Using the Basic Arithmetic Studies
- Arithmetic Studies Example
- Displaying Calculated Value As a Single Text Value on the Chart
In Sierra Chart it is possible to perform additional relatively simple calculations on the existing studies in Analysis >> Studies >> Studies Available, by using a combination of the Study Subgraph/Subgraphs Arithmetic studies which can be based on other studies including other arithmetic studies.
Alternatively, there is also the Spreadsheet Formula study.
The arithmetic studies are as follows:
- Study Subgraph Add
- Study Subgraphs Add
- Study Subgraphs Average
- Study Subgraph Standard Deviation
- Study Subgraph Subtract
- Study Subgraphs Subtract/Difference
- Study Subgraph Multiply
- Study Subgraphs Multiply
- Study Subgraph Divide
- Study Subgraphs Divide/Ratio
- Study Subgraphs Reference
- Study Subgraph Absolute Value
Or for more advanced programming use the Advanced Custom Study Interface and Language.
Arithmetic Studies Example
This example will calculate an upper band which is 1.5 times the distance between the two study Subgraphs of the High/Low for Time Period study.
Refer to the image below for the example.
- First add the study to the chart that you want to perform additional calculations on. In this particular example we are using the High/Low for Time Period study. Therefore, add this study to the chart.
- Add the Study Subgraphs Difference. Set it to calculate the difference between the two Subgraphs of the High/Low for Time Period study. Enable the Hide Study option in the Study Settings window for this study.
- Add the Study Subgraph Multiply study. Set it to be based on the Study Subgraphs Difference study and multiply it by whatever amount you require. In this example we are using 1.5. Enable the Hide Study option in the Study Settings window for this study.
- Add the Study Subgraphs Add study to the chart and set it to add the High line of the High/Low for Time Period study and the Study Subgraph Multiply study.
Displaying Calculated Value As a Single Text Value on the Chart
When using the arithmetic studies, you may want to display the calculated result as a single value on the chart and hide the studies themselves.
To do this, use the Text Display for Study study.
To hide studies on the chart, use the Hide Study option on the Study Settings window for each of the arithmetic studies being used.
*Last modified Tuesday, 15th May, 2018.