number 1, you will not be able to type 1 any longer within Sierra Chart text boxes.
- Press the Assign button to assign the chosen keyboard shortcut to the Selected Command.
- Commands: This lists all of the available menu commands that you can set keyboard shortcuts for.
- Selected Command: This displays the currently selected menu command.
- Key Settings: These controls display and set the specific shortcut key modifiers and key to use for the Selected Command.
- Key Currently Used By: This displays the command that is currently using the selected shortcut key settings.
- Assign: This assigns the selected keyboard shortcut settings to the Selected Command.
- Remove: This removes the selected keyboard shortcut settings, from being assigned to the command that currently uses them.
- Set All to Defaults: This button sets the menu commands to use their default keyboard shortcuts. Not all menu commands will have a keyboard shortcut. It is necessary to press the OK button to save the changes from this action.
- Clear All Shortcuts: This button clears all of the keyboard shortcuts from all of the menu commands. Therefore, no keyboard shortcuts will be set. It is necessary to press the OK button to save the changes from this action.
Once a Keyboard shortcut is set up it will always be assigned to the particular command you have set it to. In the very rare case that the internal identifier for a particular command were to be changed within Sierra Chart, then the Keyboard shortcut for that command would be pointing to a different command. This is an extremely unlikely condition as these identifiers never change. However, it is stated here is a potential condition for completeness with this documentation.
General Trade Settings
Opens the General Trade Settings window.
Chart Trade Settings
Opens the Chart Trade Settings window.
Chart DOM Settings
Opens the Chart DOM Settings window.
Customize Trade DOM Columns
Opens the Customize Trade DOM Columns window. This customizes the columns on Trade DOM windows. For more information, refer to Customize Trade DOM and Chart DOM Columns.
Customize Chart DOM Columns
Opens the Customize Chart DOM Columns window. This customizes the columns of the optional Chart DOM on a chart (Trade >> Trading Chart DOM On). For more information, refer to Customize Trade DOM and Chart DOM Columns.
The Spreadsheet Settings window contains global Spreadsheet configuration options.
Spreadsheet Study >> Recalculate the Chart When a Formula Column Is Changed
When this option is enabled, then when entering a formula on a Sheet which is being used by one of the Spreadsheet Studies, then the associated chart will be automatically recalculated.
You may want to disable this option if you make frequent manual changes to the Sheet formulas and there is not a need for an automatic recalculation of the chart which could be time-consuming due to the amount of data in the Sheet and the complexity of the formulas.
For the documentation for the other settings in this window, refer to Working with Spreadsheets.
Clear Alert Sound Queue
There can be many alert sounds that have been triggered in Sierra Chart from one or more studies which are in the queue waiting to be played.
In this case, you will be hearing sound after sound until the queue becomes empty. To clear the alert sound queue, select Global Settings >> Clear Alert Sound Queue on the menu.
*Last modified Wednesday, 07th December, 2016.