- To Create a New Chartbook
- To Add a New Chart To a Chartbook
- To Add a New Trade DOM To a Chartbook
- To Remove a Chart From a Chartbook
- Arranging Open Charts in a Chartbook
- To Save a Chartbook
- To Close a Chartbook
- To Open a Chartbook
- To Switch Between Loaded Chartbooks
- Deleting a Chartbook
- Making a Copy of a Chartbook
- Automatically Open a Chartbook
- Selecting Charts or Navigating Among Charts
- Renaming a Chartbook
- Keeping a Chart Window Always Visible / Sharing a Chart Between Chartbooks
- Sharing a Chartbook with Another User or Copying it to Another Installation
- Restoring Prior State of Chartbook
- Using a Chartbook Provided by Sierra Chart Support
- Sharing a Chart with Another User
- Accessing a Backup Chartbook File
All chart windows, Time and Sales windows, Market Depth windows, Trade windows, Trade DOM windows, and Spreadsheets are contained within Chartbooks. A Chartbook is not a window. It is a collection of multiple windows.
A Chartbook is like a desktop/layout/workspace for Sierra Chart. Multiple charts and other windows can be within a single Chartbook. When a chart or Trade DOM window is opened, it is added to a Chartbook. A new Chartbook named chartbook#.cht is created if one is not already open when a chart or Trade DOM is opened.
The charts and other windows are saved by saving the entire Chartbook they are contained within. A Chartbook can be later opened with all the charts, other windows and all of the related settings completely restored to the way they were when you closed it, assuming you saved the Chartbook at the time of closing.
Many chartbooks can be loaded but only 1 can be visible at a time. To have multiple Chartbooks visible at the same time requires that you use additional instances of Sierra Chart. Each instance can display a separate Chartbook. For instructions, refer to Using DTC Server for Data and Trading in Another Sierra Chart Instance.
Refer to the File Menu documentation page for commands to use with chartbooks.
Refer to the Chartbook Tasks section below for all of the various Chartbook related tasks that you can do.
To Create a New Chartbook
Select File >> New Chartbook on the menu. If you already have a Chartbook opened, then that Chartbook will be hidden. Instructions for displaying it again are described below.
To Add a New Chart To a Chartbook
Open or switch to the Chartbook you want to add a chart window to. Open a Chartbook with Open >> Open Chartbook on the menu. You can switch to an open Chartbook by finding it on the CB menu. Select File >> New/Open Historical or Intraday Chart to open your chart window. Set the chart up the way you want. Then save the Chartbook as explained on this page. You can add as many charts as you want to a Chartbook without limit.
To Add a New Trade DOM To a Chartbook
Open or switch to the Chartbook you want add the Trade DOM to. Open a Chartbook with Open >> Open Chartbook on the menu. You can switch to an open Chartbook by finding it on the CB menu. Select File >> Open Trade DOM to open the Trade DOM. Set it up the way that you require. Then save the Chartbook as explained on this page. A Trade DOM is a special version of a chart used specifically for trading purposes.
To Remove a Chart From a Chartbook
Make sure the chart you want to remove is active by clicking anywhere on the chart window. Select File >> Close Active Window. If prompted to remove the chart, click Yes. Save the Chartbook by selecting File >> Save.
Arranging Open Charts in a Chartbook
It is possible to automatically arrange the open charts in your Chartbook by selecting one of the following commands on the Window menu: Cascade, Tile Horizontally, Tile Vertically.
To Save a Chartbook
Go to one of the visible charts in the Chartbook and make sure it is active. You can do that by left clicking on its title bar with your Pointer or on the window itself.
Select File >> Save or File >> Save As on the menu.
If you select File >> Save As or if the Chartbook was never saved before, then a File Save window will be displayed. Enter a file name to save it to. Press Save to save the Chartbook.
To Close a Chartbook
Select File >> Close Chartbook on the menu. You can also use the Close Chartbook Control Bar button. The Control Bar by default is located below the main menu of the main Sierra Chart window. This button can be added through Global Settings >> Customize Control Bars >> Control Bar #.
To Open a Chartbook
Select File >> Open Chartbook on the menu. Select the Chartbook file from the Open File window and press Open. Or, select the Chartbook you just saved from Chartbooks listed on the right side of the File menu. All of the charts in the Chartbook will open up with all the same settings, window sizes and positions, at the time that Chartbook was saved.
To Switch Between Loaded Chartbooks
There are 3 ways to switch between loaded chartbooks:
- Chartbook Tabs : Select Global Settings >> General Settings >> General 2. Enable the Show Chartbooks Tabs option in the Tabs frame. Set Place Chartbook Tabs At to either Top or Bottom depending upon where you want them. Press OK. You will see Chartbook tabs displayed on the main Sierra Chart window. Each tab will have the Chartbook name on it for the Chartbook it is for. Click on any of these tabs to switch among the loaded chartbooks. Refer to image.
- Keyboard : Use F7 or F8 keys to switch to the prior or next Chartbook. The Window menu also has the same commands for switching to another Chartbook. When switching to another Chartbook, the currently visible one will be hidden and the next one will be displayed.
- Menu : Select CB on the menu. This lists all of your opened chartbooks. Select on the menu the Chartbook name to switch to.
Deleting a Chartbook
- Select File >> Open Chartbook on the menu.
- Locate the Chartbook filename in the file list in the displayed Open Chartbook window. You can use the Search box at the top to help locate the file by typing a portion of the filename.
- Selects the Chartbook filename.
- Press the Delete File button.
- Press the Cancel button.
- If you have recently opened a Chartbook that you have later deleted and you want to clear it from the Recently Used File List on the right side of the File menu, then select File >> Clear Recent File List.
Making a Copy of a Chartbook">
- Open the Chartbook you want to make a copy of by following the To Open a Chartbook instructions.
- Select File >> Save As on the menu.
- Enter the new file name that you want to save the Chartbook as.
- Press the Save button. The currently open Chartbook now represents a copy of the original Chartbook.
- To open the original Chartbook, follow the To Open a Chartbook instructions.
Automatically Open a Chartbook
To open a Chartbook automatically when you start Sierra Chart, select Global Settings >> General Settings on the menu. In the Files To Open on Startup frame, press the Add button. Select an existing saved Chartbook from the Open File window and press Open. If you wish to remove a Chartbook from this list, highlight it in the list and press the Remove button.
Controlling the Order in Which Chartbooks Are Automatically Opened
To have your Chartbooks opened in a particular order so they appear in a particular order on the Chartbook tabs after they are opened, then follow these steps:
- Add your Chartbooks to the Files To Open on Startup list.
- Select a particular Chartbook in the list and press the Move Up or Move Down buttons to adjust its position in the list. Adjust the order of other Chartbooks as necessary. Chartbooks listed at the top are opened first.
Selecting Charts or Navigating Among Charts
Refer to the Selecting Charts or Navigating Among Charts documentation.
Renaming a Chartbook
- It is first recommended that you close the Chartbook you wish to rename if it is open. To close the Chartbook if it is open, make sure the Chartbook is active by selecting it from the CB menu and then select File >> Close Chartbook on the menu.
- Select File >> Open Chartbook on the menu. Locate the Chartbook in the list of Chartbooks in the displayed Open Chartbook window.
- Right click with your Pointer over the name of the Chartbook and select Rename on the menu.
- Type in the new name. If you do see a CHT File extension in the file name, then make certain that the CHT file extension is still there when you rename the file.
- Press the Enter key on your keyboard to save the name or click away from the box where you entered the new Chartbook filename.
- Once you have renamed the Chartbook, simply select it in the list and press Open to reopen it.
Keeping a Chart Window Always Visible / Sharing a Chart Between Chartbooks
It is possible to keep a chart window always visible even if it is not part of the active Chartbook, but the Chartbook is still open in the background. This allows you to share a chart between Chartbooks and always keep a particular chart or charts always visible.
Go to the chart that you want to make always visible and select Window >> Window Always Visible. Uncheck this menu command to make a chart only visible when the Chartbook it is part of, is the active Chartbook. It is recommended not to overuse this feature, so there is no confusion as to what Chartbook a chart belongs to.
Window >> Window Always Visible: This command applies to chart windows. When this option is checked, indicating it is enabled, then a chart window will always remain visible even when it is part of a Chartbook that is not the active Chartbook. This allows you to share a chart among multiple Chartbooks. The chart still belongs to its own Chartbook, but it still remains visible when another Chartbook is active.
Sharing a Chartbook with Another User or Copying it to Another Installation
Follow the instructions below to share a Chartbook with another user or copy it to another installation of Sierra Chart.
- The first thing to be aware of is that color settings for the main price graph in a chart use the global color settings (Global Settings >> Graphics Settings-Global). Therefore, unless the destination copy of Sierra Chart that you are copying the Chartbook to uses the same global color settings, the main price graph colors will be different.
One solution to this is to use the chart specific color settings which are set through Chart >> Graphics Settings. For additional information, refer to Graphics Settings.
- First save the Chartbook if it has not already been saved by selecting File >> Save. If it has not been previously saved, you will be presented with a Save File window to specify the File Name.
The current name of the Chartbook will be shown in the File Name box and can be modified. If the Save File window is not displayed, then you can find out the name of your active Chartbook by looking on the title bar of the main window of Sierra Chart.
- When you save the Chartbook file, it is saved to the Sierra Chart Data Files Folder with a Cht file extension.
- To determine the location of the Data Files Folder, select Global Settings >> General Settings. Look in the Data Files Folder box. Make a note of this complete folder path.
- Go to the Data Files Folder on your system through the file manager program in your operating system.
- If you will be providing the Chartbook file to another user, then you will need to provide that user a copy of the Chartbook file.
If you will be copying the Chartbook to another installation of Sierra Chart on a different computer, then you will need to copy it to the other computer. Otherwise, if you will be copying it to another folder on the same system, then you can just simply Copy it from the source folder and Paste it into the destination Data Files Folder. Refer to the next step to determine the location of the destination Data Files Folder.
- The Chartbook file needs to be copied/saved to the Data Files Folder in the other copy of Sierra Chart where it will be used. To determine the location of the Data Files Folder in the copy of Sierra Chart where you will be using the Chartbook, select Global Settings >> General Settings in the destination copy of Sierra Chart. Look in the Data Files Folder box. That folder is where you need to save the Chartbook to.
- After saving Chartbook file, to open the Chartbook in the destination copy, select File >> Open Chartbook. Select the Chartbook in the file list and press Open.
- When the Chartbook is opened in another installation of Sierra Chart that is connected to the same Data or Trading service, the chart data will be automatically downloaded for the charts in the Chartbook.
If it is used in a copy of Sierra Chart using a different Data or Trading service, then the symbols of the charts will need to be changed to match the Data or Trading service that it is being used with.
- In the case where you are using any of the Spreadsheet studies in a chart in the Chartbook you have copied, you also need to copy the Spreadsheet files. These have a .scss file extension. These are also located in the Data Files Folder and need to be saved into the destination Data Files Folder.
Restoring Prior State of Chartbook
If you need to go back to a prior state of a Chartbook when that Chartbook has already been saved and after changes to the Chartbook which have not yet been saved, then follow the instructions below.
For example if a chart window is mistakenly closed and it was previously saved as part of a Chartbook which is currently open, then it is possible to restore it.
- Select File >> Close Chartbook to close the Chartbook.
- When prompted to save the Chartbook, press No.
- Open the Chartbook by selecting File >> Open Chartbook.
- Select that Chartbook from the list of files and press the Open button.
- At this point, you will have the prior state of the Chartbook at the last time it was saved.
- Additionally, there are backup Chartbooks available, one for each day of the month, which can be restored. For instructions to use a backup Chartbook, refer to Backup Chartbooks Files.
Using a Chartbook Provided by Sierra Chart Support
Follow the instructions below to save a Chartbook from the Support Board which has provided by Sierra Chart support or another user.
- Go to the message thread on the Support Board which contains the posting which has an attached Chartbook. Refer to the image below.
- Left click on the Chartbook file name at the bottom of the posting which has a CHT file extension.
- Your web browser should prompt you for the location to save this file. Is needs to be saved to the Sierra Chart Data Files Folder. To determine the location of the Data Files Folder, select Global Settings >> General Settings. Look in the Data Files Folder box. This is where you need to save the Chartbook file from your web browser.
- Go to Sierra Chart and select File >> Open Chartbook.
- You will ssee the Chartbook you saved listed.
- Select the Chartbook in the list of files and press the Open button.
Sharing a Chart with Another User
Follow the instructions below to save an individual chart as a new Chartbook which can then be shared with another user.
- Select Chart >> Graphics Settings and uncheck Use Global Graphics Settings Instead of These Settings.
- Set the color and other graphics settings. Refer to the Graphics Settings page.
- Select File >> New Chartbook .
- Go back to the prior Chartbook through the CB menu containing the chart you want to share.
- Select Chart >> Duplicate Chart to Chartbook and duplicate the chart to the new Chartbook you created.
- Go to the new Chartbook through the CB menu and select File >> Save.
- Enter the File Name you want to save it as and press the Save button.
- Share the Chartbook file as explained in the Sharing a Chartbook with Another User Or Copying It to Another System section.
Accessing a Backup Chartbook File
Sierra Chart saves copies of the Chartbook files for the last 30 days. Every time a Chartbook is saved a copy of it is saved in the Backups subfolder. There is a separate backup Chartbook file for each day of the month.
These files are located in the Backups subfolder in the folder that Sierra Chart is installed to on your system.
The File format is [Day of month].[Chartbook Filename].Cht. Example: 1.Chartbook1.Cht
To access a backup Chartbook file, follow the steps given below:
- Select File >> Open Chartbook on the Sierra Chart menu.
- In the Open Chartbook window, press the Folder button.
- In the list of folders, navigate to the Backups folder within the folder that Sierra Chart is installed to. In the list of folders, that should be just above the Data folder.
- Press OK.
- You will now see all of the backup Chartbooks listed in the file list.
- Locate the particular backup Chartbook file that you want and select it.
- Press the Open button.
- After the backup Chartbook file has been opened, select File >>Save As to save it with any name that you want. You can save it as the original name and overwrite the original Chartbook. This is an important step to follow to ensure the backup Chartbook is saved in the main Data Files Folder.
- If you want to change the symbol of a chart, refer to the Changing the Symbol of a Chart documentation page for instructions.
- You can save a group of chart studies and add them to a chart with one step. Refer to the Study Collections page for instructions.
- Chartbooks do not contain the data contained in chart data files (files with a .DLY and .SCID extension) from which the chart bars are built from. They only contain chart configuration data.
*Last modified Tuesday, 30th August, 2016.